Slice Officially Out

• 35 replies

paultzman

Slice Officially Out
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »
Braziller – Verified account ‏@NYPost_Brazille

Barry "Slice" Rohrssen is officially out at St John's, per school official. Third assistant is likely Mitch Richmond, I've been told. #sjubb
8:11 AM - 1 S

Re: Slice Officially Out
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
the fat lady has sung. " pass the cannoli"

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
Don't let the door hit him on the way out.

I hope they made him sign something preventing him to go to another school until the years of the buyout is expired.

If not it seems like he received all this money for one recruit Durrand Johnson.

Give Matt the salary they were paying Slice at least he is working hard for the money

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »

I hope they made him sign something preventing him to go to another school until the years of the buyout is expired.

If not it seems like he received all this money for one recruit Durrand Johnson.

Give Matt the salary they were paying Slice at least he is working hard for the money

Slice brought in the teams leading scorer

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »

Tallest midget

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
That was done on his first week here the ink of the contract wasn't even dry yet.

The biggest waste of money ever spent.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »

Tallest midget

Agreed. The next tallest midget was Mussini, who Mullin brought in. Then Ron

Foad

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »

Tallest midget

Agreed. The next tallest midget was Mussini, who Mullin brought in. Then Ron

According to Steve Lavin Mussini was Steve Lavin's recruit. Until he stunk obviously.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
Per Dickie V:

A bad move by @StJohnsBBall @NYPost_Brazille A turnover by Mullin / Slice is so well liked in hoops via @NYPost

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »

Slice was the teams leading "scorer" . Gets paid for doing zip.

ras

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »
I really don't know what happened. But it probably had to be pretty bad for SJU to release Slice and still be on the hook for a massive payout, especially since Slice is so well liked. That said, we are getting more than our money's worth w Matt.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
He might be well-liked but he did nothing for SJU except collect a salary for doing nothing.

He made Lavin recruiters look like hard workers.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
Slice didn't like the fact Matt out worked and out recruited him, so he got pissy and left? Am I missing something else? 

Regardless, after one year,  if there is only room for one of these lead recruiters, St John's is left with the better option..

Poison

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
Slice didn't like the fact Matt out worked and out recruited him, so he got pissy and left? Am I missing something else? 

Regardless, after one year,  if there is only room for one of these lead recruiters, St John's is left with the better option..

Coffee is for closers.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »

Coffee is for closers

If nothing else hiring BR showed the college BB world that Mullin and SJU were once again players on the big stage. Other than hiring Norm Roberts or Rick Pitino's pimp or Johnnie Clamchowder's bag man the administration could not have shown how serious they were about basketball. Money well spent and #$%^ Dick Vitale.

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »
True, F Dick Vitale.

Matty A represents the Changing of the Guard. Hope he gets a raise, gets some of the Slice money.

Slice had a hissy fit on the playground, took his ball and went home. Chris said from day 1, we only want people who want to be here.

ras

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 07:06:45 PM »
He might be well-liked but he did nothing for SJU except collect a salary for doing nothing.

He made Lavin recruiters look like hard workers.
The sad thing is, he still is collecting a salary for doing nothing. But I will admit if you look at the players Matt recruited and compare them to who Slice recruited ,its no contest . I dont agree w fun. Slice was just a bad hire, looking back in retrospect.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:09:19 PM by ras »

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 11:28:24 PM »
Lurker here,

I want to propose a TV movie-like scenario of what led to Slice's departure...

Once upon a time, Chris calls up his good friend Barry and says, "come with me. I'm going to be the new head coach at St. John's.  We'll recruit together, coach together, and make a tournament team.  It'll be great.  Just like old times!"

But then, Chris hired Mitch as his special assistant.  Barry loses Chris' ear to Mitch because Mitch turns out to be a very capable.  Chris and Mitch work very well together creating player development programs.  These programs are very persuasive in recruiting players, but this wasn't Slice's strong suit.  Slice sulks and further loses Chris' ear.  And then Matt is locking down players, where Slice isn't.  Barry sulks some more. And then either side couldn't take it anymore. 

And here we are.

This may be pure fiction, but this could very well have happened.

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 11:42:19 PM »
What place did St John's finish in last year? What place is St Johns picked to finish this year? I'm not sure anyone deserves any praise. Not yet

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »
Lurker here,

I want to propose a TV movie-like scenario of what led to Slice's departure...

Once upon a time, Chris calls up his good friend Barry and says, "come with me. I'm going to be the new head coach at St. John's.  We'll recruit together, coach together, and make a tournament team.  It'll be great.  Just like old times!"

But then, Chris hired Mitch as his special assistant.  Barry loses Chris' ear to Mitch because Mitch turns out to be a very capable.  Chris and Mitch work very well together creating player development programs.  These programs are very persuasive in recruiting players, but this wasn't Slice's strong suit.  Slice sulks and further loses Chris' ear.  And then Matt is locking down players, where Slice isn't.  Barry sulks some more. And then either side couldn't take it anymore. 

And here we are.

This may be pure fiction, but this could very well have happened.
I don't think Slice had a problem with Mitch. Or at least that wasn't his main problem