Georgetown game thread

• 54 replies

Poison

Re: Georgetown game thread
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
Zendon at least engages players on the bench. You can't say that for all the coaches.

Most annoying good player we have ever had. Meaning good player that was frustrating. Maybe a Hamilton thing?
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton

Maybe he can teach them how to box out and rebound. He was great at that. Passing out of the double team? Not so much.

derk

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 03:51:32 PM »
Obviously with the quality recruits & guys sitting out, the team will improve. Duh! :D That said, I strongly feel next season will be one with ups & downs. Fifteen wins or so would be a fair expectation in my opinion. The unanswered question is can this staff become proficient  in X&O and game preparation areas? If we give them a pass with current team, it seems fair to judge their results next season.

On the X&O side, assuming St. Jean is the main cog there, I still wonder whether this is a lot to expect from a 23 year old guy without much experience. I had hoped CM would would add a guy with that background to help him get acclimated to coaching. As much as I appreciate having Slice, IMO that is not his forte. Kudos on the recruiting front, but jury is out on coaching in my opinion. Still keeping the faith, but keeping my expectations in some perspective.

I think the promise of a 15 win season will keep the Alkins/Makers of the world looking elsewhere.  Everyone pretty knows, I'm no pollyanna...but with the players we've recruited so far along with what we return should bring us at least 20 wins.

Right now, the team has no point guard.  That's like a football team with no quarterback.  Next year, we'll have a decent point guard.

I'm also reading the players who are coming can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit free throws.

I'm up in the air about the coaching.  I don't think we'd have this record if Larry Brown or Bobby Knight were here.  I'm not advocating them, but I'm addressing the coaching.  We run plays and get good shots.  The shots don't fall because most of the players we have can't shoot.  That's not Mullin's fault...I don't think.

The bottom line is for the most part, the team with the better players come out on top.

Would agree a 20 win team would be possible with Alkins & Maker, but I don't expect either.

How about a 6'8 - 6" 10 , 250 - 270, 3 star power forward / center type. A bruising rebounding maniac type ( Rico Gathers ). I 'd gladly go to war with 1 of those, rather then Alkins and Maker. Anyone on the horizon ? Maybe a JUCO off of Ahmed's team. I'd settle for what Thomas was supposed to be.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:54:16 PM by derk »

Foad

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
Most annoying good player we have ever had. Meaning good player that was frustrating. Maybe a Hamilton thing?
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton

Can we add Mason Junior.

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton

Can we add Mason Junior.

Wasn't criteria good player? He falls just under that for me

Poison

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 05:01:13 PM »
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton

Can we add Mason Junior.

Lamont had a good senior season. Mason's best year, was probably his sophomore year. But after that he just couldn't stay on the court.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
Obviously with the quality recruits & guys sitting out, the team will improve. Duh! :D That said, I strongly feel next season will be one with ups & downs. Fifteen wins or so would be a fair expectation in my opinion. The unanswered question is can this staff become proficient  in X&O and game preparation areas? If we give them a pass with current team, it seems fair to judge their results next season.

On the X&O side, assuming St. Jean is the main cog there, I still wonder whether this is a lot to expect from a 23 year old guy without much experience. I had hoped CM would would add a guy with that background to help him get acclimated to coaching. As much as I appreciate having Slice, IMO that is not his forte. Kudos on the recruiting front, but jury is out on coaching in my opinion. Still keeping the faith, but keeping my expectations in some perspective.

I think the promise of a 15 win season will keep the Alkins/Makers of the world looking elsewhere.  Everyone pretty knows, I'm no pollyanna...but with the players we've recruited so far along with what we return should bring us at least 20 wins.

Right now, the team has no point guard.  That's like a football team with no quarterback.  Next year, we'll have a decent point guard.

I'm also reading the players who are coming can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit shots.  We're missing players who can hit free throws.

I'm up in the air about the coaching.  I don't think we'd have this record if Larry Brown or Bobby Knight were here.  I'm not advocating them, but I'm addressing the coaching.  We run plays and get good shots.  The shots don't fall because most of the players we have can't shoot.  That's not Mullin's fault...I don't think.

The bottom line is for the most part, the team with the better players come out on top.

Would agree a 20 win team would be possible with Alkins & Maker, but I don't expect either.

How about a 6'8 - 6" 10 , 250 - 270, 3 star power forward / center type. A bruising rebounding maniac type ( Rico Gathers ). I 'd gladly go to war with 1 of those, rather then Alkins and Maker. Anyone on the horizon ? Maybe a JUCO off of Ahmed's team. I'd settle for what Thomas was supposed to be.

Ahmed's team is very small...he plays a lot of four for them and appears to be doing well according to stats and articles. Obviously, I am a huge fan of playing stretches with a smaller forward at the four that can hold his own on d and the glass and hurt the opposition more on the other end...so that is good news. RF also figures to play this role so there will be good versatility from those two.

The team really doesn't have that one space eater most fans crave. I've always been partial to the Maryland combo of Baxter and Wilcox...one wide body to box out and own position with a long athletic big to sky in while the other bigs dig in to battle Baxter.

Strength training has really been lacking at St. John's for a long time. Obekpa is the only guy who visibly added muscle from the last squad while there are a half-dozen players on seemingly every other high-major roster that look like they live in the weight room.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »

Ahmed's team is very small...he plays a lot of four for them and appears to be doing well according to stats and articles. Obviously, I am a huge fan of playing stretches with a smaller forward at the four that can hold his own on d and the glass and hurt the opposition more on the other end...so that is good news. RF also figures to play this role so there will be good versatility from those two.

The team really doesn't have that one space eater most fans crave. I've always been partial to the Maryland combo of Baxter and Wilcox...one wide body to box out and own position with a long athletic big to sky in while the other bigs dig in to battle Baxter.

Strength training has really been lacking at St. John's for a long time. Obekpa is the only guy who visibly added muscle from the last squad while there are a half-dozen players on seemingly every other high-major roster that look like they live in the weight room.

Harrison added some muscle, don't ya think?

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »

Harrison added some muscle, don't ya think?

Think Harrison slimmed down throughout his time here.  Branch and Rysheed got bigger I thought.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton

Can we add Mason Junior.

Come on now. Wasn't great but..

JR year BE stats- 15.7 pts 5.1 rbs.  I'd take him over Lamont IMO.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:56:23 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:54 PM »

Actually, we have a distinct chance of getting Alkins.  Not Maker though. But there may be other quality bigs becoming available in the spring.

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »
Oh my god.  Just saw the news about Alkins blocking Zach.  Don't know what to make of the situation now, except it's not good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:48:07 PM by WillieG »

Wods317

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:25 AM »
Oh my god.  Just saw the news about Alkins blocking Zach.  Don't know what to make of the situation now, except it's not good.

Zach doesn't work for St. John's. I doubt it will effect his situation at all.

Foad

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 04:57:27 AM »
1. Zendon Hamilton
2. Robert Werdann
3. Lamont Hamilton

Can we add Mason Junior.

Come on now. Wasn't great but..

JR year BE stats- 15.7 pts 5.1 rbs.  I'd take him over Lamont IMO.

Over four years very close to Werdan statistically and also injury ridden. But he was Norm's so he could not have been good..

Foad

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 05:04:24 AM »
Oh my god.  Just saw the news about Alkins blocking Zach.

Heaven's to Betsy.

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Any right minded person (all except carmine who just wants to give Mullin a lifetime pass even if he goes winless-which is mindless) 

Yes.  That's my position. I like it...and I'm stickin with it.

He's earned it!

If Walter Berry ever becomes the head coach.  I'll afford him the same courtesy.