J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High)

• 305 replies

Wods317

Re: J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High) - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »
Tough loss but if he as having second thoughts I would rather him back out now so we can recruit his replacement. It’s hard for these kids with so many people in their ear. From social media he seems to be very close to his family so maybe he really didn’t want to move across the country. Top 100 bigs are hard to replace but gota move on to the next.

« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
That hurts a little.  Now you know why GSJ went out to Cali, going to be hard but they are going to put in the work to try convince Brown to come 3K miles.

Could really use an impact big.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »
Never a dull moment with this program....

« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Find a grad transfer. Don’t find myself to upset about it for what ever reason.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »
I agree with you.  While I would have loved to have Brooks, given his recent decision...I hope we go grad transfer route. 

If we can get a forward / center who can shoot a bit, our roster next year would be dangerous!

« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »

Although, losing Brooks somewhat stings....  I'm with you, 'mase.  I'm not sweating it.  Go find a PF/"big" in grad transfer market (and, I mean REALLY find one this time around), and I'd also scour the JUCO ranks (whether, it's for a big or a guard/swingman).

If we can do those things, then it'll minimize on losing Brooks.

« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »

Easier said than done.  You need to find someone who can make an impact.  If it were that easy then everyone would do it.

Bottom line is Jordan Brown is a longshot but the staff is going after him with the intent on trying to land him.  The reason, Jordan Brown's don't grow on trees.  He is most certainly better than any late JUCO, High School or Grad transfer you may try to land.

ras

« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Although I really wanted him. Can’t say I’m surprised. If we can keep our core next year, my cup is full. Players will decommit from other schools or there may be a JUCO big out there. Retain our players, especially Ponds, add Dixon,Williams and Keita and we will be in good shape. Take a couple of pounds off Trimble ,w this years exp and he will be a nice contributor. That said, you never know what attrition we could have.

« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »

After Jordan and Lovett, personally I would like a break from flaky recruits. Would have liked for him to come but I am guessing we would have had daily drama with him.

Wods317

« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »

Easier said than done.  You need to find someone who can make an impact.  If it were that easy then everyone would do it.

Bottom line is Jordan Brown is a longshot but the staff is going after him with the intent on trying to land him.  The reason, Jordan Brown's don't grow on trees.  He is most certainly better than any late JUCO, High School or Grad transfer you may try to land.

Obviously the others schools involved may have more to offer but Brown would have the ability next year to play with a veteran team with two elite guards in Ponds and Simon. He would also have help in from court with Owens and Clark who I hope and think will be back. Would be a great situation for a talented freshman to play with a veteran group. This coming from a very biased person though obviously.

paultzman

« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »

Obviously the others schools involved may have more to offer but Brown would have the ability next year to play with a veteran team with two elite guards in Ponds and Simon. He would also have help in from court with Owens and Clark who I hope and think will be back. Would be a great situation for a talented freshman to play with a veteran group. This coming from a very biased person though obviously.

Just don't bet on it :)

« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »

It's a longshot.  My point is if people think it is just easy to find a low post impact presence this late by picking up the phone or by cruising the JUCO Yellow Pages then the staff would be doing that as opposed to schlepping out to Cali to visit a top 15 recruit who is a bit of a longshot.  By going to Cali the staff understand the importance and difficulty they will have replacing Brooks as an incoming recruit.

Wods317

« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »

Just don't bet on it :)

Haha I won’t. I realize chances are very slim.

Marillac

« Reply #293 on: February 15, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
This is exactly why you can't have a two year plan. Brooks was a good addition and would have helped immediately. At this point let's retain Owens and Clark (make them captains too) and try to add a PG and a 5th year grad transfer big.

I'd ask Yakwe to redshirt as well to soften the blow of losing Clark and Owens. If he is unwilling or wants to transfer sign the kid from Bosco.

ras

« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
This is exactly why you can't have a two year plan. Brooks was a good addition and would have helped immediately. At this point let's retain Owens and Clark (make them captains too) and try to add a PG and a 5th year grad transfer big.

I'd ask Yakwe to redshirt as well to soften the blow of losing Clark and Owens. If he is unwilling or wants to transfer sign the kid from Bosco.
Is rather get a transfer than have Yakwe redshirt. What’s going to make or break us is retention of our players. Loosing Brooks is a bummer, but if we also loose Owens or Clark due to transfer, that would be a real hit. I don’t even want to think about your favorite player getting drafted to the NBA this year.

Dan

« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
He apparently just realized St John's wasn't in Seattle.

Excuses.

The excuses are so pathetic, really.

Don't commit if it means nothing.

« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »
I'm not devastated considering a guy rated in the 80s is not the "program changer" some pegged him as but the bottom line is we currently have a team 1 game above 500 with a coach many thinK isn't a tremendous tactician and a very sub par recruiting class coming in with the possibility of some key cogs leaving via draft or transfer. I'm very proud of the current run we're on and would absolutely love to see this team in any type of post season play but please forgive me for not doing backflips about the future trajectory of this program.

« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
Red flags everywhere. Good riddance

wpc77

« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:03 PM »
Red flags everywhere. Good riddance

Another Cross dresser? Whoops, thought u said red heels

« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
With the FBI about to pounce, the big baller league should have some talent