The Next Five Games

• 41 replies

desco80

Re: The Next Five Games
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »
I think these next five games will be a true test of the legitimacy of this team.   
Are they consistent enough to play meaningful games in March?

Before we kickoff conference play with Seton Hall on New Year's Eve; how well do you think the team will do against:

Farleigh Dickinson
Fordham
St. Marys
Long Beach State
Tulane

I say 3-2, I think we're too reliant on Obekpa's health and staying out of foul trouble.   I also think we haven't completely figured out how to score efficiently.   That we shot 50% from 3 against Cuse blows my mind.  But whether it was by design or by luck, I don't think that's a repeatable strategy.

How many of those games are you going to watch?

What's that supposed to mean?

You said in another thread that you missed the Syracuse game and that might be the reason why SJU played well.

Gotcha.  Unfortunately I only miss SJU games for 1) home Giants games, and 2) exceptionally important family commitments.  And number 2 is more of a guide than a rule.   

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
Will be at all 5 games, expecting to win.

You sir...have earned the right to rant and rave.  Some of us lazy a$$ armchair fans...should shut up and listen.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
I think this team is focused and understand the importance of going in strong to start the BE season...Lavin's team have a track record of losing at least one bad game but I believe this season is different.
I know we are going to be small against most teams but are the next 5 teams have bigs like Cuse and the zags?
Cougar O' Malley

Wods317

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »
Anything less then 4-1 would be very very disappointing. St. Mary's is a tough game but other than that we need to win these games. Granted Long Beach a State is a solid team I don't see us losing that one. Going with 5-0 but could see 4-1, no worse.

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »
I think this team is focused and understand the importance of going in strong to start the BE season...Lavin's team have a track record of losing at least one bad game but I believe this season is different. I know we are going to be small against most teams but are the next 5 teams have bigs like Cuse and the zags?

We aren't all that small compared to past SJU teams.  We tend to play small though and don't have all our bigs eligible either.  Alibegovic is a big kid and seems to know where to be on the court.  He has a long way to go though.  Joey Delarosa will be eligible soon.  I have no idea what he can offer us but he's a legitimately big body and maybe can lean on people for a few minutes per game if not more.  If we get Adonis eligible any time soon, he can certainly help for a few minutes per game.  He's the only post guy who can actually put the ball in the hoop and is huge to boot.  If the kid gets on a strict diet plan, he can lose 10's of lbs in next few months and actually get more mobile.  Might be too much to ask.  I think we can win all of our next five games for sure if we continue to be smart on the court.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:37 AM »
I been thinking of going to the St. Mary's  game, but don't have a personal.
I never went to a game at Carnesecca, only msg games.

So I was wondering if it's worth taking mass transit  to St. John's, I mean with it being in Jamaica.

Thanks in advanced.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 01:19:18 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised to see them drop to either LB State or St. Mary's. 4-1
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 01:59:49 AM »
I think this team is focused and understand the importance of going in strong to start the BE season...Lavin's team have a track record of losing at least one bad game but I believe this season is different. I know we are going to be small against most teams but are the next 5 teams have bigs like Cuse and the zags?
We aren't all that small compared to past SJU teams. We tend to play small though and don't have all our bigs eligible either. Alibegovic is a big kid and seems to know where to be on the court. He has a long way to go though. Joey Delarosa will be eligible soon. I have no idea what he can offer us but he's a legitimately big body and maybe can lean on people for a few minutes per game if not more. If we get Adonis eligible any time soon, he can certainly help for a few minutes per game. He's the only post guy who can actually put the ball in the hoop and is huge to boot. If the kid gets on a strict diet plan, he can lose 10's of lbs in next few months and actually get more mobile. Might be too much to ask. I think we can win all of our next five games for sure if we continue to be smart on the court.

MCN thanks for the insight. I'm excited and this, SMU is playing in NYC so revenge gane to go along with a great year.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »
We aren't all that small compared to past SJU teams. We tend to play small though and don't have all our bigs eligible either. Alibegovic is a big kid and seems to know where to be on the court. He has a long way to go though. Joey Delarosa will be eligible soon. I have no idea what he can offer us but he's a legitimately big body and maybe can lean on people for a few minutes per game if not more. If we get Adonis eligible any time soon, he can certainly help for a few minutes per game. He's the only post guy who can actually put the ball in the hoop and is huge to boot. If the kid gets on a strict diet plan, he can lose 10's of lbs in next few months and actually get more mobile. Might be too much to ask. I think we can win all of our next five games for sure if we continue to be smart on the court.
Anyone have any idea when Joey Delarosa or Adonis Delarosa will be eligible? Can we get that attorney on the NCAA again? Too bad we can't strong arm them. 

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
I have read Joey will be back for St. Mary's

ADR is still in limbo, but heard SJU will have NCAA response this month. Who knows!

sju89tr

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
Really need to go 5-0, a loss would mean we need to win an extra big east game in my opinion. If we win the five then an 11-1 record going into big east play, chalk up a loss to Duke and I would hope we split with Villanova, Xavier, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Butler, Providence and Creighton and sweep DePaul and Marquette for an 11-7 bi east record.

22-9 should get us in the tournament. The next 5 are crucial as it gives the team some breathing room in case of a hiccup in conf play

desco80

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 09:24:29 AM »
I have read Joey will be back for St. Mary's ADR is still in limbo, but heard SJU will have NCAA response this month. Who knows!

We heard that story about Orlando for months, and he ended up sitting out the whole year.

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »
I have read Joey will be back for St. Mary's ADR is still in limbo, but heard SJU will have NCAA response this month. Who knows!
We heard that story about Orlando for months, and he ended up sitting out the whole year.
You could be right, but I think this one is less complicated than Sanchez' situation. That said, NCAA could choose not to clear him. We'll see.

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
You could be right, but I think this one is less complicated than Sanchez' situation. That said, NCAA could choose not to clear him. We'll see.

The case was a bit different, but the NCAA just cleared the kid from Louisville yesterday. Not sure where ADR stands in line though.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/ncaa-clears-shaqquan-aaron-to-play-for-no-4-louisville-120914

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »
Oh I'm sure the NCAA will take their time on this. They'll probably clear him sometime in February.

paultzman

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
Another favorite of mine will be at Long Beach State game at CA.
@MoeHatten: St. John's game on the 22nd

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
We'll win every game running up to Nova… and that's a 50-50 game.

Tha Kid

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »

Agree.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
Agree.
Per KenPom odds, there is about an 18% chance of us winning the 5 games leading up to Villanova.  We are favored in 4 of them, with Seton Hall essentially being a pick 'em

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
Agree.
Per KenPom odds, there is about an 18% chance of us winning the 5 games leading up to Villanova. We are favored in 4 of them, with Seton Hall essentially being a pick 'em

The SH game is very good timing for us. It will be their first conference game for a talented but inexperienced group. I'd much rather play them on the road to start the conference slate than to finish it. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:38:24 AM by Marillac »