Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
Anything short of the elite 8 is a failure.  St Johns is still the elite program in NYC and we need someone who can sell it.

Lol!   We've made the elite eight once in 30 years!   Some of you are delusional.
And maybe would not have had that if Obinna Ekezie didn't tear his achilles 2 games before the tourney. I think the Terps would have gone to Final Four that year.

Dunno. SJU was near perfect that game. I couldn't believe my own eyes.

Tha Kid

« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2015, 05:56:43 PM »
Anything short of the elite 8 is a failure.  St Johns is still the elite program in NYC and we need someone who can sell it.

Lol!   We've made the elite eight once in 30 years!   Some of you are delusional.
And maybe would not have had that if Obinna Ekezie didn't tear his achilles 2 games before the tourney. I think the Terps would have gone to Final Four that year.

And maybe we go to the Final Four in 2011 if DJ doesnt tear his ACL - lets remember the 8 seed made it out of our bracket that year (though I can't imagine Lavin outcoaching Brad Stevens).

Pointless playing the What If game.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:57:01 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »

Dunno. SJU was near perfect that game. I couldn't believe my own eyes.
Yes they were terrific.  Including this year, the committee has been screwing over both my squads, but the '99 placement was a killer for me - hated knowing one of two really good teams was going home that day.  Gary williams has said that he really thought they were going all the way if Obinna didn't get hurt, which is rare for him to say regarding some of his teams.

pmg911

« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
When Coach Lavin's extension is formally announced I just hope that the posters who have trashed the coach and his program support the team as aggressively as they hoped for his firing.

When this over, you are either a fan or not..!!

Tha Kid

« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »
When Coach Lavin's extension is formally announced I just hope that the posters who have trashed the coach and his program support the team as aggressively as they hoped for his firing.

+1  great post
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
Did the school announce anything yet?

« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2015, 06:48:58 PM »
@AdamZagoria
Steve Lavin's discussed extension at St. John's is not for 3 years, but 4 or 5, source tells @SNYtv
Also, Lavin did not meet today with President Conrado “Bobby” Gempesaw, per source.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:49:09 PM by kingofk1ngs »

hnk

« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
Nope

« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2015, 06:59:04 PM »
I want to hear the reasoning

« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
I want to hear the reasoning
If there's no 1 year salary buyout after year two or three, it's not a good idea. I'm fine with the extension, I just don't want to see exposure for more or else Admin might never make a move for the duration because of money concerns.

sju89tr

« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »

Very true

I'll support the extension and Coach Lavin

However I just want a program that doesn't have all the drama that we have seen since the summer of 2011. 

« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »
+1 sju89tr

I was in favor of a change, as I've expressed to Baldi and others.

If he's back, I'll obviously support Coach and the team.  But please let's be done with the all of the drama we have seen post 2011.  I know that is unavoidable to an extent, but maybe the staff can learn from the past a bit.  Too much to ask?

Start working on convincing Jordan and Obekpa that it is in their long term best interests to stay with the program and improve NBA chances.

And I'd like to see the staff - especially Lavin - get back to recruiting their arses off.  The first few years it seemed that we not only had a recruiting plan, but that we were working our tail off to get players.  Let's see that again.  Don't be freaking invisible in NY; embrace the local schools, because even if we don't get the big fish, there are seemingly always solid 4 years kids who go elsewhere who we ignore.  And keep getting on the radar nationally of top 30-75 kids -- at multiple positions (not just guards).  We are likely going to miss out on most of the big fish, but I do believe with effort this staff can land balanced rosters and quality talent every year, without chasing at the last second and ending up with a small forward playing C.

sju89tr

« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »
+1 sju89tr

I was in favor of a change, as I've expressed to Baldi and others.

If he's back, I'll obviously support Coach and the team.  But please let's be done with the all of the drama we have seen post 2011.  I know that is unavoidable to an extent, but maybe the staff can learn from the past a bit.  Too much to ask?

Start working on convincing Jordan and Obekpa that it is in their long term best interests to stay with the program and improve NBA chances.

And I'd like to see the staff - especially Lavin - get back to recruiting their arses off.  The first few years it seemed that we not only had a recruiting plan, but that we were working our tail off to get players.  Let's see that again.  Don't be freaking invisible in NY; embrace the local schools, because even if we don't get the big fish, there are seemingly always solid 4 years kids who go elsewhere who we ignore.  And keep getting on the radar nationally of top 30-75 kids -- at multiple positions (not just guards).  We are likely going to miss out on most of the big fish, but I do believe with effort this staff can land balanced rosters and quality talent every year, without chasing at the last second and ending up with a small forward playing C.

There is nothing wrong with bringing in 4 year guys like Doughty and Barnes-Thompkins to develop to be rotational guys, every program needs them.

We don't necessarily need a starting 5 of all Top 50 kids

Take the Louie approach of landing a stud every few years then a group of guys who contribute in a 8 man rotation. Kind of the Villanova approach.       

jr49

« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »

How happy you going to be if he can't get bigs who can play? Four guards and a wing was hard to take for many fans who love SJU hoops.

« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Right.  And balance.  Nova has a true Center, a legit (albeit smaller) PF, Jenkins who can play the 4 if needed and a guy like Hart who plays much bigger than his size and allows them to go small.  Not to mention another PF who didn't play much this year but who has game. 

People think of them as Guard U - and they have had great guards - but they also have balance and depth.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

How happy you going to be if he can't get bigs who can play? Four guards and a wing was hard to take for many fans who love SJU hoops.

Lavin signing won't ease any doubts and may in fact only inflame them. How Lavin recruits over these last two may calm down or enrage the people looking for change...

-the good news if he stays there is stability to the program
-Lavin actially wants to be here so there is no worries about pulling a "Fran"
-The process of this extension should make things clear that the adminstatration is not 100% sold on him, and some of the shenigians that went on during his first five years won't be tolerated.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »

You mean the people on this board who suffered through 6 years of Norm Roberts? Those are the people who you're talking about? You donate money to St.John's? For how long? How many decades? How many zeroes? Do even buy season tickets? Pay a Red/White club annual fee?

If so, stand proudly on your soapbox. You have every right to. If not, kindly get off, and stop talking. Attitudes and expectations like yours are the reason why MSG is half empty for BE games. This is an amateur sport, but they keep score. Winning matters. Like it or not. He's got his work cut out for him, and while I of course hope he succeeds, he's left quite a hole for himself next season.

And no, he's not entitled to a rebuilding year, after building next to nothing the last 4 years.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:34:32 PM by Poison »

« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
In a show of mass protest, dozens of fans gather and...change their screen names.

QuanMan

« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2015, 08:45:38 PM »
Whether its Randall, Papagiannis, Mussinni…or the likes of a 2016 (Ray Salnave/Shamorie Ponds/Gibbs)…I'm expecting a couple of quick commits within a couple of days to 2weeks post-extension.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
If he's here to stay we have to support him. Buffalo is too far of a drive for a college game.

It would be refreshing if after the contract situation is settled that Lavin be given credit for getting the team back to the NCAA tournament. Win or lose, albeit not what we expected or wanted, it means something.

Still, with the good, there were undeniable problems, too. What would also be refreshing is to see Lavin own up to some of things he's had trouble with like managing his own program, and keeping/getting players eligible. Lavin does some things really well. That much is true, but after 5 years, and a new contract, it's only fair that he share with us that some of his concerns about the program are the same ones we've been fairly griping about.

If he tells us, Keith Thomas was an isolated incident. Nothing we could have done about it, that tells me, he hasn't learned how to be a better leader. I'd like to hear how they plan to address this going forward? They may have actually had a system in place, but it should be completely obvious to the staff that their system doesn't work.

His presser will be telling, because it would be a great time for him to be frank with us. When you sell us a #2 recruiting class and it fails miserably, it makes us mad. When you own up to why it failed, and take some responsibility for it, you don't make the problem go away, but you do gain credibility.

Lavin spoke constantly about the development of his seniors. Now it's his turn.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:49:38 PM by Poison »