Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL - BRADLEY

• 290 replies

paultzman

Things have been going pretty well for Cunningham. The 6-foot-7 forward from Chicago (Ill.) Morgan Park won a state championship during his senior season and ascended into the national top 100. Saturday, Cunningham looked like a kid who will continue to climb the rankings when he made the most of a nice opportunity.

Usually, Cunningham's Mac Irvin Fire team is headlined by five-star big men Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander. After them, sophomore guards Marcus LoVett and Jalen Brunson get a lot of attention. With only Brunson in attendance from that group at the Run-N-Slam, Cunningham proved he is more than capable of carrying the load.

Cunningham finished the day with a sparkling 29-point effort against NLP to move the Fire into the quarterfinals. He corralled rebounds, ran the floor for dunks, spotted up to hit 3-pointers and looked comfortable in a leadership role.

Over the past few weeks, the four-star prospect's recruitment has taken off as well. Cunningham and coach Nick Irvin mentioned recent offers from Oklahoma, Iowa, Virginia Tech, DePaul, Florida State, Missouri, Bradley and St. John's, while Michigan State has been asking around a little more.

“@TheRecruitScoop: Day 2 of the Spiece Memorial Run-N-Slam is summed up by @ebosshoops - http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1502750
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:36:06 PM by Moose »

paultzman

Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »
Josh Cunningham - Also at 6-7, Cunningham is one of the wing shooters for Mac Irvin. His latest offer is from Minnesota to go along with offers from Bradley, DePaul, Iowa, Iowa State, St. John's, Missouri and Oklahoma.
Cunningham said Oklahoma is recruiting him the hardest.

“@Hoyas247: .@jerrymeyer247 with a couple notes on #Hoyas recruiting targets in this update from the UA Summer Jam http://georgetown.247sports.com/Article/Cliff-Alexander-Wade-Baldwin-Ben-Bentil-others-at-Summer-Jam-139744

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
“@RyanJamesMN: 4 star Wing Josh Cunningham said he just arrived for his visit at Creighton.”

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
During the Fall, Cunningham used official visits to check out Creighton, Iowa State, Bradley and Oklahoma. The Cyclones are out, but Minnesota, Indiana, South Carolina, St. John's, DePaul and Michigan State are involved as well. Only the Spartans have yet to offer and Irvin feels that could be coming soon.

"He wasn't able to make it down to Indiana because of the weather," said Irvin. "He will get there and Michigan State to see a game. He'll use his official visit for somewhere that is more distant."

Now, Cunningham and Morgan Park are focused on trying to win a City Public League title and defending their state title. After things slow down, it will be time to move on to making a decision.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1608315#sthash.aBy3kxMT.uxfs

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »
maybe he is our late signing

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:52 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/144464/josh-cunningham

I wonder if he has any connection to Phil....

"Cunningham is a warrior in every sense of the word. He impacts the game with his tenacity on the glass and major bounce. He has a nose for the ball around the hoop and he gets up twice before most get up once."

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »
Kid looks good.  Rivals has him top 80 prospect.   Replace Sanchez, Gift and Bourgault with Cunningham, Delarosa and Jay Henderson maybe and imo a net gain talent-wise overall.   I guess that's why we have to wait to judge until after spring signing. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:57:11 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

Moose

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »
Hate to suppress all those good feelings but the Rivals article that re-invigorated this thread said nothing about SJU besides we offered.  Which we did a long time ago.  Didn't say he is looking to visit, or we have watched him recently or anything really.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
True moose.  Just getting some mention of a top 80 kid as a possibility is promising though, as we really need a forward to replace Sanchez who is the only forward on roster capable of hitting a 3 pointer.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
SJU not in mix for some time.Bradley seems likely with Indiana trying hard.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:33:50 AM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »

Good info

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »

Good info

Damn..  Oh well, there goes that idea.

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »

Good info

Should have noted "from what I have read". He does say he is open, but looking at his visit list and Indiana chatter, I concluded we were not in this. Hope I am wrong;

"The No. 122 player nationally in his class according to the 247Composite, Cunningham is one of the best remaining players available for 2014 and has offers from Bradley, Creighton, DePaul, Oklahoma and South Carolina, among others.

“I’m still open to any school,” Cunningham said via text.

The 6-foot-7 forward told Inside the Hall that he might make it down for one of IU’s four remaining home games. He has one official visit available to take this spring. He’s already taken official visits to Bradley, Creighton, Iowa State and Oklahoma."

http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/02/06/indiana-offers-class-of-2014-forward-josh-cunningham/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:53:51 AM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 08:57:36 AM »

Good info

Should have noted "from what I have read". He does say he is open, but looking at his visit list and Indiana chatter, I concluded we were not in this. Hope I am wrong;

"The No. 122 player nationally in his class according to the 247Composite, Cunningham is one of the best remaining players available for 2014 and has offers from Bradley, Creighton, DePaul, Oklahoma and South Carolina, among others.

The 6-foot-7 forward told Inside the Hall that he might make it down for one of IU’s four remaining home games. He has one official visit available to take this spring. He’s already taken official visits to Bradley, Creighton, Iowa State and Oklahoma."

http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/02/06/indiana-offers-class-of-2014-forward-josh-cunningham/

Since he has already taken 4 of his 5 visits I would think his last visit might be a good indicator of where he's headed.

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »

Good info

Since he has already taken 4 of his 5 visits I would think his last visit might be a good indicator of where he's headed.

My gut tells me we land DelaRosa  and go Juco route for another big, unless a fifth year transfer falls into our laps. (Assuming NCAAS rules remain unchanged) I suspect we are serious for Jay Henderson for Marco's spot. He seems fond of us from what I see on his twitter feed. Never saw him, but it appears he is a late bloomer, from good AAU program, who can shoot. We'll see.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »

Good info

My gut tells me we land DelaRosa  and go Juco route for another big, unless a fifth year transfer falls into our laps. (Assuming NCAAS rules remain unchanged) I suspect we are serious for Jay Henderson for Marco's spot. He seems fond of us from what I see on his twitter feed. Never saw him, but it appears he is a late bloomer, from good AAU program, who can shoot. We'll see.

Sounds about right Paultz.  I'd really like to land another forward though.  Either sf or PF.  Our roster will be barren after next year, and we need to groom a forward or two. 

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
You also have Christian Jones coming back next year. He is certainly capable of Gift type production.

Replacing Sanchez could be solved the JUCO route. If we get De La Rosa, then in 14-15, we would him DLR [fr], Jones [soph], JUCO big [jr] and hopefully Obekpa [jr] and JKS [jr]. In 15-16, you would certainly see DLR, Jones and JUCO big all back. Don't know if CO and JKS would be moving on by then.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
Video of him talking about his recruitment, ESPN still has us listed

No. 22 PF Cunningham Talks Recruiting - ESPN Video - ESPN

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »
He was at the Butler game with the guy who is going to Duke