The Perfect Coach for ST John's

• 186 replies

Marillac

Re: The Perfect Coach for ST John's
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »
The only way you bring this staff back for another year is if you think they can do well and compete. I can not see how anyone in their right mind believes that. Nothing they have done has warranted another year. The longer this experiment goes on. The more embarrassing it becomes.
Playing devils advocate here and keep in mind I'm one of the unhappy ones. BUT would you say last year was on ok year ? Not great year and not horrible year ?

So while not throwing out this year from our memory but if we have a chance of having fuller and potentially better and more experienced roster next year and let's assume chance Mullin learns from mistakes of this year and grows from it dont we at least give the homegrown Hall of fame player the chance to coach that 4th year with full team and see what happens after all we have been through as fans over the last 20 years ?

What IF next year everyone came back and it became that breakthrough year ( I'm not saying it will be but what if there was a chance ) and if we hit our stride next year and we have a home grown Hall of Fame player coaching our team

I'll take the chance on that 4th year instead of blowing everything up and starting over knowing we have well over 3 million a year already committed for 3 more years and pray he gets it right
What happens if everything turns out ok and we make the NIT? You can’t recuit as a lame duck coach? Do we extend this staff? Do they get raises?
You wanted progression. NIT is progression, so I would say if Mullin wants it yes he gets an extension off NIT.

I just don't understand our fans. We have a gaping hole at guard that prevents this boat from floating. Last year we weren't good but we didn't have any huge holes. Clark, Simon, and Ahmed are the most unskilled trio of secondary ball-handlers we've ever had at SJU. We need guards!!! We get them next year with Williams and Dixon, and if the staff has any brains then we'll get a PG as well so we never have to be this inept again. Once that hole is patched the floor is NIT.

We can afford to lose any two kids next year but Ponds and we'll still be fine.

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
The only way you bring this staff back for another year is if you think they can do well and compete. I can not see how anyone in their right mind believes that. Nothing they have done has warranted another year. The longer this experiment goes on. The more embarrassing it becomes.
Playing devils advocate here and keep in mind I'm one of the unhappy ones. BUT would you say last year was on ok year ? Not great year and not horrible year ?

So while not throwing out this year from our memory but if we have a chance of having fuller and potentially better and more experienced roster next year and let's assume chance Mullin learns from mistakes of this year and grows from it dont we at least give the homegrown Hall of fame player the chance to coach that 4th year with full team and see what happens after all we have been through as fans over the last 20 years ?

What IF next year everyone came back and it became that breakthrough year ( I'm not saying it will be but what if there was a chance ) and if we hit our stride next year and we have a home grown Hall of Fame player coaching our team

I'll take the chance on that 4th year instead of blowing everything up and starting over knowing we have well over 3 million a year already committed for 3 more years and pray he gets it right
What happens if everything turns out ok and we make the NIT? You can’t recuit as a lame duck coach? Do we extend this staff? Do they get raises?
You wanted progression. NIT is progression, so I would say if Mullin wants it yes he gets an extension off NIT.

I just don't understand our fans. We have a gaping hole at guard that prevents this boat from floating. Last year we weren't good but we didn't have any huge holes. Clark, Simon, and Ahmed are the most unskilled trio of secondary ball-handlers we've ever had at SJU. We need guards!!! We get them next year with Williams and Dixon, and if the staff has any brains then we'll get a PG as well so we never have to be this inept again. Once that hole is patched the floor is NIT.

I really just can't fathom this Simon dribbling issue you have. You defend Ponds shooting against all statistical evidence but keep indicating Simon has a bad handle. Are you sure you know which guy Simon is? Sure you are not confusing him for Ahmed, Trimble or Yakwe? Amar maybe? 

goredmen

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »

So the problem is guard play and not the fact that we have nobody we can throw the ball to in the low post and expect him to make a play? The guards do all of the heavy lifting on this team because we don't have good bigs. That's the problem and that's been the problem since last year

paultzman

« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »

Per Zach B

Anton Goff on potential staff changes at St. John's: "Me and Chris will sit down and discuss the entire program after the season, and we'll go from there." #sjubb

« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »

Per Zach B

Anton Goff on potential staff changes at St. John's: "Me and Chris will sit down and discuss the entire program after the season, and we'll go from there." #sjubb

Thats a yes

goredmen

« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »

Per Zach B

Thats a yes

Damn, you're sharp. Can't slip nothing past you

Marillac

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »

I really just can't fathom this Simon dribbling issue you have. You defend Ponds shooting against all statistical evidence but keep indicating Simon has a bad handle. Are you sure you know which guy Simon is? Sure you are not confusing him for Ahmed, Trimble or Yakwe? Amar maybe? 

Our bigs aren't 0-7 bad. We won 8 conference games with them last year when they were younger and weaker. Plus we added Clark. Ahmed isn't 0-7 bad as a combo forward. Ponds will be all-conference. Simon in a primary ball handling role is 0-7 bad.

TONYD3

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »
Simon vs freshman Phil Greene.
That team wasn’t 0- 8
Simon vs Geno Lawrence
That team wasn’t 0- a lot either
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:15:12 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

Our bigs aren't 0-7 bad. We won 8 conference games with them last year when they were younger and weaker. Plus we added Clark. Ahmed isn't 0-7 bad as a combo forward. Ponds will be all-conference. Simon in a primary ball handling role is 0-7 bad.

Ahmed was benched deservedly so for long stretches in favor of a one dimensional frosh. No offense to Ahmed and wish him well in life but I will be glad when he is gone.
Ponds is going to be best player on 1-17 team. Unless they have 7 or 8 guys he is not making first team.

Marillac

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
That team wasn’t 0- 8
Simon vs Geno Lawrence

Geno was a pure PG. We would have 14-15 wins if we had him.  He wasn't the greatest, but he could get deep into the lane with his dribble unlike Simon who picks it up around the FT line and then leaps in like a maniac.

Marillac

« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »

« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »
That team wasn’t 0- 8
Simon vs Geno Lawrence

Geno was a pure PG. We would have 14-15 wins if we had him.  He wasn't the greatest, but he could get deep into the lane with his dribble unlike Simon who picks it up around the FT line and then leaps in like a maniac.

Simon sleeps faster than Geno could run.
Geno was worst point guard in ST John's history.
His shooting % did resemble your obsession so I guess I can see the attraction.

TONYD3

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
That team wasn’t 0- 8
Simon vs Geno Lawrence

Staring to understand your opinion better. Sadly this team could use Geno. I don’t think he would change the results that much. I think we should always have 3 PGs on roster. Fine taking a local kid like Geno who may not play so much. That is the kind of 12 scholarship that should be given out. No amar’s Or Frenchmen.
Next year do we have an upgrade? I know you say we do. That is not a definite. Hope so

SJUFAN

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
This is year 3 of a total rebuild (why are we always in a total rebuild). I have seen progress each year and that is what I look for. Not some arbitrary pre-season finish in the standings. Year 1 was a wash. Year 2 wasn't much better but I was concerned about the way the team played defense. Year 3 defense showed improvement, the effort from the players are there. The lose of ML cannot be emphasized enough on our struggles. We essentially have one ball handler, no shooters, and no inside game. It's not the offense, the players cannot execute the plays. Good luck finding success in Big East play without any of those. Yes it's on the staff to construct a team, i believe they are, its just not happening as fast as we would like. Many of you want Mullin to tell Amar stop taking three's, well that's not the offense. Although Amar can't make those, that 4/5 star kid we're recruiting can and they need to see the type of offense they would be playing in. Next we will have a full roster, next year is when we need to see significant progress.

Marillac

« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
That team wasn’t 0- 8
Simon vs Geno Lawrence

Simon sleeps faster than Geno could run.
Geno was worst point guard in ST John's history.
His shooting % did resemble your obsession so I guess I can see the attraction.

He never fell down dribbling like Simon. Every team can use a backup PG like Lawrence. The problem was that he had to be a main player for us. Watch that video above with Ellison. Damn we could use him now....if he was good for 2-3 clueless moments per game.

« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »

Per Zach B

Thats a yes

Damn, you're sharp. Can't slip nothing past you
That wasn't for me. That was for the short bus posters

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »
Geno stats
Frosh 33% shooting % 3.9 asst 3.2 TO's
Soph 37% 4.9 asst 3.7 to's
Junior 38% 3.2 asst 2.6 to's
Sen 34% 3.6 asst 2.3 to's

But he was a good point and Simon can't dribble?????

« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »
Geno stats

Like I said before, Simon is a great athlete who happens to play basketball

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
Geno stats

Geno was a terrible athlete that played terrible basketball

Pete88

« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
Geno stats

Geno was a terrible athlete that played terrible basketball
+1