Georgetown game thread

• 54 replies

paultzman

Re: Georgetown game thread
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
Obviously with the quality recruits & guys sitting out, the team will improve. Duh! :D That said, I strongly feel next season will be one with ups & downs. Fifteen wins or so would be a fair expectation in my opinion. The unanswered question is can this staff become proficient  in X&O and game preparation areas? If we give them a pass with current team, it seems fair to judge their results next season.

On the X&O side, assuming St. Jean is the main cog there, I still wonder whether this is a lot to expect from a 23 year old guy without much experience. I had hoped CM would would add a guy with that background to help him get acclimated to coaching. As much as I appreciate having Slice, IMO that is not his forte. Kudos on the recruiting front, but jury is out on coaching in my opinion. Still keeping the faith, but keeping my expectations in some perspective.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:32:10 AM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »
Obviously with the quality recruits & guys sitting out, the team will improve. Duh! :D That said, I strongly feel next season will be one with ups & downs. Fifteen wins or so would be a fair expectation in my opinion. The unanswered question is can this staff become proficient  in X&O and game preparation areas? If we give them a pass with current team, it seems fair to judge their results next season.

On the X&O side, assuming St. Jean is the main cog there, I still wonder whether this is a lot to expect from a 23 year old guy without much experience. I had hoped CM would would add a guy with that background to help him get acclimated to coaching. As much as I appreciate having Slice, IMO that is not his forte. Kudos on the recruiting front, but jury is out on coaching in my opinion. Still keeping the faith, but keeping my expectations in some perspective.
Well said.

hnk

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 09:03:57 AM »
Rebounding is and will probably be an incredible weakness.....we will lack SIZE....not necessarily height but SIZE,,,,upper body....backside......boxing out...blocking out.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »

Agree 100%.

Wods317

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »

Very fair. NIT should be a reasonable goal for next season in my mind. That would be a nice jump for a very young squad.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »

I concur.

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »
Any love for Christian jones last night? He missed a few right at the rim, but he also hit 2 or 3 jumpers from 17 feet or so. His stroke has looked pretty good and now he is starting to hit them. I've also been really impressed with his ability to take the ball up the court.

I kinda wonder if he is developing more because of this years staff or just cuz he is actually getting PT

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »
Any love for Christian jones last night? He missed a few right at the rim, but he also hit 2 or 3 jumpers from 17 feet or so. His stroke has looked pretty good and now he is starting to hit them. I've also been really impressed with his ability to take the ball up the court.

I kinda wonder if he is developing more because of this years staff or just cuz he is actually getting PT

He has shown some signs of life. However, I still think we're limited with him at the 4. He can't guard anyone.

Wods317

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »

He has been one of the few consistent players in the last few games. He will be a serviceable bench piece next year because of his rebounding decent scoring touch.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »

He has shown some signs of life. However, I still think we're limited with him at the 4. He can't guard anyone.

His defense is lacking, I'm still surprised he doesn't play tougher, it seems like he can body a lot of players but just doesn't get after it.

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »

Any right minded person (all except carmine who just wants to give Mullin a lifetime pass even if he goes winless-which is mindless)  would have to agree and I thought the same thing about an experienced X and O's guy since Mo completed his staff. Let's hope he addresses this situation in the near future.

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

I think the promise of a 15 win season will keep the Alkins/Makers of the world looking elsewhere.  Everyone pretty knows, I'm no pollyanna...but with the players we've recruited so far along with what we return should bring us at least 20 wins.

Right now, the team has no point guard.  That's like a football team with no quarterback.  Next year, we'll have a decent point guard.

I'm also reading the players who are coming can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit free throws.

I'm up in the air about the coaching.  I don't think we'd have this record if Larry Brown or Bobby Knight were here.  I'm not advocating them, but I'm addressing the coaching.  We run plays and get good shots.  The shots don't fall because most of the players we have can't shoot.  That's not Mullin's fault...I don't think.

The bottom line is for the most part, the team with the better players come out on top.

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »

I think the promise of a 15 win season will keep the Alkins/Makers of the world looking elsewhere.  Everyone pretty knows, I'm no pollyanna...but with the players we've recruited so far along with what we return should bring us at least 20 wins.

Right now, the team has no point guard.  That's like a football team with no quarterback.  Next year, we'll have a decent point guard.

I'm also reading the players who are coming can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit free throws.

I'm up in the air about the coaching.  I don't think we'd have this record if Larry Brown or Bobby Knight were here.  I'm not advocating them, but I'm addressing the coaching.  We run plays and get good shots.  The shots don't fall because most of the players we have can't shoot.  That's not Mullin's fault...I don't think.

The bottom line is for the most part, the team with the better players come out on top.

Would agree a 20 win team would be possible with Alkins & Maker, but I don't expect either.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:16:53 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »

Offensively he definitely has a spot moving forward. His lack of defense however, especially helping against the drive, is often put on display. If he had more of an aggressive and confident demeanor he could really be something. Agree with you pushing the ball up the court, you can see he has the skills but sometimes just seems hesitant to do so and finds himself in trouble. Best passing big on the team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

wpc77

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »

Would agree a 20 win team would be possible with Alkins & Maker, but I don't expect either.

An NIT team is possible with who we have coming in. Which I realize means at least 17 wins.  Guards and wings should be set with LoVett, Ponds, Mussini, Ahmed, Freudenberg.  Real question is whether Owens will be ready to fill gaping need consistent rebounding, and if Yakwe and Sima develop. Most of those frontcourt concerns can be solved by good player development and coaching.  Who's the lead assistant for coaching the bigs?  Slice?

QuanMan

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
Zendon works w the bigs WPC. 
Section 3
Section 116

wpc77

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »

He's the lead for the bigs?

Sweet Jesus.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:53:24 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »

He's the lead for the bigs?

Sweet Jesus.
What's the beef? At minimum he can teach them how to fall down which in today's game is good to draw at least 5 fouls per game.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
Zendon at least engages players on the bench. You can't say that for all the coaches.

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »
Zendon at least engages players on the bench. You can't say that for all the coaches.

Most annoying good player we have ever had. Meaning good player that was frustrating. Maybe a Hamilton thing?
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton