Xavier

• 159 replies

Johnny23

Re: Xavier
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »
I hear it all the time that I'm too critical, and cynical, and angry at St. John's - but how can any sane St. John's fan not be pissed off watching the way they play. The effort, the turnovers, the gameplay...when are we allowed to get angry and not fall back on the "2nd year coach, or young team" excuses. This kind of basketball is just infuriating to watch - there's something broken and it needs fixing.

Very frustrating indeed.

paultzman

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »
Hard to put  points on board with essentially three scorers, two freshman & Ahmed, who has been poor lately. The defense is unfortunately another sad story.

Johnny23

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Well Lovett came to play today, not sure about the rest of the team though.

Like I said, their guards are just too much for us to handle, mainly Sumner who's driving at will.

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
Hard to put  points on board with essentially three scorers, two freshman & Ahmed, who has been poor lately. The defense is unfortunately another sad story.

ok - that's fine - but someone has to be held accountable for that - and it shouldn't be the fan base being told to just shut up and take it

Johnny23

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
Ponds having a rough afternoon.

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »
Outclassed, but a couple of strange lineups out there in first half. Playing the three "Euros" together was nutty.

Johnny23

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
The turnovers and the forced drives by the young guards today have been murder.

desco80

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
I thought we could shoot 3s?

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
Outclassed, but a couple of strange lineups out there in first half. Playing the three "Euros" together was nutty.

Back out there now. It's awful.

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »
I hear it all the time that I'm too critical, and cynical, and angry at St. John's - but how can any sane St. John's fan not be pissed off watching the way they play. The effort, the turnovers, the gameplay...when are we allowed to get angry and not fall back on the "2nd year coach, or young team" excuses. This kind of basketball is just infuriating to watch - there's something broken and it needs fixing.

Granted, this stuff doesn't affect me in a particular manner anymore, but I definitely understand what you're saying. 

It's bad basketball, and this is why I said, we need to be making strides the rest of the season.  The first half against Creighton and today's game (which, I turned the channel late in the first half) makes you wonder if we've reverted back to the crap that dug us into this hole, record-wise.

A fellow Johnnies fan text me right around the time I changed the channel, and I believe he changed the channel early in the 2nd half.

IMO, we should be, at least, a bubble NCAA Tournament team next season.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:14:09 PM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
We are still missing a few bigs which is certainly hurting us.  We have no center nor any real PF's.  It's apparent, as dealing with Xavier's frontcourt as well as an excellent backcourt is tough.  Defense still the main problem today though.

Johnny23

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »

Granted, this stuff doesn't affect me in a particular manner anymore, but I definitely understand where you're saying. 

It's bad basketball, and this is why I said, we need to be making strides the rest of the season.  The first half against Creighton and today's game (which, I turned the channel late in the first half) makes you wonder if we've reverted back to the crap that dug us into this hole, record-wide.

A fellow Johnnies fan text me right around the time I changed the channel, and I believe he changed the channel early in the 2nd half.

We should be and if we are not then the coaching will be heavily scrutinized and rightly so.

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2017, 04:07:07 PM »
Can't play better teams with two scorers. No Ahmed lately makes it impossible. The defense is an obvious disaster.

TONYD3

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »

Granted, this stuff doesn't affect me in a particular manner anymore, but I definitely understand where you're saying. 

It's bad basketball, and this is why I said, we need to be making strides the rest of the season.  The first half against Creighton and today's game (which, I turned the channel late in the first half) makes you wonder if we've reverted back to the crap that dug us into this hole, record-wide.

I don't think we have reverted to anything. We have played way to many games like this. Something is broken.

cjfish

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »
Our frontcourt is pitiful, Ahmed is the only scorer and he s inconsistent.  Nice game for Mussini, completely useless

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »

Understandable.  But, it's just the overall style of play.  If we're cold on offense, then watch out!  Our defense stinks, so when we get down by too much, we're more than likely done for that particular game.  We may make a run, but we won't be able to finish off the run because we won't be able to make important stops to finish off said run.

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »

Understandable.  But, it's just the overall style of play.  If we're cold on offense, then watch out!  Our defense stinks, so when we get down by too much, we're more than likely done for that particular game.  We may make a run, but we won't be able to finish off the run because we won't be able to make important stops to finish off said run.

Totally agree

desco80

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »
Our only defense is the other team turning cold and settling for long jumpers that they miss.
If that doesn't happen... we lose.

desco80

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »
Frustrating.  But that's what young teams are.
Patience is still warranted. 

Johnny23

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
Lovett is going to put up 35+ today. Book it.