Hofstra Scrimmage?

• 28 replies

QuanMan

Re: Hofstra Scrimmage?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »
Hopefully both Justin and Marv redeliver Wednesday night, I tend to think that they will. Any word on who was in the starting lineup yesterday?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:45:44 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
After hearing we beat lowly Hofstra by a whopping 13 points I hear that Duke is trying to cancel their game with us. Now I know you can't read to much into the results of this scrimmage but reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like we are final 4 bound. Sorry to be Debbie Downer or Negative Nancy but if the 2 new guys played well added to what we have returning shouldn't we beat Hofstra by more than 13 points?
It's progress Celts...last year we lost by 15 or so to URI...take whatever we can get...lol

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
I'd like to know whether the score was 113-100  or 63-50.  It makes a difference.

Foad

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
After hearing we beat lowly Hofstra by a whopping 13 points I hear that Duke is trying to cancel their game with us. Now I know you can't read to much into the results of this scrimmage but reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like we are final 4 bound. Sorry to be Debbie Downer or Negative Nancy but if the 2 new guys played well added to what we have returning shouldn't we beat Hofstra by more than 13 points?

Who'd you expect us to beat by 13 yesterday?

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »
Wods 317 is spot on. The purpose of a scrimmage is not to blow the opposing team out. But to experiment w lineups. We have been debating how much time should Simon spend handling the ball. This is the time to find out. It is also the time to put the newcomers in and see what they have in a game situation.  It also is an opportunity to work on weaknesses.
Is it just St. John's that experiments with line-ups, work on weaknesses and have newcomers to work into the playing rotation or are other teams in the same boat? Do other teams not improve as the season goes on? Sorry but if we are a bubble team I am not going to get excited by a 13 point advantage over Hofstra. Wasn't last years Rhoddy team an NCAA team?

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
Wods 317 is spot on. The purpose of a scrimmage is not to blow the opposing team out. But to experiment w lineups. We have been debating how much time should Simon spend handling the ball. This is the time to find out. It is also the time to put the newcomers in and see what they have in a game situation.  It also is an opportunity to work on weaknesses.
Is it just St. John's that experiments with line-ups, work on weaknesses and have newcomers to work into the playing rotation or are other teams in the same boat? Do other teams not improve as the season goes on? Sorry but if we are a bubble team I am not going to get excited by a 13 point advantage over Hofstra. Wasn't last years Rhoddy team an NCAA team?
Hofstra is ranked 120 on KenPom (dePaul is 119). They aren't bad. 13 point road win would cover the spread if it was a real game.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »

You don't have to get excited to be pleased with where the team is at early on. Hofstra is a decent team and we won by a convincing margin on the road with two new starters -- who combined for 34 pts and 13 rebounds. We should beat Rutgers on the road as well. Hopefully this continues.

ras

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 06:59:50 PM »
No it’s not just SJU. Like I said, that is the purpose of a scrimmage. The score is meaningless. Especially in a closed scrimmage.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »
No it’s not just SJU. Like I said, that is the purpose of a scrimmage. The score is meaningless. Especially in a closed scrimmage.

The score is never meaningless.