Last Two 2015 Ships and Assistant Gig

• 30 replies

QuanMan

Last Two 2015 Ships and Assistant Gig
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
What's your honest opinion regarding these last 2 ships and AC position?

Paultz and Chilleb have been telling us for weeks that we should move on from Rowan, so let's do so.

Dave sent out some exciting news last week regarding Yakwe reclassifying to 15' and that we're the strong lean. Say we do get Yakwe for 15', which would be amazing, is the last ship then moved to 16'? Can this season be fine without it? Is there a mystery recruit via JUCO, transfer, or some 15' senior up Abs' and Slice's sleeves that we may not know about?

It seems as if the the staff isn't overly concerned over these last two 15' ships. Focus has been all over the tri-state, Southeast and now Vegas on getting the elite national 16's and towards keeping Rawle-Heron-Shamorie at home.

Assuming St. Jean is the DOBO, is Mitch the assumed last AC?

Your thoughts on where we are in late July, with 2 ships and a Assistant Coaching job to go?
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

Re: Last Two 2015 Ships and Assistant Gig
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »
What's your honest opinion regarding these last 2 ships and AC position?

Paultz and Chilleb have been telling us for weeks that we should move on from Rowan, so let's do so.

Dave sent out some exciting news last week regarding Yakwe reclassifying to 15' and that we're the strong lean. Say we do get Yakwe for 15', which would be amazing, is the last ship then moved to 16'? Can this season be fine without it? Is there a mystery recruit via JUCO, transfer, or some 15' senior up Abs' and Slice's sleeves that we may not know about?

It seems as if the the staff isn't overly concerned over these last two 15' ships. Focus has been all over the tri-state, Southeast and now Vegas on getting the elite national 16's and towards keeping Rawle-Heron-Shamorie at home.

Assuming St. Jean is the DOBO, is Mitch the assumed last AC?

Your thoughts on where we are in late July, with 2 ships and a Assistant Coaching job to go?
My guess is, if no Rowan or Yakwe for 15, they hold the two scholarships if LoVett & Sima are assumed to qualify. Not a clue on AC.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:01:49 PM by paultzman »

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback as always Paultz. It would be disappointing to see the staff concede to this depth chart if Yakwe doesn't qualify, although it would be understandable considering what they've already done in such a condensed time period. Ideally I'd like to see a JUCO jump alongside Yakwe this summer, and have Mitch join the staff. 
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
I have no clue about Rowan but still a chance.

I think both Heron and Rawle are out and Ponds is likely.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »

Wow everyone has said the opposite on Heron, why do you think we are out? Alkins I have the same feeling as you.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
This is why it's tough to believe anyone on this board.  I don't mean this in a negative way, but with Heron even some of the most trustworthy posters were saying this was basically a done deal.  Sigh.

mkras99

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

Not getting Heron would be a big kick in the nuts given how many in the know posters said he was a done deal for St. John's.  Would be a big back of suck.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »

Not getting Heron would be a big kick in the nuts given how many in the know posters said he was a done deal for St. John's.  Would be a big back of suck.

Agree, mkras.  Although, I'm still confident on Heron.  I'm not confident on Alkins, though.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
still a long time until the roster is set for the 16-17 season, so I'm not worried at all, but what is clear is that we will need a bunch of high level talent added in that class based on how the current roster looks.  If that includes heron and alkins, great, if not, then it will have to be someone else.

PIB

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
Rule number one regarding recruiting: Don't believe a thing a recruit says.

Rule number two regarding recruiting: Don't believe insiders.

Rule number three: If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 05:39:41 PM »

Don't agree on Heron

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
I'd love to have a 2015 discussion, the season is closer than we think, and we'll be watching these guys, not Alkins, Ponds or Heron any time soon.

Yakwe could very well be in the 16' lottery.  Add him to the mix and who knows what this team can be. I think people are underrating Johnson, Ellison, and especially Lovett's talent and potential impact. Sima is starting to look like a pro, Ron Mvouika brings much needed shooting and experience. How mediocre can this team be with Yakwe and an unknown contributor?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:39:50 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:08:50 PM »
Love hearing from the posters in the know on here but we are dealing with 17 year old kids as well as their handlers, coaches and parents. Anything that you hear can change minute to minute. When a guy commits and signs a LOI im comfortable until then you don't really know. Onto 2015-16 season, I think if we get Yakwe we could actually be pretty good. We are missing one more impact player upfront. A starting lineup of Lovett, Johnson, Williams, Yakwe and Sima is pretty solid. We would have a good bench also with Ellison, Amar, Mussini but we just wouldn't be very deep up front still and really lacking experience. I think best case we are 5-6th in the Big East with Yakwe but that would be right on the bubble. Worst case we have a lot of youth and rookie coach and 7-8th. This is all contingent on Sima and Lovett qualifying, if they don't this could be a rough one and we may fight with DePaul for last.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:09:56 PM by Wods317 »

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:12:09 PM »
For the two remaining ships, I'd like Yakwe and an immediately eligible transfer.  If the second part is not available, save it.  I'm also one of the only posters that would take Obekpa back.

Heron will be a Johnny and I have a strong feeling both Ponds and Ahmed will be as well.  Ahmed has always wanted to come to St. John's and has never made that a secret.  A few of his older brothers played with Hardy.

Alkins' recruitment will be a marathon and not a sprint.  Let's not badmouth the kid now.  By the time he's ready to decide in the spring most of the schools on his list will be done recruiting, and St. John's will look like a completely different program.  There is so much talent in this area in 2016. In a typical year, I'd be hard-pressed two find two kids I like...there are like 6-7 in 2016 and a few glue guys like Atson and Salnave that I'd really like to add as well.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »
Sorry for the double-post, but I'd like to add that I don't think 2015-2016 is a throwaway just yet if Lovett and Sima are eligible. Lovett will be on the all-rookie team and PGs like him are plug and plays.

This isn't 2011-2012...we don't have the same impossible schedule, we don't only have 6-7 scholarship players, we have some experience, we have some size, and we have depth. These guys can scratch and claw their way to a tournament berth if a few things break their way.

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
No Heron? That would suck. All signs have been pointing to us being very strong, maybe his leader.

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
No Heron? That would suck. All signs have been pointing to us being very strong, maybe his leader.

Guess  Slice didn't get memo in Vegas where he has been watching him.  :)

@AdamZagoria: St. John's Slice is about to see Mustapha Heron again in Vegas after watching Shamorie Ponds
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:33:42 PM by paultzman »

boo3

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
 Bottom line is no one knows jack-squat.

I will only start to buy into any of this when the kid signs on the line, until then, he's out.   

Mullin/Slice/Matt can't snap their fingers and get kids to come here..   St. John's is no longer a destination to play high end college hoops.  Much damage has been done to the point where even the prodigal son can't fix it overnight.. 

Lets face it, even the kids we are excited about for next year are question marks...Lovett and Sima.. Sima hasn't even signed a NLI, to my knowledge. 

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 01:03:43 AM »

Wow everyone has said the opposite on Heron, why do you think we are out? Alkins I have the same feeling as you.

I know Mustapha and his dad very well. There is a reason he's played at 3 high schools and 3+ grassroots teams... loyalty doesn't mean much. I still love the  kid and his game but his recruitment won't be neat and tidy because of pre-existing relationship with Slice. I've said it in his recruiting thread I think it will be drawn out till the very end. They're looking for greener grass always.

Slice could very well get it done but I wouldn't be surprised if Mustapha pulls a Briscoe.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:44 AM »
Bottom line is no one knows jack-squat.

I will only start to buy into any of this when the kid signs on the line, until then, he's out.   

Mullin/Slice/Matt can't snap their fingers and get kids to come here..   St. John's is no longer a destination to play high end college hoops.  Much damage has been done to the point where even the prodigal son can't fix it overnight.. 

Lets face it, even the kids we are excited about for next year are question marks...Lovett and Sima.. Sima hasn't even signed a NLI, to my knowledge. 

Can only sign NLI during signing periods and last one ended in may so just has to sign schollie papers. What I do agree with you on at this point is the only thing I have become confident in; no one knows jack about recruiting, mainly because it is so fluid, kids change their minds, misinformation is put out there, people lie, people make stuff up. Most of the top kids are divas with everyone kissing their butt 24/7. Wichita St has won 95 games the past 3 seasons with underrated hungry ballplayers which is the way it is looking better and better to be unless you can find the somewhat humble super star.