Terrance Ferguson - SF - Dallas, TX - API

• 131 replies
Re: Terrance Ferguson - SF - Dallas, TX - API
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
School did have a legit shot at him but was prudent to back away after learning more about academic standing. Less than 1% shot he qualifies. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
School did have a legit shot at him but was prudent to back away after learning more about academic standing. Less than 1% shot he qualifies. 

Exactly what I heard Dave. Thanks for clarifying.

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
If what is being suggested is even partially true, then no wonder Slice is pissed and Coach Mullin better rectify this ASAP.  Assistant coaches working against each other is f'ing ridiculous.

I don't know what exactly happened, but I can also clarify we had a legit shot at landing him.

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
So academics is the reason?

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
So academics is the reason?

It was an unfortunate big red flag. No bigger advocate for T-Ferg than myself but it would have been a big waste. AZ is probably gonna get Rawle through the cracks but I highly doubt they can pull two miracles.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »
So he won't be playing this year?

SJUFAN

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »
We were right there with this kid,and got railroaded.

How so?

Someone stepped in and fcked if all up. Draw your own conclusions

This is a bunch of horse shit and needs to stop. Nobody is railroading anyone. It is utter nonsense that this talk is going on please don't listen to it.

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »
If we landed the kid, lost out on one of the transfers, this board would be going to ballistic. I'm all for a school like SJU taking risks, especially at this stage, but would pass on any kid who the staff thinks is highly likely to be ineligible.

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »
If we landed the kid, lost out on one of the transfers, this board would be going to ballistic. I'm all for a school like SJU taking risks, especially at this stage, but would pass on any kid who the staff thinks is highly likely to be ineligible.

Like everyone went ballistic with the Darien Williams Scholly?

goredmen

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »

Completely different situation and you know it

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »

How so? Waste of a Scholly no?

goredmen

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »

Sure, now it is. But he was brought in with no eligibility concerns as somebody that was going to contribute for a few years. Unfortunately he got hurt and hasn't panned out as hoped but that's completely different than the staff burning a scholarship and losing other transfers/recruits because they brought in a guy who was a long shot to ever be eligible in the first place

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2016, 08:01:02 PM »

Sure, now it is. But he was brought in with no eligibility concerns as somebody that was going to contribute for a few years. Unfortunately he got hurt and hasn't panned out as hoped but that's completely different than the staff burning a scholarship and losing other transfers/recruits because they brought in a guy who was a long shot to ever be eligible in the first place

So he wasn't a health concern?

goredmen

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »

He was healthy when he walked on campus and when the season started. Sure he was more of an injury risk than others would be but that's infinitely less predictable than a guy being eligible or not

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »

He was healthy when he walked on campus and when the season started. Sure he was more of an injury risk than others would be but that's infinitely less predictable than a guy being eligible or not

We also had a Scholly for Lovett. But none for a McDonald's AA?

Moose

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »

He wasn't actually. Had surgery over the summer
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
Fellas, c'mon.  Very obvious that Marco is firmly in Slice camp and has a major hard-on for Matt.  Don't take the bait.  Some folks just need to stir the pot.

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »

He wasn't actually. Had surgery over the summer

The problem isn't Darien Williams but the implication that Matt A had broad power over the roster last year that Baldi said "finished in last place."  That implies that if only someone else had more power the roster would have been dramatically different when we all know damn well it didn't matter who had the power SJU was going to suck last year and to blame Matt is ridiculous.

As if Slice would have somehow brought in 10 5-star kids within a 2-3 week period, almost all of whom would have had to decommit from another power, and gotten SJU in position to win 25 games if only he had Mullin's ear.

That's the problem I have. 

Darien Williams was not a bad last minute switch especially for a program in desperate need of filling roster spots.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:51:55 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
Last year we had to take all kinds of risks given the state of the roster -- you know that Baldi -- whether academic, health-related or otherwise.  Less so this year.  If a kid like Ferguson was a 50/50 proposition, I'd say take him this year.  If it is as dire as Dave suggests, I'm glad we passed.  We take that scholly THIS year and give it to him instead of a Simon/Clark, and then the kid is declared ineligible, this board would be going nuts.

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
Again, same thing with Lovett.  Entirely different scenario last season at this time.

If you told me Ferguson was a flip of the coin and isn't looking to be a one and done kid, I'd agree with you Baldi that he'd be worth the risk, even at this point.  With what Dave and others said, I'm OK passing.  It isn't like we have the best track record with dealing with the NCAA on this.  Even with Lovett, there were plenty of people not connected to the program, but dialed into the college hoops scene, who thought he had a solid shot at being cleared. 

We also had a Scholly for Lovett. But none for a McDonald's AA?