Best Guards in the Big East

• 7 replies
Best Guards in the Big East
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
The most depth in the conference lies with its guard play. I figured just one list would leave too many good player out so I'm gonna do SG's and PG's separately.

SHOOTING GUARDS: The top three are easy choices in my mind and I couldn't disagree with anyone's order of them, here's mine.

1.) Darrun Hilliard NOVA - I think the most complete player in the conference. Good at all stages of the game and makes winning plays consistently.

2.) D'Angelo Harrison SJU - Explosive scorer who has yet to make his mark on the national scene. Very good rebounder and underrated passer. Ive seen plenty of people call him a bad defender but that is far from the truth. Can be inconsistent.

3.) D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera GTOWN - Admittedly I haven't seen him play as much as Hilliard or Harrison. Similar to Harrison in that he is a bigger, stronger guard and is very capable of hitting from distance. Not as explosive a scorer as DLO, not as good a play maker as Hilliard IMO.

4.) Isaiah Whitehead HALL - The lone freshman on my list. Two things I know for sure he wont be lacking this year; Talent and opportunities.

5.) Phil Greene IV SJU - I'm not a very big Greene fan but there wasnt anyone else who stood out to me. I had Dunham and Trawick as more of SF's. Greene is a capable shooter from deep and has plenty of experience. Doesnt make anyone around him better.

POINT GUARDS: Again I could see this list in a few different orders and there's more depth here so a few real good players were left off.

1.) Rysheed Jordan SJU - Most explosive guard in the big east. Great size and athleticism and has good form on his jumper. Could be the best perimeter defender in the league if commits to it.

2.) Ryan Arcidiacono NOVA - I love this kids game. Knows how to play and makes winning plays (common theme for the nova guys). Pesky defender and always seems to draw fouls which drive me crazy lol!

3.) Sterling Gibbs HALL - Very solid all around game. Doesnt wow you but always puts together a very solid performance. Not as explosive as Rysheed, not as savvy as Arcidiacono.

4.) Billy Garrett JR DePaul - Had a very good freshmen year on a team that no one talks about. Solid in all aspects. Should only get better, hope he gets some help.

5.) Kris Dunn PROV - Has had awful luck with injuries but I believe he has the talent to be as good as any guard on the list. Very big, very strong, very athletic. Hope he can stay healthy.

*Austin Chatman and Dee Davis - Both very good guards and gives credence to the depth of the league. Chatman the better shooter, Davis the better defender.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

Re: Best Guards in the Big East
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
Love Jordan's potential, and he could be there this year. The Nova kid deserves the top spot right now. He was really tough on us. As far as Harrison, I completely agree. Greene as the 5th best shooting guard in the conference is asking a lot. He has definitely improved, but would need to have a Paris Horne like senior year.

desco80

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:10 PM »
I'd say Smith-Rivera, but I agree that reasonable minds could place the top 3 in any order.

And I hope that Jordan is the leagues best pg, but as of today it's Archidiapomus.
Jordans potential needs to be realized first.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:30:25 AM »
Tried responding earlier, but I guess it didn't go through.

SG
Harrison - A bit of a homer pick but it's close and he can do it all
Smith-Rivera - Solid player
Hilliard - Good shooter, a little slow for my liking
Whitehead - Most potential
Brooks - I could see this kid blowing up

Dunham would be on this list, but I'm not sure where to list him.  Offensively he is a SG, but he is too big and slow to effectively defend the other guys on this list.
Greene- Could very well work his way on to this list.

PG
Archie - Until proven otherwise
Jordan - Most potential
Gibbs - Very underrated IMO
Chatman - Took a backseat to some good players
Davis - Too experienced not to list here, no Christon to steal stats

Dunn - Can he stay healthy?
Garrett - He'll be a very solid, but it's tough to take Depaul seriously.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:02:20 AM »
Love Jordan's potential, and he could be there this year. The Nova kid deserves the top spot right now. He was really tough on us. As far as Harrison, I completely agree. Greene as the 5th best shooting guard in the conference is asking a lot. He has definitely improved, but would need to have a Paris Horne like senior year.

Yea like I said, im far from a huge Greene fan but there wasnt much else. He is a senior and has proven he can score.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:14:28 AM »

Yea like I said, im far from a huge Greene fan but there wasnt much else. He is a senior and has proven he can score.

Greene can be successful in a system where he isn't asked to be a star. Is he good enough to be a star? I don't think so, but I'd love to be wrong. From last year, he made the biggest improvement of any player. But that said, I don't think you could put him on a Seton Hall or a DePaul and expect an all level player. He isn't well rounded enough.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
DePaul still has a basketball program?  They have uniforms and everything

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

Greene can be successful in a system where he isn't asked to be a star. Is he good enough to be a star? I don't think so, but I'd love to be wrong. From last year, he made the biggest improvement of any player. But that said, I don't think you could put him on a Seton Hall or a DePaul and expect an all level player. He isn't well rounded enough.

I don't think we've seen a fraction of what Greene and Branch can accomplish if it all clicks.  For Branch it is asserting himself on the floor and for Greene it is staying healthy and staying off the ball.