Richard Freudenberg, SF, Germany - ST. JOHN'S

• 390 replies

TONYD3

Re: Richard Freudenberg, SF, Germany - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:18 PM »
I kind of just wanted to get answer from moose . Wasn't really trying to start a Lavin debate. Top 6 is fine with me. I hope we get there. I am not as anti Mullin as some think. I just find it absurd that he gets so much praise. Giving him a pass is fine. Pass equals = incomplete. Not A pending A plus.
Top 6 for next year should be realistic. Not expecting that. If Mullin gets us there he deserves all the praise and credit. If he falls WAY short, he takes the blame.
My hope for next year is we get a basketball season. If Mullin can do that and the team improves and we are good every year. I will be loyal to him I don't love Lavin. But he gave me 5 years of fun basketball . That is the longest stretch in my lifetime.
Plenty of things to fix for next year. Butler, Xavier, creighton and nova are really well coached.
Even DePaul is coached much better then years past. I think everyone is going to be disappointed tomorrow.
the young guy doesn't look like the problem to me. He just needs plenty of help.
I have no idea, but 2 recruiters out of 4 coaches seems like a lot. I have no idea what happens at practice but they are not impressive during games.
Thank you moose for answering my question . :-*

Marillac

« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2016, 01:33:45 AM »
6-9 and great form, athletic.... he will learn rapidly.  By his junior year he will be excellent.  Why would anyone have 2nd thoughts?

Because there is no group of bipolar fans more than those of SJU
Yeah some were mad last year when we actually won games.

Some criticize a first year coach but forget what got us here
Carry on!

It's unfair to put all of the blame on Mullin for our winless BE record, but he and his staff should get some of it, no?

Sure if you want.  Not being cavalier.  If you want to place some blame sure.
I just find it funny some people would defend Lavin but kill Mullin.  That's all.

Me personally I DGAF about this year.  It's been over for awhile in my mind.  I have my standards for next year and funny most will probably think they are too lofty.  But I just know how the sooner you're good the better it will make things long term.  The longer it takes the more chance of things happening to derail things.
And you expect us to be good next year? I don't! We will be better because we can't be this bad. Good is a winning record. I think we fall well short of that. And again many will blame the former coach.
Please share your standards.

You can't say that a car without an engine or missing two wheels won't run well once it gets those parts just because it isn't currently running.  There is no use trying to predict anything for next year off of this group, because there are too many damn holes.  This is the least athletic team in the league, they are playing short-handed, they have very little experience together, and they aren't particularly skilled as a team.

Lovett will be a redshirt soph.  He was ready from day one this year and he'll be shot out of a cannon day 1 next year.  Owens will be a redshirt soph.  Ahmed will be a junior.  RF plays at the professional level and at the top camps around the world.  Ponds is a small guard and they are frequently ready from day one--especially those ranked inside the top 40 with no shortage of skill.   Plus, the staff should be exponentially better and more prepared. 

At the very least, this team will go from the absolute bottom of the league athletically to very near or at the top, and they are adding scoring, shooting, ball-handling, size, and depth in process.  Let's just keep an open mind and remain positive. I am not saying we should expect this, but would anyone really be THAT surprised if Lovett or Ponds just went nuts from day one and dominated?  Or if they just both played really well in the same back court?  I wouldn't.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:35:08 AM by Marillac »

Moose

« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
I kind of just wanted to get answer from moose . Wasn't really trying to start a Lavin debate. Top 6 is fine with me. I hope we get there. I am not as anti Mullin as some think. I just find it absurd that he gets so much praise. Giving him a pass is fine. Pass equals = incomplete. Not A pending A plus.
Top 6 for next year should be realistic. Not expecting that. If Mullin gets us there he deserves all the praise and credit. If he falls WAY short, he takes the blame.
My hope for next year is we get a basketball season. If Mullin can do that and the team improves and we are good every year. I will be loyal to him I don't love Lavin. But he gave me 5 years of fun basketball . That is the longest stretch in my lifetime.
Plenty of things to fix for next year. Butler, Xavier, creighton and nova are really well coached.
Even DePaul is coached much better then years past. I think everyone is going to be disappointed tomorrow.
the young guy doesn't look like the problem to me. He just needs plenty of help.
I have no idea, but 2 recruiters out of 4 coaches seems like a lot. I have no idea what happens at practice but they are not impressive during games.
Thank you moose for answering my question . :-*

Anytime sweetheart ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
6-9 and great form, athletic.... he will learn rapidly.  By his junior year he will be excellent.  Why would anyone have 2nd thoughts?

Because there is no group of bipolar fans more than those of SJU
Yeah some were mad last year when we actually won games.

Some criticize a first year coach but forget what got us here
Carry on!

It's unfair to put all of the blame on Mullin for our winless BE record, but he and his staff should get some of it, no?

Sure if you want.  Not being cavalier.  If you want to place some blame sure.
I just find it funny some people would defend Lavin but kill Mullin.  That's all.

Me personally I DGAF about this year.  It's been over for awhile in my mind.  I have my standards for next year and funny most will probably think they are too lofty.  But I just know how the sooner you're good the better it will make things long term.  The longer it takes the more chance of things happening to derail things.
And you expect us to be good next year? I don't! We will be better because we can't be this bad. Good is a winning record. I think we fall well short of that. And again many will blame the former coach.
Please share your standards.

You can't say that a car without an engine or missing two wheels won't run well once it gets those parts just because it isn't currently running.  There is no use trying to predict anything for next year off of this group, because there are too many damn holes.  This is the least athletic team in the league, they are playing short-handed, they have very little experience together, and they aren't particularly skilled as a team.

Lovett will be a redshirt soph.  He was ready from day one this year and he'll be shot out of a cannon day 1 next year.  Owens will be a redshirt soph.  Ahmed will be a junior.  RF plays at the professional level and at the top camps around the world.  Ponds is a small guard and they are frequently ready from day one--especially those ranked inside the top 40 with no shortage of skill.   Plus, the staff should be exponentially better and more prepared. 

At the very least, this team will go from the absolute bottom of the league athletically to very near or at the top, and they are adding scoring, shooting, ball-handling, size, and depth in process.  Let's just keep an open mind and remain positive. I am not saying we should expect this, but would anyone really be THAT surprised if Lovett or Ponds just went nuts from day one and dominated?  Or if they just both played really well in the same back court?  I wouldn't.

and as much as big men count, we all know college BB is run by guards like Ullis, ect. We will be fine next season. Top 6 is a nice goal we can aquire for 2017.

Pete88

« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
I have no idea what happens at practice but they are not impressive during games.

Hard to look impressive when your talent level is significantly inferior to that of the competition.  Let's see how he does with a somewhat level playing field. 

« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2016, 09:19:34 PM »
looks like he's 743/1000 (74.3%) for FT's and put out a challenge to Mussini
twitter.com/RichardFreudenb/status/706929102419333120
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:21:07 PM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »

Looks like Max Hooper's Twitter feed.

« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »

Not sure those are FT's  ;)

MCNPA

« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »

Not sure those are FT's  ;)

Yeah, not FT's... Treys...

« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2016, 10:27:30 PM »
I just assumed it was FT's...

.. Mussini had replied "Easy win for me" so with him shooting 86% in games, FT's seemed to make more sense.

75% seems ridiculous....  especially a HS kid even if unguarded in practice but if true I'm not complaining !!!!.

« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2016, 10:44:22 PM »

.. Mussini had replied "Easy win for me" so with him shooting 86% in games, FT's seemed to make more sense.

75% seems ridiculous....  especially a HS kid even if unguarded in practice but if true I'm not complaining !!!!.

Hooper used to post the same thing with better results. We saw how that worked out for us. (This season at Oakland not withstanding)

« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:01:42 PM by RedStormNC »

MCNPA

« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2016, 11:27:58 PM »

Hooper used to post the same thing with better results. We saw how that worked out for us. (This season at Oakland not withstanding)

Hooper purely an outside jump shooter though.  And Hooper's feet are glued to the court.  Freduenberg's are not.  He's a pretty dynamic ball player and 6'10" to boot.  Hooper's used to be timed to 100 shots as well.  Freeudenberg's is clocked for 1000 shots.  As the number goes up in sure less go in as well.

The truth of it is, the only real important takeaway is that The kid is taking 1000 shots practicing his outside shooting.  That right there is great to see...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:29:21 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »
I'm just saying don't expect him to hit a 70% clip

MCNPA

« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2016, 02:27:34 AM »

Definitely wouldn't expect that.  But shooting that many and hitting that many, even in practice is a good sign he's working hard at it..

Marillac

« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

Thinking higher?

« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »

Thinking higher?

I mean I thought Hooper was gonna be 100% from three bc of these things. Don't be me. Don't be dumb.

« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »
Mussini at 81% at the halfway point to 1000 shots

https://twitter.com/FMussini/status/709479917814222849
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:04:04 PM by RedStormNC »

Marillac

« Reply #299 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »

Thinking higher?

I mean I thought Hooper was gonna be 100% from three bc of these things. Don't be me. Don't be dumb.

I was kidding. Hooper relies solely on his teammates to set him up. We head no pure PG or coach, so he was screwed. RF is a basketball player that can create his own looks one-on-one according to several experts that have seen him play. Plus, closing out on a bouncy 6'9 kid is a world harder than on a flat-footed 6'6 shooter that can't and won't hurt you on a shot-fake.

Better to see 74 now than not, but game situation is a different world.