Which recruit do you most want?

• 50 replies

Johnny23

Re: Which recruit do you most want?
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »
I must say I'm impressed and glad to see Lavin doing work on the recruiting trail. If we get Obekpa back and land any 2 of Horford, Thomas and Cunningham I would be happy going into next year. Even if we land one of those 3 and CO I'd be ok with it. Also Roddy Peters is a legit PG transfer out of DC area. Then you got to start working on getting a big time ass't for Lav's staff.

desco80

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
Lavin and staff took a lot of heat this year for recruiting or perceived  lack there of... Shit, even I was getting a bit perplexed myself,  to the point where Fratto blocked me from twitter as well..

Well, here we are again and it looks like a lot is going on with the recruiting front..

It's like we never learn our lessons... Lavin and his staff do a lot of things that deserve criticism...however, imo, recruiting isn't one.  We always freak out way too early in the recruiting season and then he ends up landing quality players...

He's going to do the same now... If Obekpa returns, I think this team has a very good chance of being successful.. Call me a kool-aide drinker or whatever the buzz word is this week.... Doesn't matter.

FTR- i definitely see that some posters hatred for Lavin will lead to the inevitable 'rooting against the team for the overall good of the program' hogwash... What a load of crap that is..  If that is your MO... just leave now. 

Brisco is going to pop for STJ....

Put it back in your pants Boo, you're getting a little too excited!
We're recruiting jucos, transfers, and everyone else on the island of misfit-ballers.    They could be meaningful contributors, but why are we picking from what's left at the bottom of the barrel?   

With that said, Briscoe/Diallo would be HUGE.   This board, myself included, would become hysterical.   Felipe/zendon type hype would ensue. 

What is wrong with getting excited? Things aren't nearly as gloomy as you make them out to be, assuming Obekpa comes back..  We lost Sampson...ok?  We have a giant space eater( DeLa Rosa) and if this kid Thomas can get the ball off the glass, then we will be fine..  The backcourt is going to be phenomenal..

The production from the backcourt will be much better overall because Jordan will be that much better.  We won';t have Sampson shooting the ball 15 times from 18 feet out.  Sampson's rebounding can be made up.

I've always liked Christian Jones...Lets hope a year off gets the fire lit under his ass..

There's nothing wrong with getting excited about the team, I hope you do obviously.    But you're making this recruiting effort out to be something it's not. This doesn't prove we shouldn't have doubted him. Lavin isn't above criticism for recruiting, and this year is a good example of why.   

But I agree with you that the talent level has stabilized, the defections have seemingly stopped, and if he can add some role players we'll have a roster capable of playing in the tournament.   Will they be able to actually win games? Who the hell knows.   I'd be a lot more confident if coach brought in some fresh ideas to the staff. 

boo3

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
 "But you're making this recruiting effort out to be something it's not. This doesn't prove we shouldn't have doubted him. Lavin isn't above criticism for recruiting, and this year is a good example of why.  " - Desco

See, I totally disagree. He has brought more talent into this program than we have seen in ages, when many didn't think it was possible again, after being away from the gyms for 7 years..  Last couple of years , posters whined incessantly about the lack of recruiting before the april/may period, and then he got commits.

So here we are again late April/May.. let see the results before we cry about the process, ok?..  I don't know the staffs game plan earlier in the recruiting cycle, but when all is said and done, I have confidence that there will be enough pieces in place to have a quality team...

Safe to assume we won;t agree on this issue so I'm not going to bother anymore.. It's like banging my head into a door over and over again.. 

Let's wait and see....  We got Sampson, Obekpa, and Jordan real late... Obviously that kind of talent isn't there now, but do we need it?  We have those guys already on the team!

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »
I dont think Cunningham looks that good in his tape. If he didn't have a top 100 next to him we would look at him and ask why are we recruiting him.

Give me Thomas

Cunningham has offers from schools like Indiana.  He dropped 36 point and 22rebounds in a game in front of Crean this season in Chicago public league.  Some reason, I doubt it is the case. 

Fair enough. Just my opinion. Nothing I saw in the tapes stood out to me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
Why would Horford come to sju to compete with Obekpa?   
I would be excited to grab him too, but this rumor was mentioned in the same news as Newbill.   So I have my doubts.

Horford imo would be ahead of Obekpa at the 5.  He's a much more well rounded player with actual offense and is a bit bigger as well.  Staff probably moved on already from Obekpa when he got his papers.  As of now, no idea.  I'd take Horford regardless.

Yes. I'd be very happy with Obekpa-Horford at the 4/5 with primarily 3 guard sets. Would allow for Obekpa to get after blocks a bit more too. Jones/Thomas possibly off the bench at the 4/5 and suddenly we're looking pretty decent in the front court.

Trone

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Thomas is the most ready and needed player we are targeting, after watching tapes on both cunningham and marlon jones i actually like jones more.  Has more weight on him, showed some ability to shoot and is two inches taller than cunnigham.  Cunnigham is smoother and we would be a decent three if he improved his shooting but Jones can definitely be a solid 4. 

ras

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
Im like a broken record. Although our immediate needs are bigs. Lavin better start lining up players for the future. Cant have 15 being the youngst team in America.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
Why would Horford come to sju to compete with Obekpa?   
I would be excited to grab him too, but this rumor was mentioned in the same news as Newbill.   So I have my doubts.

Horford imo would be ahead of Obekpa at the 5.  He's a much more well rounded player with actual offense and is a bit bigger as well.  Staff probably moved on already from Obekpa when he got his papers.  As of now, no idea.  I'd take Horford regardless.

Yes. I'd be very happy with Obekpa-Horford at the 4/5 with primarily 3 guard sets. Would allow for Obekpa to get after blocks a bit more too. Jones/Thomas possibly off the bench at the 4/5 and suddenly we're looking pretty decent in the front court.

I think Obekpa, should he return, should stop trying to block everything, and guard his damn man. By going for there block every single time, he mostly gets called for goal tending, or simply loses his man altogether.

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
Agreed poison.  The blocks are flashy, but when you don't get them you find yourself out of position for any kind of rebound or committing goaltending.  On this team as currently constructed, Obekpa being out of position means lots of offensive rebounds.  I'd give up all the blocks if it meant better team defense. 

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
If one man goes for the block, why can't the other players crash the boards?  Why do we have to pass on trying to block the shot?  Doesn't that increase the chance that the shot goes in, thereby making it likelier that there is no offensive rebound to get?  Perhaps the problem is not the blocker (Obekpa or otherwise) but, rather, the guys who stand around admiring the block.  Just a thought.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »
after watching tapes on both cunningham and marlon jones i actually like jones more.  Has more weight on him, showed some ability to shoot and is two inches taller than cunnigham.  Cunnigham is smoother and we would be a decent three if he improved his shooting but Jones can definitely be a solid 4. 

No way. Cunningham by a mile.