Trust the Process

• 258 replies
Re: Trust the Process
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2018, 12:28:21 AM »
If Johnny jungle didn’t exist and fans just watched Basketball and read the sports page Steve Lavin would still be coach and most fans would have been happy. I am sure their was some non sense. But many of your recollections are just so off. Do you guys remember Dwight hardy? Dom and Harrison’s 4 years were at times disappointing. But for 4 years we beat some good teams. The garden had some decent crowds and most wore read and went home happy. After 5 years, the fan base had enough of that. And then he was fired. The program left even worse then when he got here.
These 3 years have been awful. Never had to happen. What is worse is that same fan base who watched us get killed under norm Roberts seems happier. Lifetime contracts. Trust the process.

If anyone watched St. John’s games without knowing we had a famous coach they would know we don’t play defense . That is not an opinion- this team gives up 80,90, 100 points like it is the game plan.
 We take bad shots- bad shooters shoot whenever and wherever they want. We don’t rebound- we don’t box out- last game was by 20. We’re they so big?
If we fix those 3 things we can compete. I don’t believe we will. Because I don’t trust the process.
Every wide open shot Ahmed gives and opponent , every missed dunk in warmups( yes that matters), any terrible 3 pointer taken by a player who has no business taking one, any time we give up 90 in a game make me trust that their is no process.

Do you remember how we started BE seasons with Lav? Speaking of recollections and all
Why can't they both suck?

Because they both don’t suck. Lavin recruited better players, and he won more games. Maybe they were right to move on but hiring a coach with zero experience who clearly doesn’t think that matters was an error in judgement which was consistent with the St.John’s braintrust.

Anyone who loves Mullin enough to accept a shittier coaching performance than Norm Roberts can go F themselves. He puts together another season like he did last year, he can go take a hike
Recruiting is the life blood of college sports. The anti lav folks completely gloss over the fact that six of the eight highest rated sju recruits of the last 15 years were lavin recruits.
Yes he started off doing a great job recruiting the problem is he stopped in favor of European vacations and the banquet circuit.
Yeah I'm sure it didn't take any effort at all to land Sampson and have us in the mix for diallo and briscoe despite being a lame duck.
We still would have sucked. Even if he got all 3, Sampson nothing as a freshmen at LSU, Diallo barely got off bench albeit at Kansas who had to fight NCAA with heavy legal action to get him eligible after 7 games something we couldn't afford to do, and Briscoe overrated who couldn't shoot nor play the point. Lavin so great a coach he has been a talking head for the last 3 seasons.

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2018, 12:33:47 AM »
Wonder how proactive Mullin is about seeking input, advice etc from outside (beyond Louie) or receptive to hearing what he might see but not be addressing correctly.....or might he be too proud to say some of this is on him..

The only thing that bothers me is his continued tolerance of sloppy play, bad shot selection etc.. how hard is that to require no jacking up 40 ft 3 pt shots at start of shot clock, or wild drive layup tosses.

I do believe Richmond needs to go and get some experience in his place. I'd hang on to St. Jean just because he seems like a workhorse and could be a successor if this program miraculously turns around like original vision calls for. Still, I could see St.Jean moving to some NBA role.

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »
Wonder how proactive Mullin is about seeking input, advice etc from outside (beyond Louie) or receptive to hearing what he might see but not be addressing correctly.....or might he be too proud to say some of this is on him..

The only thing that bothers me is his continued tolerance of sloppy play, bad shot selection etc.. how hard is that to require no jacking up 40 ft 3 pt shots at start of shot clock, or wild drive layup tosses.

I do believe Richmond needs to go and get some experience in his place. I'd hang on to St. Jean just because he seems like a workhorse and could be a successor if this program miraculously turns around like original vision calls for. Still, I could see St.Jean moving to some NBA role.
What's the reasoning behind Richmond having an official assistant position opposed to him being in the special advisor role he had when slice was here?? Is he making more $ as an actual assistant. I would much rather see an experienced xs and os guy there to help make up for the experience Mullin is sorely missing.

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2018, 12:44:13 AM »
No idea if Richmond got a salary bump, but they had to play musical chairs, since they were not in a $$ position to hire another body as AC, along w/ Slice salary and also keep Richmond in advisor role....Probably also thought it would help recruiting effort.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:45:07 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2018, 01:40:39 AM »
Everyone needs to calm down and admit that everyone on this board have overstated the talent on this team.  Even with Lovett we are a bottom level team.   We have nobody who can compete under the basket with the likes of Maric, Govan, Delgado etc.   Yakwe is a stiff, Owens  is not strong enough and lacks the will to battle and we have seen enough of Clark to understand that he has value as a shooter but he has no intention to be a battler underneath the basket.  It is easy to blame the coach, but let's be serious, these are not the horses needed to pull this cart into the big dance.  Ponds has been exposed as a point guard without Lovett and he is obviously feeling the pressure.  I think we can all agree that Ahmed is not a big time player.  Mullin without a doubt is not a coaching genius, but he has improved and will continue to improve hopefully.  Now the good news.... They have set the program up in year four to be very well balanced and coachable. Unless Ponds loses his mind he will be back with Mickey Dixon and Greg Williams and perhaps Lovett. That is a very good guard rotation that will have beef under the boards with Keita, Brooks and Roberts.  Owens, Clark and Simon can do what they do best without the expectation of playing like Moses Malone.   Yakwe and Trimble will never see the hardwood and Diakite can enjoy a year to ease back into playing shape with no expectation to produce.

Mullin (Matt) has done a fine job of setting this team up in year four, now he needs to show that he can coach a balanced team next year or the heat will be deserved......but he needs to be cut some slack this year.  He has to improve his coaching IQ but after watching every game nobody can convince me that our team is better without Lovett than Providence, Creighton, Seton Hall or even DePaul who has a balanced lineup.  If you can not admit that to yourself you have drank some coolaid.  Don't worry, they can go from worst to first next year.  Keep the faith.

Johnny23

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2018, 07:25:25 AM »
Clearly some here just don't get it. This team has plenty of talent. However the coaching and depth are non-existent. This team was a few minutes away from beating three top 25 teams in ASU, SHU and Creighton. They did that on sheer athleticism. Add in some strong in-game coaching and they'd probably be 2-1 in these 3 games.

It won't surprise me if the Johnnies still shock a few teams during BE play and pull an upset in the BE tourney. Again their talent level is top half of the conference good. And then some posters here will start chiming in and saying "see I told you so, the coaching staff is getting better." No! That's the problem. This staff has fatal flaws that need to be addressed with better assistants.

paultzman

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »
Sense an assistant staff change will occur for next season, incorporating a guy with college experience.

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
Sense an assistant staff change will occur for next season, incorporating a guy with college experience.

Again I not sure what you can do with 5 players. Being outmanned and playing well enough to lose close games takes a toll. I was worried team would get frustrated and quit and that seems to be the case. People can talk about playing zone and better offensive sets but the main problem this year was the roster imbalance. You want to put all your eggs in the transfer basket and you are one injury away from a 2-16 BE season. Yes I am confident we will find a way to win 2 games.

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
Is it true, guys were laughing on bench at end of game?  If true, Mullin better send a message tomorrow that this season is on brink of spiraling out of control. And guys better look st themselves in mirror.

Lovett

paultzman

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »

Again I not sure what you can do with 5 players. Being outmanned and playing well enough to lose close games takes a toll. I was worried team would get frustrated and quit and that seems to be the case. People can talk about playing zone and better offensive sets but the main problem this year was the roster imbalance. You want to put all your eggs in the transfer basket and you are one injury away from a 2-16 BE season. Yes I am confident we will find a way to win 2 games.

Agree, adding an experienced assistant coach for next year may help going forward, but this year is all about short roster.

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
The fact that Mullin has to be dragged kicking and screaming in year four to make a change says something about the Golden Boy. Saying this year is all about depth is BS if you can not see the short comings on what is going on out on the court. Sure we will be better with more depth and better talent but we will always be deficient and lacking in coaching unless Mo turns team over to an assistant who a good basketball coach. Mullin only good as a figure head and there have been plenty of successful head coaches that owe much to that valuable trusted assistants.

Poison

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »
The fact that Mullin has to be dragged kicking and screaming in year four to make a change says something about the Golden Boy. Saying this year is all about depth is BS if you can not see the short comings on what is going on out on the court. Sure we will be better with more depth and better talent but we will always be deficient and lacking in coaching unless Mo turns team over to an assistant who a good basketball coach. Mullin only good as a figure head and there have been plenty of successful head coaches that owe much to that valuable trusted assistants.

Is it possible that he’s as smart as he sounds?

TONYD3

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »
When you have a short bench the coach needs to do help the problem. Why do we play so fast? Why don’t we play zone? It’s not like our man defense is good.
Jarvis the year after artest left had 6/7 guys. After those 6/7 it was heath orvis. He played zone for much of the 1st half . That team wasn’t big either. Still they rebounded.
This current pace can be sustained if you 7/8 guys that are really good shooters and really athletic.
How many of our missed 3’s turn into easy baskets for the other team?
Villanova - big east tournament- we earned no fouls until after half. Never heard of that before. We almost did it again yesterday. 1st foul was called on depaul at the 16 minute mark. That is not bad luck. That is on the soft style of play.

Short bench- timeouts- can also be used as rest. Does coach Mullin do this? No! If their was a plan- take the first timeout at the 10 minute mark of every game. He almost always saves his first until the last minute of the half. Sometimes he loses the timeout. Second half- game ended with 2 timeouts left- 2 opportunities to give rest or instruction lost. That is the norm. Happens often.

goredmen

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »

SMU went 30-5 last year and basically only had 6 guys

Johnny23

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
Depth is the secondary issue here. Coaching is front and center.

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
Depth isn't a secondary issue when Amar is playing 10+ minutes two games in a row.

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »

SMU went 30-5 last year and basically only had 6 guys

Yep. And most importantly, none of those 6 guys missed time. One guy missed 1 game.

TONYD3

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2018, 11:39:27 AM »
Depth isn't a secondary issue when Amar is playing 10+ minutes two games in a row.
We didn’t get blown out yesterday at home because of Amar.

Johnny23

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »

This x1000

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »

This x1000

And I'm not saying we did because of Amar, although he was easily the worst player on the court. But depth isn't a secondary issue this season. Depth and subpar coaching can both coexist has the biggest issues of the season.