South Florida Postgame Discussion

• 44 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: South Florida Postgame Discussion
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
marillac, I expect better from you.  That's simply untrue.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/st-johns/paris-horne/game_stats?season=2008-2009&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=assists&chart4=rebounds_total&chart5=

There are Horne's games from last year.  (Granted, not a lot of wins, but go with me here.)  Take the three game stretch between Feb 22 and Feb 28.  Horne goes 3-13 with 9 points in a win over Seton Hall (a game where he did poorly + the team won); 6-15 for 17 points against Syracuse in a loss; 6-14, 17 points over Depaul in a win.  Also: 23 points on 7-17 shooting vs. Georgetown (W); 6-16 for 16 points against G'Town the first time (W); 7-12 for 19 against South Florida (W); and against Rutgers, I think he scored most of his points in the first half.  He went 12-13 in that game, 27 pts. 

He generally took between 13 and 16 shots per game during conference play - though he seemed shy in the early games.

Horne didn't do well just in blowouts.  I agree he's very limited, especially inside the arc and off the dribble, but to say he was a frontrunner isn't true.

Also, he has regressed this year.  Per minute, he's a less efficient scorer, doesn't pass as much (not that he did before), rebounds a little less, turns the ball over a little more.  And his free throw percentage has gone from curious to abysmal, while his rate of getting to the line remains strangely low. (I swear I see other players drawing foul calls with the same moves Paris uses.)

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
marillac, I expect better from you.

Why?  POY always just makes stuff up in failed attempts to support his weak a$$ positions.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »
Marillac often makes good points.  As do you.  And many people on this board also go off the rails sometimes.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
marillac, I expect better from you.  That's simply untrue.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/st-johns/paris-horne/game_stats?season=2008-2009&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=assists&chart4=rebounds_total&chart5=

There are Horne's games from last year.  (Granted, not a lot of wins, but go with me here.)  Take the three game stretch between Feb 22 and Feb 28.  Horne goes 3-13 with 9 points in a win over Seton Hall (a game where he did poorly + the team won); 6-15 for 17 points against Syracuse in a loss; 6-14, 17 points over Depaul in a win.  Also: 23 points on 7-17 shooting vs. Georgetown (W); 6-16 for 16 points against G'Town the first time (W); 7-12 for 19 against South Florida (W); and against Rutgers, I think he scored most of his points in the first half.  He went 12-13 in that game, 27 pts. 

He generally took between 13 and 16 shots per game during conference play - though he seemed shy in the early games.

Horne didn't do well just in blowouts.  I agree he's very limited, especially inside the arc and off the dribble, but to say he was a frontrunner isn't true.

Also, he has regressed this year.  Per minute, he's a less efficient scorer, doesn't pass as much (not that he did before), rebounds a little less, turns the ball over a little more.  And his free throw percentage has gone from curious to abysmal, while his rate of getting to the line remains strangely low. (I swear I see other players drawing foul calls with the same moves Paris uses.)

He scored 20 or more points seven times.  We lost FIVE of those seven by double-digits.   One of the wins was Rutgers and the other was Georgetown--a team we beat twice.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 06:41:14 PM »

He scored 20 or more points seven times.  We lost FIVE of those seven by double-digits.   One of the wins was Rutgers and the other was Georgetown--a team we beat twice.
I was using efficiency rather than shots/ points put up as doing well.  A difference of definition, I suppose.  Horne's per minute, or per 40, or tempo free stats show he's regressed a bit; the team has gotten smoked by a ton, and Horne is still not putting up shots at the same rate or converting at the same rate in wins or losses.  And sometimes he plays some extended minutes, but looks tentative to shoot.