Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies

cjfish

Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Good riddance, would probably never qualify anyway.  Get after the Molloy boy Moses Brown.

« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
This is disappointing to say the least. It's sad that it seemed like he was so close to turning his life around.
Yeah, what he go, 9 months between reported felonies?

Marillac

« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
The kid Patton, who just lit us up for 25&9 had one scholarship offer.  There are others like him, Mullin just has to find them.  There are still 4 star big men out there.

Justin Patton was the #24 recruit in the country by Scout and #45 by Rivals. He is arguably the biggest recruit to ever choose Creighton.

Marillac

« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
Unfortunately, we know how his story will likely end up. He now has to prove himself in a JUCO and faces a major uphill climb.

For us, we have clarity on the situation in January instead of the summer. The only thing to do is land a grad transfer with size or (plan b) a JUCO. Our front court situation could very well work itself out with the addition of Clark, 25 pounds on Owens, and the second year versions of RF and Ahmed. BUT we are....

desco80

« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
Unfortunately, we know how his story will likely end up. He now has to prove himself in a JUCO and faces a major uphill climb.

For us, we have clarity on the situation in January instead of the summer. The only thing to do is land a grad transfer with size or (plan b) a JUCO. Our front court situation could very well work itself out with the addition of Clark, 25 pounds on Owens, and the second year versions of RF and Ahmed. BUT we are....

All that, plus maybe a light goes on for Yakwe and things finally start to click for him Jr year.   Stranger things have happened

« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »

All that, plus maybe a light goes on for Yakwe and things finally start to click for him Jr year.   Stranger things have happened

5th year guy
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

redslope

« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2017, 06:13:39 PM »
Rumor has him headed to Florida State or Columbia (Florida State Prison, West Unit or Columbia Correctional Institution)

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
I think it was Felipe Lopez' gear that he helped himself to.

« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2017, 06:30:36 PM »
Watching that video is head scratching....  Idiot.

My guess is he's and his bro have done this more than once or twice.

Good riddance... Would have been a ticking time bomb under our watch.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:31:18 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
The kid Patton, who just lit us up for 25&9 had one scholarship offer.  There are others like him, Mullin just has to find them.  There are still 4 star big men out there.

Was hurt in high school and wanted to stay home. Schools didn't bother but still a top 50 dude
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
So to recap, our lead 2016 big man recruit was a mental patient who punched a cop, and our lead 2017 big man recruit is a chronic criminal with academic issues.  WTF

We are not a top 50 program so we need to take chances on kids that top 25 programs pass up. Don't care if you are Lavin or Mullin we unfortunately need to take some risks when it comes to recruiting. Hopefully the staff has/had a plan B.

Mike Brey, to give one example, has (by and large) been "getting by" without "top 50 program" big men for over a decade.  Without scrapping the barrel with players who have checkered pasts

ND has landed NINE four star ranked kids in past 4 years and has had the same head coach for past 16 years. C'mon lets be realistic here.

I am talking about the big men only, Dave.  Here's who Brey hasnabbed in the past 4 years at the 4/5 (BTW, yes Brey has had very good results and a track record, but also the disadvantages of some of the worst hoops facilities in major conference hoops during his time and a campus in the middle of nowheresville):

Mooney - got him after he decomitted from Florida when Donovan bailed.  He was seen as a 3 star by most people.
Burns - got him over BC, the Hall and Rhody.  He was seen as a 3 star by most people.
Geben - got him over Maryland, Miami.  He was seen as a 3 star by some, 4 by others.
Colson - got him over FSU, Minnesota, Iowa St.  He was seen as a 3 star by most people.
Burgett - got him over Cincy and Iowa.   He was seen as a 3 star by most people.
Torres - got him over Lamar and Navy.  1 star recruit.  Package deal with Demetris Jackson.
Auguste - got him over WVU, GTech, Florida, Marquette. He was seen as a 4 star by most people.

So now you're saying you only need decent bigs when you have great guards?

« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2017, 11:40:17 PM »
So to recap, our lead 2016 big man recruit was a mental patient who punched a cop, and our lead 2017 big man recruit is a chronic criminal with academic issues.  WTF

We are not a top 50 program so we need to take chances on kids that top 25 programs pass up. Don't care if you are Lavin or Mullin we unfortunately need to take some risks when it comes to recruiting. Hopefully the staff has/had a plan B.

Mike Brey, to give one example, has (by and large) been "getting by" without "top 50 program" big men for over a decade.  Without scrapping the barrel with players who have checkered pasts

Been saying this for awhile, recruit smarter kids

I'd 100% recruit a talent like Brown over and over again. The risk was worth the reward. New staff, limited time, this was a must. Almost worked too.

Sure the risk was worth it now, but how about if he committed this or some other crime 2 days before next year starts. And that would always be a possibility with this kid. Can't wait until we get to the point where we don't have to take this big of a chance

Mullin has his demons too. I respect he tried to give a kid a 2nd chance. Vincentian way

« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »
Let me tell you guys a story a former DePaul assistant told me...

They were trying to up the talent and they recruited this prop 48 kid (old term for partial qualifier). Really talented but had some baggage. They stuck with him because the assistant convinced head coach but the kid got in trouble again and never made it.

It was news and DePaul being Catholic school the AD got involved.

The next year a different assistant wanted to go after another prop 48 kid. Swore up and down the kid was a pro and would change the program. The kid was ready to commit. Was on campus waiting to sign but school said can't run the risk of another prop 48 kid. So they had to tell D Wade to take a hike bc school didnt want to take the risk.

From Pelle to Brown I'd take that risk over and over again. Obviously have a backup plan too

goredmen

« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2017, 12:35:45 AM »
Agree with Dave. The risk/reward ratio with a 5 star talent favors taking the shot on him. Unless you are losing out on another 5 or 4 star prospect by tying up that scholarship then it makes sense to take the chance

Poison

« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2017, 01:51:21 AM »
Agree with Dave. The risk/reward ratio with a 5 star talent favors taking the shot on him. Unless you are losing out on another 5 or 4 star prospect by tying up that scholarship then it makes sense to take the chance

No Sima. No Brown. Yakwe has regressed. This team doesn't need a big man. They need three of them.

« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:01 AM »

They were trying to up the talent and they recruited this prop 48 kid (old term for partial qualifier). Really talented but had some baggage. They stuck with him because the assistant convinced head coach but the kid got in trouble again and never made it.

The next year a different assistant wanted to go after another prop 48 kid. Swore up and down the kid was a pro and would change the program. The kid was ready to commit. Was on campus waiting to sign but school said can't run the risk of another prop 48 kid. So they had to tell D Wade to take a hike bc school didnt want to take the risk.

From Pelle to Brown I'd take that risk over and over again. Obviously have a backup plan too

I use to tell folks Lavin went after folks like Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett because they were talented, and he wanted to immediately jumpstart the program.  Some people don't realize how tough a job St. John's is although we can still garner decent talent.  Several folks wanted to chastise him for doing so. 

Mullin is doing the same as Lavin.  It's worth the risk, and if it doesn't work out, then you (of, course) move on.  The staff is now on Walker, and I'm sure they'll scour the JUCO ranks or 5th year transfer.  They also better learn how to do another thing or two, but that's for another thread. 

« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:34 AM »

No Sima. No Brown. Yakwe has regressed. This team doesn't need a big man. They need three of them.

Yakwe hasn't regressed. Just lost all confidence. Simply needs to get his motor back.

« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »

Slice's fault

That´s unfair to Matt A. Although I agree to you that Slice´s loss is bigger than many fans say.

Poison

« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »

I use to tell folks Lavin went after folks like Pelle, Sampson, and Garrett because they were talented, and he wanted to immediately jumpstart the program.  Some people don't realize how tough a job St. John's is although we can still garner decent talent.  Several folks wanted to chastise him for doing so. 

Mullin is doing the same as Lavin.  It's worth the risk, and if it doesn't work out, then you (of, course) move on.  The staff is now on Walker, and I'm sure they'll scour the JUCO ranks or 5th year transfer.  They also better learn how to do another thing or two, but that's for another thread. 

Mullin's staff recruited an actual criminal. Lavin recruited some lazy kids. What Pelle did was on Pelle. What Mullin did was on him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:07:53 AM by Poison »

« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »

Mullin's staff recruited an actual criminal. Lavin recruited some lazy kids. What Pelle did was on Pelle. What Mullin did was on him.

Rysheed Jordan.