Midnight Madness

• 86 replies

paultzman

Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 10:36:57 PM »
@CoachRNaclerio: @NYCHoops Rashond Salnave and Cardozo Assistant Coach Billy Medley at St. John's Midnight Madness

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »
So he went to Rose Hill and then jumped in his car and went over the Throgs Neck...LOL!!!

BTW-From all accounts sounds like they put on a great event tonight...

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
i have to say, i really love Harrison.  He was having such a great time tonight.  talking with fans, taking pictures, shaking hands, high-fiving everyone.  during concert while everyone else was surrounding French, he was goofing off with fans.  seems like a really, really cool kid.  i'm so glad things worked out with him.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 11:54:09 PM »
Had no clue about this>

Obekpa went back to Lavin and said he wanted to stay. He then began a rigorous offseason that included joining top returning scorer D’Angelo Harrison at John Lucas’ camp in Houston to compete against NBA and top college players.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/refocused-st-john-junior-chris-obekpa-raising-game-article-1.1978745?cid=bitly

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:37 AM »
For those of you that missed it, here's the intro video played tonight.  pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqjjw43W2aI#t=46

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
Updated..
Recruits attending Midnight Madness aka Tip-Off:

2015:
Chiek Diallo, F-C, OSNA
Brandon Sampson, G, Louisiana
Isaiah Briscoe, PG, Roselle Catholic, NJ
Luis Montero, F, WCC-JUCO

2016:
David Cole, F, Christ the King
Kassoum Yakwe, PF, OSNA
Deandre Hunter, F, Philadelphia
Chuba Ohams, Wadleigh HS

2017:
Chauncey Sterling, G, St. Anthonys
Sid Wilson, G-F, St. Raymonds
David Beatty, G, Philadelphia
Nick Richards, F-C, St. Marys (LI)
Isaiah Washington, G, St. Raymonds

2018:
Nkosi Cooper, G, LuHi

I'll try to keep this updated as you guys post more information.   
Feel free to post any corrections or additions
2017:David Beatty, G, Philadelphia - Great to see that Rysheed's Philly guy made it up... maybe he'll want to go to SJ's as well.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 12:14:50 AM »
For those of you that missed it, here's the intro video played tonight.  pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqjjw43W2aI#t=46

I was expecting Dom Pointer to ask the cab driver to stop the car so he could walk, and take it all in.

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 01:55:57 AM »
Updated..
Recruits attending Midnight Madness aka Tip-Off:

2015:
Chiek Diallo, F-C, OSNA
Brandon Sampson, G, Louisiana
Isaiah Briscoe, PG, Roselle Catholic, NJ
Luis Montero, F, WCC-JUCO

2016:
David Cole, F, Christ the King
Kassoum Yakwe, PF, OSNA
Deandre Hunter, F, Philadelphia
Chuba Ohams, Wadleigh HS

2017:
Chauncey Sterling, G, St. Anthonys
Sid Wilson, G-F, St. Raymonds
David Beatty, G, Philadelphia
Nick Richards, F-C, St. Marys (LI)
Isaiah Washington, G, St. Raymonds

2018:
Nkosi Cooper, G, LuHi

I'll try to keep this updated as you guys post more information.   
Feel free to post any corrections or additions
2017:David Beatty, G, Philadelphia - Great to see that Rysheed's Philly guy made it up... maybe he'll want to go to SJ's as well.

Beatty is tough. The Philly boys all had a really good time tonight.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 02:06:39 AM »
Best turnout for midnight madness at SJU I've ever seen. While I didn't really know any of French Montana the students sure did and atmosphere was incredible.

I thought the basketball portion of the even was sub-par. The school really needs a better plan than just rolling out the ball and need to establish some annual traditions whether it be a dance, a chant, something freshman have to do, etc. At the very least they should have kept the music going while the guys ran full court.

I was impressed with physical condition of D'Angelo and Rysheed. D'Angelo was throwing down some dunks when I haven't seen him make an above the rim play in 3 years. I was surprised.

-Dom & Phil look like Dom and Phil. They're gonna miss some shots and make you scratch your head.

-Branch and Obekpa are two guys I want to see more involved in offensive flow this year. I'm hopeful that Branch will be able to be on the ball and get Jordan and Harrison in full go mode on the wings. Obekpa should get some more touches too. He will play with more energy on both ends with some early touches.

-Keith Thomas looks like he'll be good to rebound and run the floor. Doesn't look like he's contributing too much else.

-Neither Delarosa is seeing the floor this year.

-Walk-On Myles Stewart is better than I expected. Should definitely help push guards in practice.

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2014, 02:12:36 AM »
Good night for SJU recruiting on big 3.

Both Sampson and Briscoe had their families on campus too. All had a really good time and seemed to fit right in. Cheick was on campus too on an unofficial and will be back on campus again tomorrow.

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2014, 03:17:53 AM »
Sad I had to miss it tonight but so glad to see a capacity crowd having a great time.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2014, 04:06:56 AM »

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2014, 07:12:05 AM »
Dave,

You don't think Keith Thomas has the ability to post up and score? I was hoping he would be a guy we could dump it down to for a bucket. Use  him like Ty Grant almost. Probably not as savy as Ty but I was hoping he could at least bully some guys down low.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
Best turnout for midnight madness at SJU I've ever seen. While I didn't really know any of French Montana the students sure did and atmosphere was incredible.

I thought the basketball portion of the even was sub-par. The school really needs a better plan than just rolling out the ball and need to establish some annual traditions whether it be a dance, a chant, something freshman have to do, etc. At the very least they should have kept the music going while the guys ran full court.

I was impressed with physical condition of D'Angelo and Rysheed. D'Angelo was throwing down some dunks when I haven't seen him make an above the rim play in 3 years. I was surprised.

-Dom & Phil look like Dom and Phil. They're gonna miss some shots and make you scratch your head.

-Branch and Obekpa are two guys I want to see more involved in offensive flow this year. I'm hopeful that Branch will be able to be on the ball and get Jordan and Harrison in full go mode on the wings. Obekpa should get some more touches too. He will play with more energy on both ends with some early touches.

-Keith Thomas looks like he'll be good to rebound and run the floor. Doesn't look like he's contributing too much else.

-Walk-On Myles Stewart is better than I expected. Should definitely help push guards in practice.

Neither Delarosa or who??

Are you saying that Delarosa is out of shape and can't run the floor? You may be right, but I bet you he sees the floor. Obekpa isn't avoiding foul trouble in every single game.

What about Henderson? Alibegovic? Jones?

Foad

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »
@DalyDoseOfHoops: Steve Lavin on Rysheed Jordan: "The media still won't have access to him...I want him strictly focused on academics." #sjubb
@
DalyDoseOfHoops: Steve Lavin on Rysheed Jordan's media availability: "I would say in all probability, maybe early December if we've seen enough improvement."

It's not fall until we a sign telling us that the sky is falling.

Lavin is as tough as nails on these kids.  I can tell you many parents like this.  It is why parents sent kids to Indiana during the Knight years.  Obviously he was a great coach but they knew they never had to worry about their son slacking off and the coach looking the other way.  They were going to class and they were going to behave themselves or else.  Period.

Exactly. That's why Norvel Pelle's parents wanted him at Saint John's: because of the rigorous academics. Period.And Steve Lavin = Bobby Knight. Exclamation Point.

Precisely except he didn't make it. 

Indubitably, that's why Max Hooper chose SJU over Harvard, because of the high academic standards.

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »

It was the loudest I've ever heard at St John's...the crowd was really enthusiastic.  That had to impress some of the recruits.  I had a chance to walk around the campus.  It's big league impressive.

I agree, the school should do more than roll out the balls.  The dunk contest was cringe worthy.  What do other (big) schools do?

I'll be the first to admit, i'm no evaluator of talent.  Some things do jump out, however.  Dom Pointer looked much better than last season.  He's a big time talent.  The bad news is he has developed a three point shot that went in at will at the beginning.  He started missing later on.  I don't know whether adding this to his repetoir will help or hurt the team.  He pretty much quit at the dunk contest...the way the team quit last year.  I don't see that as a good sign.

Obekpa looked like a dominator.  He's also way ahead of last year.  I won't buy the Lavin BS that he's never seen a player improve so much over over the summer as Obekpa.  He said the same about Branch last year.  Stop, already!  I will say I was impressed.

Walk on Myles Stewart also impressed me.  I'd say, based on last night's defenseless exhibition, he was at least as good as anyone out there. ..at least last night.  Of course, he wanted to make an impression, which he did.  Adonis also tried to impress...making more shots than anyone in the "game" where no one played any "d".   Harrison didn't need to make an impression, so he didn't.  He's obviously a leader.  Green is the same as last year.  Don't look for much from the Serbian kid...the other Delerosa...or any of the walkons.  Rasheed can play.  I saw Thomas play in real games, albiet against a different level of talent, he'll be fine.

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »
Anyone who was there have any comments on Jones, Balamou, or Alibegovic?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »

Don't think Jones played in the scrimmage. Might be nicked up

Ali is a big boy. Not ADR big but he's tall has length and isn't a twig. He made a nice baseline reverse attempt that missed. Seemed to be having a real good time
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »

Don't think Jones played in the scrimmage. Might be nicked up

Ali is a big boy. Not ADR big but he's tall has length and isn't a twig. He made a nice baseline reverse attempt that missed. Seemed to be having a real good time

Thanks moose
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »
I was watching the ESPNU Midnight Madness show and UConn did a mix men and women scrimmage, Kentucky did a 3 on 3 tournament. The basketball portion is usually the least interesting part of the whole Tip Off. That's why I always thought the dunk contest was a cool idea. Sad to hear it wasn't great.