Players on campus summer ?

• 32 replies
Players on campus summer ?
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
Has anyone seen any of the new players on campus/in the gym this summer ?
Any reports?

Is Rob T on Campus, looking more ready (I hope) for season ?
Molloy '71

pmg911

Re: Players on campus summer ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »
I am being 100% serious..

Old Red has consistently said he "bumps into" guys on campus...   maybe he can tell us...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:57:03 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
Any reports?

Most schools try to get their kids in for at least one session of summer school (in order to lighten the load during the season) and to have them work out together & build chemistry. I would expect Norm Roberts to want the same as his peers.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:57:54 PM »
Any reports?

Unfortunately, i have not seen any of the "new guys" on campus yet... i did see Thomas though & he has clearly dropped 15 lbs or so.... and Coker, Kennedy, Horne, Jasilonis & Evans have been on campus & working out together all summer.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

kob24

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
every one is there except justin he will be there tommorrow. They are gonna start work outs. I'll be at a few and tell y'all about them

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
Great- look forward to the reports !

Curious if either Ty or Quincy can play the 1.

Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »
And when is Cancun, Labor Day?

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »

yes

gonzalo

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073108aab.html

Inside The Red Storm: St. John's Basketball Freshmen

Three newcomers discuss their first impressions of St. John's.

July 31, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - With the 2008-09 season just around the corner, three freshmen are anxious to begin their careers as college basketball players at St. John's. New to the Red Storm, but already in training with their teammates, are Quincy Roberts (Harrisburg, Pa.), TyShwan Edmondson (Hopkinsville, Ky.), and Phil Wait (Manchester, England). The trio will bolster the Red Storm in the backcourt and at the center position.

Quincy Roberts, a 6-5 guard, will compete for time at the point guard and shooting guard positions. The Red Storm will need immediate support from Roberts in the backcourt to run the ball up the floor and score in transition. Roberts led his Harrisburg Cougars to the state semifinals in Pennsylvania as a sophomore and junior in high school. As a senior, he was a strong contributor, averaging 18.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game his senior year.

After being on campus for nearly a month, Roberts feels he is adjusting smoothly to his new home.

"It is what I expected it to be," said Roberts. "We're doing a lot of lifting and getting ready for the season. I'm doing pretty well getting used to it. We are all working together and becoming a team and a family. Our main focus is getting bigger, faster and stronger to prepare for the season."

In high school, Roberts played against Red Storm teammate D.J. Kennedy's Schenley High School squad from Pittsburgh and he was also familiar with sophomore Sean Evans, who didn't live far from his home.

"I knew D.J. and Sean because we are all from Pennsylvania," said Roberts. "It was another good thing about coming here to St. John's. They let me know the `ins and outs' of being here and it was really helpful. We already had something in common. I liked the campus when I visited; I love how convenient everything is on campus and how close everything is to the city. My decision was about academics as well as athletics, and I made the right choice."

TyShwan Edmondson will give the Red Storm an added dimension at the guard position and become a defensive threat with his length and quickness. He is a dynamic and proven scorer. In early April, Edmondson competed in the Kentucky-Ohio All-Star game. Not only did he notch 14 points for his Kentucky team, he won the dunk contest as well. The playmaker led his squad to the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen and a 30-5 record as a senior. The Hopkinsville, Ky., native posted impressive numbers for University Heights Academy, averaging 18.4 points, 6.7 rebounds, 4.3 assists, and 2.7 steals in his final season with the Blazers. The 6-4 freshman has begun the assimilation into his college squad and is coming into his own as a member of the Red Storm.

"We are becoming closer as a team and showing everyone how we play. I'm adjusting to the fast pace and the way everyone plays, and is lifting weights all the time to gain strength. I just need to become a more consistent shooter and get stronger."

Edmondson has enjoyed his time so far in New York and is anxious to explore everything the city has to offer.

"I have family around the area and New York is great," said Edmondson. "The metropolitan area is an easy place to gain exposure. Everything here is so easy to get to. I really like the family environment and it's a great place to be. I've never been to Madison Square Garden, so it will be crazy. I'll have a lot of fun."

The new 7-1 big man on campus, freshman center Phil Wait, spent two years in prep school at Proctor Academy and a year at the Gran Canaria Basketball Academy on his way to St. John's. Wait was enticed by everything St. John's has to offer a student-athlete and by the constant attention from St. John's assistant coach Glenn Braica.

"Coach Braica showed a lot of interest in me," said Wait. "He kept telling me 'We want you here, we want you here.' I think it is great here. I like the improvements they are doing around campus. I like the improvements they are doing to Carnesecca Arena. I really like the practice facility as well."

Wait, too, is adjusting to his new environment in Queens. The Manchester, England native is excited to play in the BIG EAST Conference this season and showcase his talents in the paint.

"I am having a lot of fun with my teammates," said the freshman. "We hang out together and we work out together. I just want to get as strong as I can in preparation for the season. I want to get minutes and contribute."

The three newcomers have received a warm reception from the campus and the university community. Each of them agreed that the people are nothing but warm and willing to help.

"Just walking around, the people are really nice and always friendly," said Wait. "It's just a nice place to be."

"It's a good place to go to school. Everyone is real friendly," said Roberts. "You get to know people quickly and it's not too big of a school so you still know your professors."

As for the rigors of the BIG EAST Conference and its effects on these freshmen, they are confident that their cohesiveness will prevail.

"Last year the team was young," said Roberts. "This year everyone is a year older and understands what it's going to be like. Even though we haven't been through it yet, the upperclassmen are helping us to prepare for what is coming. I think we are going to be a good team."

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »
very nice article. glad to see the kids are enjoying themselves so far. hopefully this turns into BE wins this year.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
every one is there except justin he will be there tommorrow. They are gonna start work outs. I'll be at a few and tell y'all about them
We're all very interested in what you have to say.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:20:51 AM »

yes

If they're going to Cancun Labor Day, what are the rules re organized practice w coaches ?

I thought midnight madness was beginning of allowed practice.

How many games & what level competition in Cancun ?
Molloy '71

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

yes

If they're going to Cancun Labor Day, what are the rules re organized practice w coaches ?

I thought midnight madness was beginning of allowed practice.

How many games & what level competition in Cancun ?

Teams are allowed to take pre-seaon trips once every three or fours years I believe...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:11 AM »
Every 4 years.  The teams get 10 practices, that's how it was last year with a couple of squads who did that.

kob24

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »
I just came back from watching the guys play. I like quincy Roberts he has a good body and is athletic. I'm not a fan of sean but he had two dunks that had everyone in the gym going crazy. Malik is better than geno. Phil is hilarious i spent some time talking to him he didn't play he was working out. He needs to put on 15-20 pounds but he is focused and looking at the guys he will. Dele lost alot of weight and looks buff. He was hitting the 10 footer consistantly and was playing with confidence. Tomas was tomas. Dj is at least 6'6 and Is strong as hell it looks like he's been working on his jump shot. I'm not sold on tyshawn but from what people told me about him is that he is good he looks like larry wright to me. Justin was justin his jump shot is crazy and he was playing like a man. The only ones not there was Paris and mason and all the guys said Paris has gotten better. And rob looks good his jump shot is piss and he was dunking and diving on the floor and pushing the ball every time he grabbed a board justin would yell push it rob and he would start the break. It was only one day I'm not talking big east champ or ncaa tournament they have a ways to go but I did like some of what I saw

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »
I just came back from watching the guys play. I like quincy Roberts he has a good body and is athletic. I'm not a fan of sean but he had two dunks that had everyone in the gym going crazy. Malik is better than geno. Phil is hilarious i spent some time talking to him he didn't play he was working out. He needs to put on 15-20 pounds but he is focused and looking at the guys he will. Dele lost alot of weight and looks buff. He was hitting the 10 footer consistantly and was playing with confidence. Tomas was tomas. Dj is at least 6'6 and Is strong as hell it looks like he's been working on his jump shot. I'm not sold on tyshawn but from what people told me about him is that he is good he looks like larry wright to me. Justin was justin his jump shot is crazy and he was playing like a man. The only ones not there was Paris and mason and all the guys said Paris has gotten better. And rob looks good his jump shot is piss and he was dunking and diving on the floor and pushing the ball every time he grabbed a board justin would yell push it rob and he would start the break. It was only one day I'm not talking big east champ or ncaa tournament they have a ways to go but I did like some of what I saw

Thanks for the update Kob!  Much appreciated keep the coming

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
That's awesome to hear, for real.  There are a lot of guys on the roster whose learning curve haven't flattened out - and if Dele is playing with confidence, that's encouraging.  How was Malik's jump shot (or is he using a runner in the lane?).  And Sean, well, he just has to know how to play his role and body up some opponents, grab some rebounds.  And Rob Thomas is ready to play?  Nice.

Keep it coming Kob.

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »
Good stuff! Off-season program seems to have helped the guys get strong. Working to together should help them mess a little better. Look forward to more updates. Thanks!

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:04 AM »
We need Dele to step it up. Good to hear.

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
I agree- Dele improvement is a big key to this year progress.

As raw as Evans was, I thought he was the better option over Dele & TJ.

Dele must improve his rebounding, defense &  get a post move.
I looked at last years Big east stats- He shot 25% from field  & 33% f/t !

Kob- did Quincy or Ty look like they can play the point?
I think they both averaged 5 assists in HS.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:33:40 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71