Bracketology thread

• 332 replies

Marillac

Re: Bracketology thread
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Our St. Mary's win is now a top 50 win at they moved up to 49 in the RPI.  Hopefully they have a good showing against Gonzaga tonight!!

Gonzaga game is huge.  They just beat a solid Portland team.  Could be their last chance for a marquee win unless they get a good match up in the conference tournament.  Looking like they could match up with BYU second round if they both hold positions and win round 1 games. 

We  could really use them squarely inside the top 50.  It'd be nice to get Minnesota and LBSU inside the top 100 instead of 102 and 103 as well.

paultzman

« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
Our St. Mary's win is now a top 50 win at they moved up to 49 in the RPI.  Hopefully they have a good showing against Gonzaga tonight!!

Gonzaga game is huge.  They just beat a solid Portland team.  Could be their last chance for a marquee win unless they get a good match up in the conference tournament.  Looking like they could match up with BYU second round if they both hold positions and win round 1 games. 

We  could really use them squarely inside the top 50.  It'd be nice to get Minnesota and LBSU inside the top 100 instead of 102 and 103 yas well.
Minnesota is imploding, 5-10 in conference.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:16:20 PM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »

We  could really use them squarely inside the top 50.  It'd be nice to get Minnesota and LBSU inside the top 100 instead of 102 and 103 yas well.

Implosion happened earlier in the year. They have actually recovered pretty decently until dropping to Northwestern earlier in the week.  It's probably way too late to have them win enough to be a quality win, but if they could win a few more and get inside the top 100, it would help us.  The #s are so arbitrary, but the committee goes through so many teams it has to rely on those cutoffs.  Xavier is right outside of the top 25, Cuse or the top 50, and Minn and LBSU just outside the top 100. 

« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »

Implosion happened earlier in the year. They have actually recovered pretty decently until dropping to Northwestern earlier in the week.  It's probably way too late to have them win enough to be a quality win, but if they could win a few more and get inside the top 100, it would help us.  The #s are so arbitrary, but the committee goes through so many teams it has to rely on those cutoffs.  Xavier is right outside of the top 25, Cuse or the top 50, and Minn and LBSU just outside the top 100. 

I'm pretty sure Minnesota stunk all year

« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:11 PM »

Before today's game Minnesota was 99 in the RPI. 

Before their current 3 game losing streak they had a 3 game winning streak and beat Nebraska / Purdue / @ Iowa.  Those 3 wins helped their RPI a great deal.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:42:49 PM by upstate32 »

« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »

Before their current 3 game losing streak they had a 3 game winning streak and beat Nebraska / Purdue / @ Iowa.  Those 3 wins helped their RPI a great deal.

I don't think any of those teams make the tourny

« Reply #266 on: February 22, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »

I dont think theres anyway both purdue and Iowa dont get in. They would both have to really play bad. If they both stay on the bubble then at least one will make it, IMO.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »

I dont think theres anyway both purdue and Iowa dont get in. They would both have to really play bad. If they both stay on the bubble then at least one will make it, IMO.
I could see Purdue not getting in.  Their last three are @ Ohio St / @ Mich St / Illinois. 

My point above was that Minnesota went on a little streak to improve their RPI, hence improving our resume a small bit. 

« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2015, 09:36:48 AM »
St Mary's down to 53 in the RPI after last nights loss to Zags. 

« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
St Mary's down to 53 in the RPI after last nights loss to Zags.
They're in trouble.  Not much top competition OOC except us, and losses to BYU, Boise and Pepperdine will hurt them with their fluff schedule. They need to win their tourney.

Doesn't seem like 5 years ago that we saw the photos of the guys making the road trip and touring in SF.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:52:19 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »
Lunardi  just said on  Sportscenter, we win the next 2 AT HOME, we are in

« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »

I think this team is going to have a tough time beating Georgetown.  They don't match up well against the Hoyas.

Wods317

« Reply #272 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

I think this team is going to have a tough time beating Georgetown.  They don't match up well against the Hoyas.

I don't think it's as horrible a matchup as people think. When you play a really bad game against a team that's the first thing everyone says. We played absolutely horrible in that game, much like last year and much like last year I think we can beat them at home. Dlo and Rysheed had atrocious games, that's why we lost.

« Reply #273 on: February 22, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »

I don't think it's as horrible a matchup as people think. When you play a really bad game against a team that's the first thing everyone says. We played absolutely horrible in that game, much like last year and much like last year I think we can beat them at home. Dlo and Rysheed had atrocious games, that's why we lost.

I agree, Wods.  I don't think it is such a terrible matchup although, with the development of the freshmen, they have a lot of options.  We played out third game in one week, while they had not played for a week and were rested.  That, combined with the fact that they were at home, made it a herculean task.  While they are a tough team, we should play much better this time.  Hopefully, we can pull out a victory on Senior Day at MSG.

LoganK

« Reply #274 on: February 22, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »

I agree, Wods.  I don't think it is such a terrible matchup although, with the development of the freshmen, they have a lot of options.  We played out third game in one week, while they had not played for a week and were rested.  That, combined with the fact that they were at home, made it a herculean task.  While they are a tough team, we should play much better this time.  Hopefully, we can pull out a victory on Senior Day at MSG.
I hope it was more the home/road issue, because it's the same situation for the second matchup.

« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »

« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »

I hope it was more the home/road issue, because it's the same situation for the second matchup.

They have a week off again but this time we have a Monday to Saturday turn around.  The last time, it was Saturdat to Wednesday.  Further, the team went fron Cinci straight to DC instead of coming home due to weather concerns. 

« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/st-johns-red-storm/bracketology

As of now, 48.4% chance of an at large.

They are projecting results for the rest of the season.  According to www.bracketmatrix.com we are currently in 95 of 96 brackets with an average seed of 10.  The one bracket we are not in is from 2/15.  Jerry Palm doesn't even have us on the bubble.

LoganK

« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/st-johns-red-storm/bracketology

As of now, 48.4% chance of an at large.

They are projecting results for the rest of the season.  According to www.bracketmatrix.com we are currently in 95 of 96 brackets with an average seed of 10.  The one bracket we are not in is from 2/15.  Jerry Palm doesn't even have us on the bubble.
I almost posted that exact thing in response to the post about where Lunardi had us.  Would also add that Lunardi is the 44th most accurate baracketologist out of the 76 who have put out a bracketology over the last 3+ year.  In other words...he's not very good, relatively speaking.

« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2015, 03:49:37 PM »
Oregon is up 5 on Utah at half right now.  A win by Oregon against Utah would increase the pressure on St Johns to win their next two games.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:50:06 PM by upstate32 »