Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

paultzman

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #720 on: February 12, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
It's not just Braziler.  Others have been leery about Rawle's recruitment on these boards and others.  I'm perfectly comfortable moving past him, and grabbing a 5 th year guy or whatever we need.  We already have a great recruiting class.  We don't need a circus here.  I'm confident that Mullin, Slice and Matt know as much as they need to, to make an informed decision on the direction to take, regardless of whether this stuff is rumor or not.
+1

« Reply #721 on: February 12, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
It's not just Braziler.  Others have been leery about Rawle's recruitment on these boards and others.  I'm perfectly comfortable moving past him, and grabbing a 5 th year guy or whatever we need.  We already have a great recruiting class.  We don't need a circus here.  I'm confident that Mullin, Slice and Matt know as much as they need to, to make an informed decision on the direction to take, regardless of whether this stuff is rumor or not.
+1

I'm not a fan of 5th year transfers, not in the Big East. These Freshmen are getting a ton of experience, they won't need on court leadership from elsewhere for a 1 year stint

« Reply #722 on: February 12, 2016, 04:53:44 PM »
+1

I'm not a fan of 5th year transfers, not in the Big East. These Freshmen are getting a ton of experience, they won't need on court leadership from elsewhere for a 1 year stint
but a 5th yr player can be better than a reach of a recruit who might not be productive for years if at all when you are recruiting at the end of the cycle

« Reply #723 on: February 12, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Depends on the guy, Baldi.  I don't see anymore Mvoika or even Durand situations on the horizon.  But a player like Lee or a qualify 5th year PG transfer?  That would fit the bill for sure.

+1

MCNPA

« Reply #724 on: February 12, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
+1

Maybe not a Mvoika, but there are guys like Sterling Gibbs,  Damion Lee etc... Yes.  It all depends on the player.  A very good one can be a cog for a year while we have a very young team developing, or even can play a role of some type depending on the player.  There is little to lose with grad transfers. 

« Reply #725 on: February 12, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
+1

Maybe not a Mvoika, but there are guys like Sterling Gibbs,  Damion Lee etc... Yes.  It all depends on the player.  A very good one can be a cog for a year while we have a very young team developing, or even can play a role of some type depending on the player.  There is little to lose with grad transfers. 
I'd take a graduating starting pg from Ivy or Patriot Leagues, even if the guy is mid major level talent.

« Reply #726 on: February 12, 2016, 05:45:09 PM »
5th year guy will only take time away from our future.  At what position does it make sense to add someone? Maybe PG, only if Lovett isn't here

hnk

« Reply #727 on: February 12, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
What about a monster rebounder, who clogs the middle....gets 5 good defensive fouls.....spells Sima, Yakwe, and Owens for foul trouble or injury and can hit his own foul shots.   Creighton picked up someone like that this year.  A guy like that would also make practice tougher for our guys.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:23:30 PM by hnk »

« Reply #728 on: February 12, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »
What about a monster rebounder, who clogs the middle....gets 5 good defensive fouls.....spells Sima, Yakwe, and Owens for foul trouble or injury and can hit his own foul shots.   Creighton picked up someone like that this year.  A guy like that would also make practice tougher for our guys.

Amar

desco80

« Reply #729 on: February 12, 2016, 08:20:14 PM »
5th year guy will only take time away from our future.  At what position does it make sense to add someone? Maybe PG, only if Lovett isn't here

Generally I agree that 5th year transfers don't offer much.  Usually their impact is overrated.

But it's not like we have a ton of scoring options.   Even if everybody pans out for next season.
So if theres a 2 guard or wing out there who can shoot and or get to the rim... I'd look into that.    Like a Quincy Roberts type if things were reversed.   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:21:06 PM by desco80 »

wpc77

« Reply #730 on: February 12, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »

Depends on the guy.  Need some experience everywhere, so long as it's a good player.  Sterling Gibbs type.

« Reply #731 on: February 12, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »
Can someone give me some examples of 5th year transfers that came into the Big East and made a noticeable difference? Serious question

« Reply #732 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:03 PM »
Can someone give me some examples of 5th year transfers that came into the Big East and made a noticeable difference? Serious question

Gordon has been a terrific addition for Seton Hall this year.

Poison

« Reply #733 on: February 13, 2016, 12:07:52 AM »
+1

They need to choose my wisely this time. We understand that it wasn't an option for this season, but if we add a grad transfer, it needs to be a guy who is ready to play. The freshman are learning at a much slower pace because we have two grad transfers who play like dainty girls. The team needs a leader.

Marillac

« Reply #734 on: February 13, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »

Not the Big East, but Lucas led Oklahoma St. to the Final Four the year after transferring from Baylor after the murder. Wichita St. has also done  well recently with them. Butler made it to the  Sweet 16 last year with Etherington and Lyons led Arizona to the sweet 16 a few years back.

Wods317

« Reply #735 on: February 13, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »

Not the Big East, but Lucas led Oklahoma St. to the Final Four the year after transferring from Baylor after the murder. Wichita St. has also done  well recently with them. Butler made it to the  Sweet 16 last year with Etherington and Lyons led Arizona to the sweet 16 a few years back.

Lee and Lewis from Louisville are two of their better players, someone mentioned Gibbs as well. I agree if you are going to bring in someone just to be a "leader" and eat minutes then we don't need that but if we can find an impact player then I am all for it. A guard who can shoot 3's and play defense or a rebounding big would help us for next year.

« Reply #736 on: February 13, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
Is SJU officially out of the Alkins recruitment

« Reply #737 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »

Lee and Lewis from Louisville are two of their better players, someone mentioned Gibbs as well. I agree if you are going to bring in someone just to be a "leader" and eat minutes then we don't need that but if we can find an impact player then I am all for it. A guard who can shoot 3's and play defense or a rebounding big would help us for next year.

I would think that 5th year guys that are worth a damn, are looking to get to March. We are a ways away. 2 years

Foad

« Reply #738 on: February 13, 2016, 10:01:49 AM »
At what position does it make sense to add someone?

At what position does it make sense to add someone ... to the team that's lost 15 games in a row? No one, we're set.

TONYD3

« Reply #739 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:06 AM »
We could use a 5th year kid who is an amazing athlete position doesn't matter. Ron and Durand are not terrible basketball players. But they are not great athletes. It they could have defended better and scored an occasional transition point, we could have looked better this year.