St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies
Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »
Wisconsin is always good and always terrible to watch. We don't run an offense.This might be the worst game to watch all year.
Wisconsin 52 SJU 48

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
Labeled "possible Big 10 contender" in article;

"Wisconsin: Say it with me three times: “I will not doubt Wisconsin, I will not doubt Wisconsin, I will not doubt Wisconsin.” Once again, however, there are a few reasons to doubt the Badgers, simply because they’re entering the season without a trio of seniors (Mike Bruesewitz, Ryan Evans and Jared Berggren) who made a major difference last season, and they’re depending on a point guard who's returning from a serious knee injury (Josh Gasser). Sam Dekker and Co. will probably maintain Bo Ryan’s streak of 20-win seasons (10 in a row) and top-four finishes in the Big Ten."

Full article; @eamonnbrennan: The state of the Big Ten http://t.co/mLCfwoaqqX

hnk

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »
One thing from the last few days: Jordan has made all of us forget all about Isiah Whitehead!

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
SJU 80
Wisc 76

34 from Harrison.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:12:45 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »
if we can force turnovers and harrison avoids foul trouble, we have a chance:

SJU:   66
Wis:  60

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
69-57 us. dlo comes out on fire, but our defense wins it down the stretch.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
SJs  64, Wisc 61

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
Dear Coach, please put Dom on Dekker...all game long!

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »
Wisconsin is always good and always terrible to watch. We don't run an offense.This might be the worst game to watch all year.
Wisconsin 52 SJU 48
Wisconsin 52 SJU 48

Opening day of the most highly anticipated season in ages can't be a bad game to watch.

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
I really think the key to this game is forcing them out of the paint, and make them rely on their perimeter game to win.  Of course we still have to get out on them, but their entire swing offense is predicated on wearing down defenses as to get high quality inside shots. 

Wisconsin likes to keep the score low, so they aren't going to be looking to run and gun.  We have some fantastic defensive presence inside with guys like Obekpa, Sampson, Sanchez and Pointer as shotblockers.  We lead the nation in that category last year. 

Force them to take contested shots.  Need to force Wisconsin to earn any inside shot they take, and face our shotblockers if they do get one.  We also can't be faked by all of their cutting,screening and picks.  It's why I think we will see a bit of zone on our side, because it allows our shotblockers to "stay home" a bit more.  The offense creates opportunities with ball reversal and screening so the passer always has 3 different options to pass to.  Bottom line though, is the the offense is constantly searching to screen to get hitters on baseline or in post.  I'd rather see em try to beat us from the perimeter instead of drawing fouls and getting good shots inside with screens and cuts. 

I saw that we played some 1-2-2 zone trap and other stuff the other night.  Will be interesting to see what we do.  Traps can make it difficult by disrupting the offense, but it all depends on how good their players can find outlets.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:00:45 AM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »
It was only one game, but I thought this was interesting...

http://www.teamrankings.com/blog/ncaa-basketball/quantifying-the-swing-offense-of-the-wisconsin-badgers-stat-geek-idol

Seems to echo the sentiment the a matchup zone might work well against the Badgers.  Hard to run screens and picks when defensive players are not following cutters.  In addition, matchup zones use mostly man principles so defenders will still be forcing contested shots within their zone.  Need to use a matchup zone that doesn't allow open threes on the wings though.  Mixing up defenses could also cause confusion.

In addition, pressing and trapping them in the backcourt, much like we have done in the past vs Notre Dame, would force them to expedite their offense and ruin their tempo a bit in their offensive sets by making them rush.  Try to force them to use up as much time and effort as possible bringing it up court seems like a worthy tactic.

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »

http://www.teamrankings.com/blog/ncaa-basketball/quantifying-the-swing-offense-of-the-wisconsin-badgers-stat-geek-idol

Seems to echo the sentiment the a matchup zone might work well against the Badgers.  Hard to run screens and picks when defensive players are not following cutters.  In addition, matchup zones use mostly man principles so defenders will still be forcing contested shots within their zone.  Need to use a matchup zone that doesn't allow open threes on the wings though.  Mixing up defenses could also cause confusion.

In addition, pressing and trapping them in the backcourt, much like we have done in the past vs Notre Dame, would force them to expedite their offense and ruin their tempo a bit in their offensive sets by making them rush.  Try to force them to use up as much time and effort as possible bringing it up court seems like a worthy tactic.

The key will be the 2nd half, when the opposition has had time to adjust. We have always done a decent job of surprising teams with our athleticism and quickness off the tip off.  But once the 2nd half comes teams adjust and that's when we get vulnerable. 

The mixing of defenses will be key.

hnk

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
Part of the second half collapses were lack of depth leading to foul trouble...windedness etc.

desco80

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »

The key will be the 2nd half, when the opposition has had time to adjust. We have always done a decent job of surprising teams with our athleticism and quickness off the tip off.  But once the 2nd half comes teams adjust and that's when we get vulnerable. 

The mixing of defenses will be key.

In recent years I remember us coming out flat and trying to work our way back into the game, not the other way around.

pmg911

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
Where are all the people that said we would be scoring close to 80ppg this year..?

I think SJU wins 68 - 64

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »

paultzman

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
I'm not in habit of overstating importance of early season games, but Wisconsin is a key opportunity. Considering our  unchallenging OCS, IMO,it is quite important to at least split the Cuse & Wisconsin games to get an NCAA bid. That of course assumes we have a solid BE record. Let's beat the Badgers to set a positive tone & position us for March success!

desco80

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
I'm not in habit of overstating importance of early season games, but Wisconsin is a key opportunity. Considering our  unchallenging OCS, IMO,it is quite important to at least split the Cuse & Wisconsin games to get an NCAA bid. That of course assumes we have a solid BE record. Let's beat the Badgers to set a positive tone & position us for March success!

Good sentiment Paultz.   Don't want to put too much into one game, but this would be boost on many levels for this program

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
“@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB Pregame Quotes: Coach Lavin, @KarrSampson14 and Jamal Branch preview No. 20/21 Wisconsin: http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110613aab.html