Terrance Ferguson - SF - Dallas, TX - API

• 131 replies
Re: Terrance Ferguson - SF - Dallas, TX - API
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
Again, same thing with Lovett.  Entirely different scenario last season at this time.

If you told me Ferguson was a flip of the coin and isn't looking to be a one and done kid, I'd agree with you Baldi that he'd be worth the risk, even at this point.  With what Dave and others said, I'm OK passing.  It isn't like we have the best track record with dealing with the NCAA on this.  Even with Lovett, there were plenty of people not connected to the program, but dialed into the college hoops scene, who thought he had a solid shot at being cleared. 

If we landed the kid, lost out on one of the transfers, this board would be going to ballistic. I'm all for a school like SJU taking risks, especially at this stage, but would pass on any kid who the staff thinks is highly likely to be ineligible.

Like everyone went ballistic with the Darien Williams Scholly?

Completely different situation and you know it

How so? Waste of a Scholly no?

Sure, now it is. But he was brought in with no eligibility concerns as somebody that was going to contribute for a few years. Unfortunately he got hurt and hasn't panned out as hoped but that's completely different than the staff burning a scholarship and losing other transfers/recruits because they brought in a guy who was a long shot to ever be eligible in the first place

So he wasn't a health concern?

He was healthy when he walked on campus and when the season started. Sure he was more of an injury risk than others would be but that's infinitely less predictable than a guy being eligible or not

We also had a Scholly for Lovett. But none for a McDonald's AA?

Yet we have a Scholly in waiting for a guy with a felony and 3 misdemeanors pending?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:52:01 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
You responded that you were all for Livington assuming the staff was comfortable, irrespective that incident, which frankly I don't know much about.  Assuming Chris Mullin is OK with the off-the-court stuff, so am I.  If it blows up, it is on Mullin.  I'd rather have Livingston than a kid who Dave says has a 1% chance of qualifying.  Again, if you are telling me that academics were better than what Dave says, I might change my mind.

wpc77

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2016, 08:55:40 PM »
Again, same thing with Lovett.  Entirely different scenario last season at this time.

If you told me Ferguson was a flip of the coin and isn't looking to be a one and done kid, I'd agree with you Baldi that he'd be worth the risk, even at this point.  With what Dave and others said, I'm OK passing.  It isn't like we have the best track record with dealing with the NCAA on this.  Even with Lovett, there were plenty of people not connected to the program, but dialed into the college hoops scene, who thought he had a solid shot at being cleared. 

If we landed the kid, lost out on one of the transfers, this board would be going to ballistic. I'm all for a school like SJU taking risks, especially at this stage, but would pass on any kid who the staff thinks is highly likely to be ineligible.

Sure, now it is. But he was brought in with no eligibility concerns as somebody that was going to contribute for a few years. Unfortunately he got hurt and hasn't panned out as hoped but that's completely different than the staff burning a scholarship and losing other transfers/recruits because they brought in a guy who was a long shot to ever be eligible in the first place

He was healthy when he walked on campus and when the season started. Sure he was more of an injury risk than others would be but that's infinitely less predictable than a guy being eligible or not

Yet we have a Scholly in waiting for a guy with a felony and 3 misdemeanors pending?

To be fair, it seems like those charges are going to be dropped or significantly reduced due to the fact that he was apparently being admitted to a mental hospital at the time

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »
You responded that you were all for Livington assuming the staff was comfortable, irrespective that incident, which frankly I don't know much about.  Assuming Chris Mullin is OK with the off-the-court stuff, so am I.  If it blows up, it is on Mullin.  I'd rather have Livingston than a kid who Dave says has a 1% chance of qualifying.  Again, if you are telling me that academics were better than what Dave says, I might change my mind.

Who recruited Livingston? Mullin?

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »

To be fair, it seems like those charges are going to be dropped or significantly reduced due to the fact that he was apparently being admitted to a mental hospital at the time

Ya that's makes it better

« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »
We had two open scholarships this past season. Was Matt not being a good boy and sharing then?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

wpc77

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »

I didn't say that. Pointing out that legal woes likely not to be issue soon

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:47 PM »

I didn't say that. Pointing out that legal woes likely not to be issue soon

Didnt mean to single you out. Just speaking in general

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »
I agree with you that the incident, on its face and without me knowing anything about it, seems like a major red flag.  I trust the staff is comfortable with the situation if we take him.  You think Chris Mullin - who has tons of family and friends who are cops (and does/has done plenty of charity work for cops) -- would take the kid if he wasn't comfortable with it or thought the kid was a thug?  I don't.

Assault is assault.  We've had kids in the past who did some dumb stuff when they were young, and I don't recall you having an issue if it was an isolated incident by an otherwise good kid.  Ditto for our Iona Gaels, who had our second best player and best big assault someone during the season and suit up a game or two later.

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2016, 09:23:15 PM »

He wasn't actually. Had surgery over the summer

The problem isn't Darien Williams but the implication that Matt A had broad power over the roster last year that Baldi said "finished in last place."  That implies that if only someone else had more power the roster would have been dramatically different when we all know damn well it didn't matter who had the power SJU was going to suck last year and to blame Matt is ridiculous.

As if Slice would have somehow brought in 10 5-star kids within a 2-3 week period, almost all of whom would have had to decommit from another power, and gotten SJU in position to win 25 games if only he had Mullin's ear.

That's the problem I have. 

Darien Williams was not a bad last minute switch especially for a program in desperate need of filling roster spots.

The problem isn't Darien Williams but the implication that Matt A had broad power over the roster last year that Baldi said "finished in last place."  That implies that if only someone else had more power the roster would have been dramatically different when we all know damn well it didn't matter who had the power SJU was going to suck last year and to blame Matt is ridiculous.

As if Slice would have somehow brought in 10 5-star kids within a 2-3 week period, almost all of whom would have had to decommit from another power, and gotten SJU in position to win 25 games if only he had Mullin's ear.

Darien Williams was not a bad last minute switch especially for a program in desperate need of filling roster spots.
   How about this. Maybe what Baldi means which maybe he isn't saying exactly the right way is no coach assistant or otherwise should be acting  like they are above anyone else or singlehandedly resurrecting the program until they have actually done something tangible in the won loss column. Now if we   win 15 games next year then that I believe that is tangible improvement

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:06 PM »
Acting?  How is he acting like anything?

BTW-If half the things being said currently about Coach Mullin's staff were said about Coach Lavin's staff you wouldn't hear stuff about the staff member you would hear it about the HC.

BTW-I could care less about this nonsense, the thread is about Ferguson can we keep it on topic.

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
Does anyone really think Matt has autonomy to bring in any recruit he wants? No, CM has final say as any head coach has so if Matt comes to him and says I want to bring in so and so transfer and Slice says I got a 5 star that wants to sign, CM has ultimate decision. Ergo no one should have a problem with Matt or Slice, if anyone it should be Chris. Personally I don't have a problem with any of them as I like the way recruiting has gone. Frankly, if there is anything going on between members of the staff I don't give a sheet. They are all grown men let them figure it out.

ras

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2016, 09:52:56 PM »

By the time Mullin took the coaching job most recruits were committed. Pickings were slim. I think the staff did a good job considering the circumstances. Getting Lovett, Yakwe and Sima were excellent pickups.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:56:28 PM by ras »

Pete88

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »

Yes... or does Mullin now report to Matt?  You killed Lavin for all things bad at SJU, but now Mullin holds no responsibility for anything specially a decision to bring in a shady character?  At least your consistent with your agenda items. 

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »

Yes... or does Mullin now report to Matt?  You killed Lavin for all things bad at SJU, but now Mullin holds no responsibility for anything specially a decision to bring in a shady character?  At least your consistent with your agenda items. 

You missed the point, not surprising.

I thought Matt got all the recruits, now you say it's Mullin?

Pete88

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »

You missed the point, not surprising.

I thought Matt got all the recruits, now you say it's Mullin?

No, I get the point... although you try hard to be cryptic with your posts, they are actually quite clear.  Maybe its you that doesn't understand.

Matt acts like he does because Mullin allows it, Slice is MIA because Mullin allows it, Matt recruits Livingston because Mullin allows it, St. Jean acts like the coach on the sidelines because Mullin allows it.

If this disharmony was happening under Lavin, you would hold his ass to the fire for allowing such tomfoolery .  But alas your vendetta is not against Mullin but some mid-twenties assistant.  I have an idea, how about you and everyone else starts to question Mullin for allowing all of this (if there is any of this) to fester?

Foad

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »
If this disharmony was happening under Lavin, you would hold his ass to the fire for allowing such tomfoolery .  But alas your vendetta is not against Mullin but some mid-twenties assistant.  I have an idea, how about you and everyone else starts to question Mullin for allowing all of this (if there is any of this) to fester?

We have a BB legend as head coach, the best recruiter in the game as associate, two prodigies as assistants, and two outstanding recruiting classes in a row. Only at SJU would this be described as festering and only at SJU would it be cause for discontent. This is the most delusional fan base in college BB outside of Westwood. At least they have a past to be delusional about.

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »
Guess Mullin and Matt were right to pass on this one….

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
Guess Mullin and Matt were right to pass on this one….

Ya I guess they passed on a lot of top 50 guys