The Perfect Coach for ST John's

• 186 replies
Re: The Perfect Coach for ST John's
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
The only way you bring this staff back for another year is if you think they can do well and compete. I can not see how anyone in their right mind believes that. Nothing they have done has warranted another year. The longer this experiment goes on. The more embarrassing it becomes.
Playing devils advocate here and keep in mind I'm one of the unhappy ones. BUT would you say last year was on ok year ? Not great year and not horrible year ?

So while not throwing out this year from our memory but if we have a chance of having fuller and potentially better and more experienced roster next year and let's assume chance Mullin learns from mistakes of this year and grows from it dont we at least give the homegrown Hall of fame player the chance to coach that 4th year with full team and see what happens after all we have been through as fans over the last 20 years ?

What IF next year everyone came back and it became that breakthrough year ( I'm not saying it will be but what if there was a chance ) and if we hit our stride next year and we have a home grown Hall of Fame player coaching our team

I'll take the chance on that 4th year instead of blowing everything up and starting over knowing we have well over 3 million a year already committed for 3 more years and pray he gets it right

The big IF, is everyone comes back, which has not happened yet. He’s going to get another year, but I’m going to wait to see what happens this offseason, because based on Mullins in season results, it’s the only positive action he had had.

Foad

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
One player shouldn’t determine this decision.

What makes you think anyone's making a decision?  Unless by decision you mean the fever dreams of the perpetually disgruntled.

Even if anyone were considering making a coaching change, and no one is, do you think the university can afford Slice's contract and Mullin's buy out and the cost of a new coach and the loss of revenue from big donors who are willing to support their childhood idol Chris Mullin but not the great Will Brown? I Don't. I think though they can absorb the loss of concession stand revenue from 11 people who won't renew their season tickets next year to protest this year's results.

TONYD3

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
The only way you bring this staff back for another year is if you think they can do well and compete. I can not see how anyone in their right mind believes that. Nothing they have done has warranted another year. The longer this experiment goes on. The more embarrassing it becomes.
Playing devils advocate here and keep in mind I'm one of the unhappy ones. BUT would you say last year was on ok year ? Not great year and not horrible year ?

So while not throwing out this year from our memory but if we have a chance of having fuller and potentially better and more experienced roster next year and let's assume chance Mullin learns from mistakes of this year and grows from it dont we at least give the homegrown Hall of fame player the chance to coach that 4th year with full team and see what happens after all we have been through as fans over the last 20 years ?

What IF next year everyone came back and it became that breakthrough year ( I'm not saying it will be but what if there was a chance ) and if we hit our stride next year and we have a home grown Hall of Fame player coaching our team

I'll take the chance on that 4th year instead of blowing everything up and starting over knowing we have well over 3 million a year already committed for 3 more years and pray he gets it right

The big IF, is everyone comes back, which has not happened yet. He’s going to get another year, but I’m going to wait to see what happens this offseason, because based on Mullins in season results, it’s the only positive action he had had.
It’s going to get worse this year. I don’t believe we ever see that team we have right now on paper. Best case he quits.

Foad

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »

It’s going to get worse this year. I don’t believe we ever see that team we have right now on paper. Best case he quits.

Don't be such a pessimist. Maybe he'll get prostate cancer.

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
Add a PG and retain all the seniors plus key recruits and we'll be fine next year. I'd make all three seniors captains.
Agree trust the process

The process didn't include having Mussini go pro and Lovett holding the program hostage. You can ding staff for not recruiting a complete roster for this year but nobody could win with this group. I called it on the summer. "What happens if Ponds sprains an ankle. Does the season just end?"

It was Lovet, but yes it does just end.
Not going to argue. But if you think a 6 foot guard with no athleticism and no PG skills would help I disagree. Him being recruited in the first place was a mistake first by Lavin then by Mullin. As was the German .
I don’t follow recuiting as much some of you. All I know is in high profile job you can’t keep making mistakes and keep a job. Huge mistakes and incompetence what this staff is about.
I assume you mean ok is winning 18 games next year and making the NIT. First off that isn’t good enough. Second - and most importantly not going to happen. Can’t win without a coach

Simple math. Guy was averaging 14 points a game. Other guys like Ahmed and Owens had to try and make up for some of that and are not equipped to. Use whatever revisionist history you want but losing your 2nd best player hurts.
Especially when we have no bench.    I agree posters are entitled to their opinion. But some just repeat themselves over and over again. It gets boring.       This may be the most frustrating year for me as a fan. And that’s saying a lot. We were so close in so many games, even against great teams like Nova and Xavier on the road. We gave away the GT game.  I think you have to give Mullin another year. But what really worries me is we have to retain Ponds and Owens and we need Brooks, a true inside player. We also need to upgrade staff. .. It wasn’t just the Lovett loss that hurt, but the mass exodus of players last year. Another year of Exodus and all is lost.

Brooks is not a true inside player. Reminds me of Kelan Martin.

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2018, 04:31:30 PM »

What makes you think anyone's making a decision?  Unless by decision you mean the fever dreams of the perpetually disgruntled.

Even if anyone were considering making a coaching change, and no one is, do you think the university can afford Slice's contract and Mullin's buy out and the cost of a new coach and the loss of revenue from big donors who are willing to support their childhood idol Chris Mullin but not the great Will Brown? I Don't. I think though they can absorb the loss of concession stand revenue from 11 people who won't renew their season tickets next year to protest this year's results.
Hey foady,
Figured you were going to concede or banish yourself. 8- almost 40

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »

Do you think he should quit? Man I never would have guessed that.

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »

If he quits maybe the hire dick Vitale? He is probably 80. What do you think?

Foad

« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »

Hey foady,

Concede what stupid, I've suffered through much worse than this. The fact that you're gloating after watching those poor kids lose the way they did yesterday comprises Olympic gold medal faaggottry. Maybe if you didn't post so much from the toilet less of your output would be shit posts. Just a thought.

<Take that auto censor>
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:52:51 PM by Foad »

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
At this point, I am not even concerned about wins and loses.  Whether he wins, 0 games or 2, won’t matter one bit because at best it will be Depaul and possibly on sr day..  Right now Mullin  has his team playing hard and that’s a plus. If kids quit on him, that’s when as a fan I will question who comes back next year.

Poison

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »

Hey foady,

Concede what stupid, I've suffered through much worse than this. The fact that you're gloating after watching those poor kids lose the way they did yesterday comprises Olympic gold medal faaggottry. Maybe if you didn't post so much from the toilet less of your output would be shit posts. Just a thought.

<Take that auto censor>

Foad: I was wrong. Dead wrong.

Give it a try smart guy. Practice it. Seriously.

Then, repeat after me... I’m sorry Mr.Lavin. I never liked you. I had no right to insult you while you were recovering from cancer, and after your father died. I’m a POS. That’s my excuse. It’s not a good one, but it’s why I say what I do. Maybe you weren’t the perennial tournament coach you were at UCLA but you made us relevant again.

And you showed that having a passion for your job combined with understanding your strengths and weaknesses will lead to positive results.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:20:12 PM by Poison »

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »

If he quits maybe the hire dick Vitale? He is probably 80. What do you think?

At least is was something different. At this point anything would be better. Like maybe post what you had for lunch. I am guessing sloppy joe's.

Foad

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »

Hey foady,

<Take that auto censor>

Then, repeat after me... I’m sorry Mr.Lavin. I never liked you. I had no right to insult you while you were recovering from cancer, and after your father died. I’m a POS. That’s my excuse. It’s not a good one, but it’s why I say what I do. Maybe you weren’t the perennial tournament coach you were at UCLA but you made us relevant again.

And you showed that having a passion for your job combined with understanding your strengths and weaknesses will lead to positive results.

Here's my take. Steve Lavin sucked at coaching and was mentally ill, suffering as he did from histrionic personalty disorder. I don't feel bad about anything I said about him because I have a life and am not a complete loser from Scarsadale. Also, suck my dick stupid.

desco80

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »

Hey foady,

<Take that auto censor>

Here's my take. Steve Lavin sucked at coaching and was mentally ill, suffering as he did from histrionic personalty disorder. I don't feel bad about anything I said about him because I have a life and am not a complete loser from Scarsadale. Also, suck my dick stupid.

A couple thoughts on the above: Lavin was a terrible human being and probably mentally ill.   No one criticized him for recovering from cancer, in fact he was bludgeoned for the opposite - telling us he was recovering when at the same time he was watching his own team play from a luxury suite, entertaining reporters on Saturday nights in Tribeca, and crisscrossing the country on fruitless recruit trips while his team was playing meaningful games.   

Discussing replacements for Mullin is as nonsensical as advocating a change to the American flag.   It's not going anywhere.  Save your breath.

Scarsdale is pretty nice from what I hear.   

Fun is the Omar Little of these boards.   Everybody else runs around fighting with pea shooters, he carries a shotgun.   And he makes too many dick comments to ignore

Poison

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »

Hey foady,

<Take that auto censor>

Since you like to suck so much, suck on this...

Lavin sucks compared to Carnesecca. Mullin sucks compared to Lavin.

Poison

« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »

Hey foady,

<Take that auto censor>

A couple thoughts on the above: Lavin was a terrible human being and probably mentally ill.   No one criticized him for recovering from cancer, in fact he was bludgeoned for the opposite - telling us he was recovering when at the same time he was watching his own team play from a luxury suite, entertaining reporters on Saturday nights in Tribeca, and crisscrossing the country on fruitless recruit trips while his team was playing meaningful games.   

Discussing replacements for Mullin is as nonsensical as advocating a change to the American flag.   It's not going anywhere.  Save your breath.

Scarsdale is pretty nice from what I hear.   

Fun is the Omar Little of these boards.   Everybody else runs around fighting with pea shooters, he carries a shotgun.   And he makes too many dick comments to ignore

Maybe St.John’s has the coach they truly deserve.

« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »

Hey foady,

<Take that auto censor>

Since you like to suck so much, suck on this...

Lavin sucks compared to Carnesecca. Mullin sucks compared to Lavin.

Besides, Fun sounds like the way he describes Lavin.  If you noticed, his bitch ass projects his personality on Lavin.  Effin' degenerate punk!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:56:59 PM by mjdinkins »

Pete88

« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
When is the next Johnny Jungle get together? 

goredmen

« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »

Hey foady,

<Take that auto censor>

I'm confused. The thing you repeat every post is about how lazy this staff was in the summer by not bringing in a complete roster. That's actually a legitimate gripe. But yet in Steve Lavin's 5th and final season here he only had 6 playable guys on the roster yet you say he had a passion for his job.

« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
When is the next Johnny Jungle get together? 

Tomorrow night at the Blue Oyster. See ya there 7pm