Transfers & Recruits Visiting SJU

• 278 replies

paultzman

Transfers & Recruits Visiting SJU
« on: April 07, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
Per Zach  B

St John's will be getting visits from sit out transfers Justin Simon and Marvin Clark Jr. Soon I'm told. Others high majors involved. #sjubb

Also st johns expecting a visit soon from four star wing kostas antetokounmpo. #sjubb
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:13:55 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

Re: Transfers Visiting SJU
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »

Per Zach Livingston recruitment "up in the air"

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:50:50 AM »
I would take any of the three and be happy, just would prefer having a ship to work with in 17 class
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
I would take any of the three and be happy, just would prefer having a ship to work with in 17 class

Thanks for sharing Paultzman. Much appreciated.

Clearly Simon looks like the best of the bunch. Not sure about the Michigan State kid, but my guess is that if Izzo thought highly enough of him to have him in the rotation for two years, he's probably pretty good. The question is, is he the kid who plays 15-20 minutes a game for Michigan State, and is clearly a role player, but at STJ, he plays 30-35 minutes a game and his numbers increase significantly? We saw that Durand Johnson wasn't a guy that should have started. He's points off the bench, and meant for 15-18 minutes per game, tops.

Has anyone seen Clark Jr? Have a clear opinion of his game?

Poison

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »

Simon seems like the kind of transfer that will really help get our program where we want it to be.

Livingston's recruit obviously has a big red flag. For all we know he could be in jail for several years. You punch a police officer, that's assault on a police officer. It's not stealing shit from a house party like Aaron Spears did at Illinois.

Hopefully, if Livingston does join the program, news will develop that he was somehow not in the wrong. I think it sends a pretty bad message to everyone that a guy who punched a cop is welcome here, and would in all likelihood be the leader and captain of a young squad.

One of the reasons why the school had significant issues with Jarvis was the character of recruits he was bringing into the program. Lavin didn't bring in criminals. He brought in lazy, entitled punks. This is potentially worse. Much worse.

Re: Transfers & Recruits Visiting SJU
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

Simon seems like the kind of transfer that will really help get our program where we want it to be.

Livingston's recruit obviously has a big red flag. For all we know he could be in jail for several years. You punch a police officer, that's assault on a police officer. It's not stealing shit from a house party like Aaron Spears did at Illinois.

Hopefully, if Livingston does join the program, news will develop that he was somehow not in the wrong. I think it sends a pretty bad message to everyone that a guy who punched a cop is welcome here, and would in all likelihood be the leader and captain of a young squad.

One of the reasons why the school had significant issues with Jarvis was the character of recruits he was bringing into the program. Lavin didn't bring in criminals. He brought in lazy, entitled punks. This is potentially worse. Much worse.

Hopefully Matt sees Simon as our DeAndre Kane

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:13:56 PM »
I personally would take Simon, Kostas and hold on to the last schollie unless something or someone comes open late that is a difference maker.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
I'd take both Simon and Mavin Clark in a heartbeat.  Both very good players that can help us in different ways. 

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
I personally would take Simon, Kostas and hold on to the last schollie unless something or someone comes open late that is a difference maker.
With Livingston unlikely, I agree with you.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »

I think Simon will have to sit out a year, but he will have three years remaining

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »

I think Simon will have to sit out a year, but he will have three years remaining

Yes, but as is the case with any first time transfer, will have the opportunity to play his last year somewhere else.

goredmen

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
Looks like we're in the mix for another guy:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels  2m2 minutes ago Tualatin, OR
UNLV transfer Dwayne Morgan currently has a list of four schools: Clemson, Maryland, VCU and St. Johns

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »
Top 25 in his recruiting class.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »
Top 25 in his recruiting class.

His offensive numbers this season were pretty brutal. Good rebounder though. Would love him if he was a play immediately fifth year transfer but not sure I'm thrilled with this idea since he'd eat a scholarship while sitting out a year

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »
Jeff Borzello notes Morgan expects to visit all four programs.

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »
Love the fact that staff is not putting all eggs in one basket. They have primary targeted guys, but smart to have alternates so to speak.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
Don't like Simon coming if he expects to be a pg,  but absolutely love him if he is willing to come in as a kid that plays the two and three and a little point.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »
Agreed, no more pg's who can't handle the ball. If you watched the national title game the other night, you have to have great ball handling guards who can handle defensive pressure.