Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL - LOYOLA

• 105 replies

desco80

Re: Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »
Even if we don't address guards this year, I still think we need a wing with handle and range, unless we play 3 guards constantly which I don't really want to see us do.

+1

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
@VerbalCommits: 2014 Orr Academy (IL) F Marlon Jones has received an offer from St. John's. (HT @SwagAir) @24_pookie http://t.co/KDKZ4X9KYg

Lavin offered yesterday apparently.

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
I think new mix tape of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn3SXdWgb40&feature=youtu.be

6'9 180?  Wow that is skinny.  This kid looks like he has a 16 inch vertical from this video. 
I don't know about this one, but I do like the rebounding tenacity.

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2014, 03:55:56 PM »
Courtesy of Moose, some early positive commentary;

April '12
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1369434

Since day one of the spring, scouts and coaches alike have been wondering about a kid that was about 6-foot-8 and blocking everything close to the basket. That same player has shown low post moves and was catching lobs with his head at the rim. That prospects name isMarlon Jones of Chicago Orr in Illinois and he is going to be a good one.

A 2014 forward, Jones is like a one-man zone that has the ability to protect the basket inside the paint but is also a threat to fly out to the perimeter and quickly erase defensive miscues. He can make a jump hook over either shoulder and is a terrific passer from the low post. Jones fights for position in the low post and is strong enough to rut his way under the basket for an offensive rebound. He is long and a solid athlete. When the rising junior is aggressive, he is one of the most productive players in the Midwest.

Marlon Jones has something to prove, so much so that he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

"I am not a one position player," Jones said. "I can play the 3, 4 and 5 position. Basically, I am an all-around player."

His high school coaching staff at Chicago Orr claims that he holds offers from Providence and Purdue so far to go along with interest from Texas, Missouri and Illinois.

June '12

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1377047

This summer Jones was forced to switch AAU teams when the team he was playing for disbanded in the middle of the season. Jones also had to miss the prestigious Nike Elite 100 in St. Louis when his ride fell through at the last minute. Jones' fortunes on the hardwood have started to turn around recently, though.

"I've been hearing the most from Illinois, DePaul, and Vandy, but I've also been in contact with Mizzou, Purdue, and Providence" Jones said. "My coach told me Providence and Purdue have offered."

January '13

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1460010

However, it was the 6-foot-7 Jones who did the most work for Orr. After a quiet first half, the junior power forward took over the second half and dominated the higher-ranked and five-inch-taller Trayvon Reed from Shiloh (Ga.) High. The slender and athletic Jones was all over the offensive glass, ran the floor and played with passion. Jones feels like he's got offers from Providence and Bradley, while Nebraska, DePaul, Illinois, Miami, Notre Dame and Purdue are tracking his progress.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:00:58 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »
Scored on an in bounds play. Sign him up!

paultzman

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
Loyola just had two players leave this week fwiw;

"St. John's offers Chicago big man: Loyola appeared to be in the driver's seat to land Chicago post player Marlon Jones. St. John's, however, offered the late blooming big man during an in-home visit according to Daniel Poneman."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/St-Johns-offers-Chicago-big-man-28101171

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
looks bigger than 180 lbs, at least bigger than Karr. Pretty athletic and active, looks good all around. Would take all 3 6'8 F we are involved with and hope a couple can contribute right away as I don't think ADR will be ready to help much at all next year, These 3 with CJ, Dom and felix will at least give us options up front. I know, lavin can be dangerous with options but I rather have one or two players extra than come up short. Besides all these guys will be here for awhile (barring transfer) allowing Lavin to concentrate strictly on studs in the 15 class.

SJUFAN

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
looks bigger than 180 lbs, at least bigger than Karr. Pretty athletic and active, looks good all around. Would take all 3 6'8 F we are involved with and hope a couple can contribute right away as I don't think ADR will be ready to help much at all next year, These 3 with CJ, Dom and felix will at least give us options up front. I know, lavin can be dangerous with options but I rather have one or two players extra than come up short. Besides all these guys will be here for awhile (barring transfer) allowing Lavin to concentrate strictly on studs in the 15 class.

He looks bigger because I don't believe his listed height is accurate. He appears closer to 6'6F.

Pete88

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
So you can tell from a video that he is 6'6" and not the 6'7"  / 6'8" listed? 

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »

6'9 180?  Wow that is skinny.  This kid looks like he has a 16 inch vertical from this video. 

I dont think he looks that frail and I think you are seriously over exaggerating his 'lack' of athleticism. Yes he is raw but he really doesnt look that bad IMO. Were not gonna find a legit scoring option right now. Id rather Marlon jones play center than Dom pointer. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »

I dont think he looks that frail and I think you are seriously over exaggerating his 'lack' of athleticism. Yes he is raw but he really doesnt look that bad IMO. Were not gonna find a legit scoring option right now. Id rather Marlon jones play center than Dom pointer. 

I'm all for kids that hustle, but why this kid this year with all the transfers? The only way this makes sense is if all the big men transfers like Anderson from BC, the kids form Houston, and the kid from Michigan told Lavin no.

Thomas seems way better  and could be around for three years.  I love the rebounding, but I hate the fact that he says "I can play the three, four, and five."  I want my PF to say he plays PF...like Thomas.  This kid as a three...disgusting. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 03:22:53 AM »

I didn't say he is 6'6 I said he's closer to 6'6. He has also been listed as being 6'9. So to answer your question, yes I could tell.

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:28 AM »
There is another scenario for why we ae not chasing transfers. They may be leaving their teams because of the same me first, ego, and entourage issues that haunted our team this year. There may be concerns, legitimate I would say, that we would just be adding a new troublemaker to the locker room. Better to seek hungry kids who are seeking to improve, and not just seeking a platform to showcase for a season for NBA scouts.

MCNPA

« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »

I didn't say he is 6'6 I said he's closer to 6'6. He has also been listed as being 6'9. So to answer your question, yes I could tell.

Kid looks pretty long, not like a 6'6" kid, but again, just conjecture.  He looks pretty good to me.  Works hard around the glass.  Plays very vertical by the glass.   I don't think it has to be Jones or Thomas.  It could be both.  We lose 3 pf's.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:38:51 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
I haven't seen him in over a year but I remember him being like a less athletic Amir Garrett.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »
I haven't seen him in over a year but I remember him being like a less athletic Amir Garrett.

How's his slider?

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
There is another scenario for why we ae not chasing transfers. They may be leaving their teams because of the same me first, ego, and entourage issues that haunted our team this year. There may be concerns, legitimate I would say, that we would just be adding a new troublemaker to the locker room. Better to seek hungry kids who are seeking to improve, and not just seeking a platform to showcase for a season for NBA scouts.
Good point. The Michigan transfer Horford is one for ten shooting the 3 and he was quoted as saying he wants to go to a school where the coach will let him expand his game and shoot the 3. Until reading that I wanted him but after hell no. Who wants a one year player that wants to play to his weaknesses just to impress the pro scouts.