Team MVP

• 33 replies
Team MVP
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:44:24 AM »
I have to admit this year has been worse than even I could have imagined. Think about it we do not even have a viable team MVP as of now

Moose

Re: Team MVP
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
You're funny
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
You're funny

Wasn't meant to be. Seriously who has been the team MVP so far? If he hadn't gotten hurt Sima for sure. But he missed 7 games and came back rusty and hesitant. Johnson is our best player, but do I really have to list his faults?

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »
St. Jean

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
Think about it even on the terrible Norm teams you had Hill, Hamilton, Mase jr, Kennedy, Burrell. You always knew who your best player was.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
it's gotta be any fan who has gone to all the home games and sat through this crap

QuanMan

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:28:31 AM »
Over the past month it's easily Kassoum. I'd love to see Moose's stats by the month, he's wilted in BE play to no fault of his own.
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
Yakwe and not all that close. He is one of our only good defenders and he has rebounded and scored better then in expected because he is so raw. He is going to be a great player down the line I would think.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Yakwe and not all that close. He is one of our only good defenders and he has rebounded and scored better then in expected because he is so raw. He is going to be a great player down the line I would think.

Though I don't necessarily disagree, just think about who our MVP might be:
6.8 ppg 4.9 rebs 41% fg 53%ft

Wods317

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »

Yea the team severely lacks Big East talent. I think we all know that. The only Big East players we have are raw Freshman like Yakwe, Ellison and Sima. Our go to scorers for next season aren't on this active roster in Lovett, Ponds and Ahmed

Poison

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »

Yea the team severely lacks Big East talent. I think we all know that. The only Big East players we have are raw Freshman like Yakwe, Ellison and Sima. Our go to scorers for next season aren't on this active roster in Lovett, Ponds and Ahmed

Sima hasn't looked like a BE player since he's returned. There's potential, but he needs a lot of work.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Over the past month it's easily Kassoum. I'd love to see Moose's stats by the month, he's wilted in BE play to no fault of his own.

My stats by month are just fine.
Remember who broke the Slice news

derk

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »
The obvious answer is no one. But putting that aside I'd have to say the guy who played out of position all year, showed up every game, got pounded, was overmatched every game, and I'm sure never signed up for this but hung in - Mussini.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 12:35:33 PM »
The obvious answer is no one. But putting that aside I'd have to say the guy who played out of position all year, showed up every game, got pounded, was overmatched every game, and I'm sure never signed up for this but hung in - Mussini.

If he is getting pounded now how will he feel next year when he is being guarded by and not guarding guys that are 3 inches taller and 50 -60 pounds heavier?

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »
Mussini's success next year should be based on people like Lovett and ponds drawing the defense and leaving him open. The height and weight mismatch will always be there.

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »

Sima hasn't looked like a BE player since he's returned. There's potential, but he needs a lot of work.

Agreed but looks like his hand isnt 100% and he missed a good amount of time. He is a Big East quality player i firmly believe but sometimes it takes big men longer to develop. On most teams he would be seeing 10-15 minutes a game. He will be good down the road I think but like yakwe he is very raw.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
By MVP on a team losing this much and this badly i suppose you mean who has contributed the most to us losing. In that regard there are many solid candidates.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »
I love Yakwe long term, but he can't be the MVP when we've lost nearly every game since  he started playing. Syracuse was a clear exception (15 pts and 3 boards) but he only had  2 and 1 in the St. Francis win and 5 and 5 in the Niagara win.

We win when Sima or Mussini play exceptionally well and Johnson has a great game/two other  players strep up offensively.

Without Mussini this team is winless on the season.  We can pick his game apart and highlight his flaws, but there is no other team in the country with lower collective ball handling skill than this team.  And they are as collectivy as unathletic as any team from a major conference.  He is forced to do way too much for a freshman learning the American game.

Wods317

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
I love Yakwe long term, but he can't be the MVP when we've lost nearly every game since  he started playing. Syracuse was a clear exception (15 pts and 3 boards) but he only had  2 and 1 in the St. Francis win and 5 and 5 in the Niagara win.

We win when Sima or Mussini play exceptionally well and Johnson has a great game/two other  players strep up offensively.

Without Mussini this team is winless on the season.  We can pick his game apart and highlight his flaws, but there is no other team in the country with lower collective ball handling skill than this team.  And they are as collectivy as unathletic as any team from a major conference.  He is forced to do way too much for a freshman learning the American game.

Losing these games has nothing to do with him starting to play and everything to do with the quality of the competition. What you said about Mussini you can say about all 4 freshman. All 4 are learning the game and not nearly ready for this much pt. Mussini will be an asset but he just hasn't been very good in quite a while and his defense is not good. Yakwe has been scoring just as much as him of late and is one of the few guys who can play good defense. Im sticking with Yakwe, to be clear I'm a huge fan of Mussini but he's been struggling most of the season.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »

Losing these games has nothing to do with him starting to play and everything to do with the quality of the competition. What you said about Mussini you can say about all 4 freshman. All 4 are learning the game and not nearly ready for this much pt. Mussini will be an asset but he just hasn't been very good in quite a while and his defense is not good. Yakwe has been scoring just as much as him of late and is one of the few guys who can play good defense. Im sticking with Yakwe, to be clear I'm a huge fan of Mussini but he's been struggling most of the season.

Yakwe isn't being overextended like Mussini with no support. He's just asked to do what comes naturally to him:  defend and score.  Don't get me wrong, those are hugely important contributions, but he isn't forced to carry the team or create offense out of thin air, just play hard.   He has also been fortunate to have Sima next to him most games and a relatively decent, albeit also overextended, backup in AA as well as Jones.  Mussini needs  15 pounds of muscle desperately. He also needs an able ball-handler to take some pressure off him and get him some easy shots. None of that is coming this season. I don't see how this team could possibly have played any team to within a single-digit loss without Mussini. We won 4/7 games without Yakwe and 6/7 without him doing much. Pretty crappy grounds for team MVP to be sure, but look at this team.