Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #820 on: July 16, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »
You know I have no idea if there would be any interest on either side so this is just throwing a name out there but what about Herb Sendek?

Has terrific pedigree, major HC experience and would be a nice stop for him on his way to perhaps getting another HC job.  Probably getting fat buyout from ASU so wouldn't demand a ton of money.

Just spitballing.
Frankly I like the profile. Larry Shyatt, as an example, also served NC State well & helped Gottfried strategically. I much prefer guys with head coaching experience v candidates like Richmond or St. Jean. In my opinion, Mullin would benefit from  the assistance of a former head coach with a fair degree of past success. I don't think Slice fits that bill by the way.

Bobby Lutz
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »
You know I have no idea if there would be any interest on either side so this is just throwing a name out there but what about Herb Sendek?

Has terrific pedigree, major HC experience and would be a nice stop for him on his way to perhaps getting another HC job.  Probably getting fat buyout from ASU so wouldn't demand a ton of money.

Just spitballing.
Frankly I like the profile. Larry Shyatt, as an example, also served NC State well & helped Gottfried strategically. I much prefer guys with head coaching experience v candidates like Richmond or St. Jean. In my opinion, Mullin would benefit from  the assistance of a former head coach with a fair degree of past success. I don't think Slice fits that bill by the way.

Preach!!!!

paultzman

« Reply #822 on: July 17, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »

Just spitballing.

WIth Shyatt you are thinking about Billy Donovan.  In fact at one point Donovan had 3 former HC's on his staff a few years ago.  Shyatt (Clemson), his former assistant who he rehired after he got let go at Arkansas (Pelphrey) and Norm Roberts for 1 season before Norm rejoined Self in Kansas.
Sorry, you are correct.  Guess I was thinking of Lutz

« Reply #823 on: July 17, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »
Could be that next guy is an AAU guy and they want to give him the benefit of being with/recruiting his players during the summer. Recall Tiny Morton announcement coming pretty late.
You can't hire the AAU coaches of your recruits.

mkras99

« Reply #824 on: July 17, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
Could be that next guy is an AAU guy and they want to give him the benefit of being with/recruiting his players during the summer. Recall Tiny Morton announcement coming pretty late.

Sure you can.

Tha Kid

« Reply #825 on: July 17, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »

Andy Borman possibility?  Former Dukie and coach of both Alkins and Heron...?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #826 on: July 17, 2015, 01:29:58 PM »

Poison

« Reply #828 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »

http://nypost.com/2014/08/11/company-blocked-ex-duke-champ-from-helping-poor-nyc-kids-suit/

If he likes to help poor people, that's great. On paper, at St.John's, that's their mission, ya know.

« Reply #829 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »

« Reply #830 on: July 17, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »

I'm no expert but I thought that only applied to non-coaching positions

paultzman

« Reply #831 on: August 07, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
@CoachRNaclerio: Just got a phone call from a person who just signed on to be a part of the St. John's basketball staff. Real good guy, real good get.

Poison

« Reply #832 on: August 07, 2015, 08:25:48 AM »
@CoachRNaclerio: Just got a phone call from a person who just signed on to be a part of the St. John's basketball staff. Real good guy, real good get.

That's great to hear. Naclerio knows what he's talking about. He should have hired to be part of the staff when Lou retired. But it's not he's the only oversight they made.

paultzman

« Reply #833 on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:31:00 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #834 on: August 07, 2015, 10:24:32 AM »
@AdamZagoria: Brooklyn native Dan Matic of South Alabama is the new hire on Chris Mullin's staff at St. John's, source tells @SNYtv

« Reply #835 on: August 07, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
Who will be the 3rd assistant?  Richmond?  St. Jean? 

« Reply #836 on: August 07, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »
Matic will be ops guy
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #837 on: August 07, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
Who will be the 3rd assistant?  Richmond?  St. Jean? 

I bet St. Jean

paultzman

« Reply #838 on: August 07, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Also was told all signs pointing toward Mitch Richmond and Greg St. Jean joining Chris Mullin's staff. #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #839 on: August 07, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: At the moment, Greg St. Jean will likely be third assistant and Mitch Richmond special assistant, but could change. #sjubb