Hall Under Federal Investigation

• 81 replies

wpc77

Re: Hall Under Federal Investigation
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 11:41:26 PM »
Williard rip;
http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ssf/2018/02/kevin_williard_cant_plead_ignorance_ncaa_sleaze_sw.html

Thanks for sharing.  This certainly makes Lavin's stock go up in my eyes--as they say there but for the grace of God ( and realizing Tiny was dirty) goes SJU.

Careful.  Glass houses.

Yes...Be careful!  I always suspected that Amar Alibegovic and Joey De La Rosa only came to SJU because of big payoffs.   :)

Keep your head in the sand if u so choose.

Dan

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:17:54 AM »
Williard rip;
http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ssf/2018/02/kevin_williard_cant_plead_ignorance_ncaa_sleaze_sw.html

Thanks for sharing.  This certainly makes Lavin's stock go up in my eyes--as they say there but for the grace of God ( and realizing Tiny was dirty) goes SJU.

Careful.  Glass houses.

Yes...Be careful!  I always suspected that Amar Alibegovic and Joey De La Rosa only came to SJU because of big payoffs.   :)

Do you have any inside info or are you just being careful?

wpc77

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 12:25:30 AM »
Williard rip;

Careful.  Glass houses.

Nothing related to current staff or players

Dan

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
Williard rip;

Careful.  Glass houses.

Nothing related to current staff or players

Makes sense -- nothing would surprise me about the Lavin regime, however.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Did Lav have any investigations while he was at UCLA?

wpc77

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »
Lav Knew Nothing! (He was just the lead recruiter at the time of the wrongdoing is all): http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-05-01/sports/9805010114_1_ucla-steve-lavin-ncaa-violation
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:12:29 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 01:36:10 AM »
have All the top 150 kids play in G or D or F league let the rest of kids go to school for free

wpc77

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
have All the top 150 kids play in G or D or F league let the rest of kids go to school for free

Basically, what baseball does.  Yes that is what should be done.  Ncaa will never allow it for obvious reason$

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »
Things stay the same, Duke will get players in the 150s and so on. Things stay the same just level of play will be a level below.

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
I don't understand all the women who feel compelled to bash former coaches like Lavin and/or Jarvis.  Let it go.  You're like a bunch of supposedly wronged housewives.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 11:14:56 AM »
I don't understand all the women who feel compelled to bash former coaches like Lavin and/or Jarvis.  Let it go.  You're like a bunch of supposedly wronged housewives.

+1

Especially Lavin. We achieved nothing in 6 years with Norm Roberts and Lavin made us relevant again. How people can’t at least appreciate him for that is simply wrong.

Jarvis is a great example of how the media can paint a person out to be horrible. If Ron Artest is on vs Ohio State he’s as good of a coach as Lou Carnesecca. But clearly not as warm and inviting a person.

ras

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »

+1

Especially Lavin. We achieved nothing in 6 years with Norm Roberts and Lavin made us relevant again. How people can’t at least appreciate him for that is simply wrong.

Jarvis is a great example of how the media can paint a person out to be horrible. If Ron Artest is on vs Ohio State he’s as good of a coach as Lou Carnesecca. But clearly not as warm and inviting a person.
In the beginning of the Lavin tenure, I thought he was the greatest.  number 3 recruiting class, great year 1. But, then I lost faith in him. But have to give him credit, his tenure was he best we had in 20 years. That is not to say Mullin won’t turn things around, but that remains to be seen. Re, Jarvis he alienated a lot of NY HS coaches, which affected recruiting negatively.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:36:21 AM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »

+1

In the beginning of the Lavin tenure, I thought he was the greatest.  number 3 recruiting class, great year 1. But, then I lost faith in him. But have to give him credit, his tenure was he best we had in 20 years. That is not to say Mullin won’t turn things around, but that remains to be seen. Re, Jarvis he alienated a lot of NY HS coaches, which affected recruiting negatively.

Jarvis alienated a lot of local high school coaches, but Norm and Mullin haven’t. Together, Roberts and Mullin have landed 2 top 100 city players in 10 recruiting classes. The plan to keep the local talent home is what Lavin didn’t subscribe to. Instead he brought top talent to NYC. After the first couple of seasons, he didn’t bring very much top talent, but it’s clear that he brought more than Roberts and Mullin did.

Which strategy makes more sense? Seems like Lavin’s, doesn’t it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:28:32 PM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »

+1

Jarvis alienated a lot of local high school coaches, but Norm and Mullin haven’t. Together, Norm and Mullin have landed 2 top 100 city players in 10 recruiting classes. The plan to keep the local talent home is what Lavin didn’t subscribe to. Instead he brought top talent to NYC.

This year the players that play are from Brooklyn, Bronx, California, Kansas City, Kansas City, and Maryland.

Next year the 4 main guys being added are from  Delaware, Philly, New Orleans, and Florida.

So yes, this staff tries to recruit NYC because there are good players here and it's easier to recruit locally. It would be flat out stupid not to recruit the local talent no matter what school you are. But they certainly aren't limiting themselves to just the local area

Poison

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »

+1

Jarvis alienated a lot of local high school coaches, but Norm and Mullin haven’t. Together, Norm and Mullin have landed 2 top 100 city players in 10 recruiting classes. The plan to keep the local talent home is what Lavin didn’t subscribe to. Instead he brought top talent to NYC.

This year the players that play are from Brooklyn, Bronx, California, Kansas City, Kansas City, and Maryland.

Next year the 4 main guys being added are from  Delaware, Philly, New Orleans, and Florida.

So yes, this staff tries to recruit NYC because there are good players here and it's easier to recruit locally. It would be flat out stupid not to recruit the local talent no matter what school you are. But they certainly aren't limiting themselves to just the local area

This is about recruiting top talent out of state. Next year, we are adding zero top 100 recruits from outside of NY, inside of NY, Europe or anywhere. This staff’s recruiting is on par with what Norm Roberts brought here.

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Really hard to get top 100 recruits when he has no track record of winning, stable program developing players or show the ability to coach.

ras

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »

+1

Jarvis alienated a lot of local high school coaches, but Norm and Mullin haven’t. Together, Roberts and Mullin have landed 2 top 100 city players in 10 recruiting classes. The plan to keep the local talent home is what Lavin didn’t subscribe to. Instead he brought top talent to NYC. After the first couple of seasons, he didn’t bring very much top talent, but it’s clear that he brought more than Roberts and Mullin did.

Which strategy makes more sense? Seems like Lavin’s, doesn’t it?
I don’t care where they get the talent from. I agree we haven’t done that well locally and agree recruiting nationally is the way to go. Unfortunately I think SJU is a tough sell. It’s a catch 22. Can’t get good talent until we start winning.  But, can’t win w/o good talent. FWIW I think we have good talent. But are a couple of pieces short.

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »

+1

This is about recruiting top talent out of state. Next year, we are adding zero top 100 recruits from outside of NY, inside of NY, Europe or anywhere. This staff’s recruiting is on par with what Norm Roberts brought here.

That can't be too bad considering the most success Lavin had here was with Norm's players

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
forget Top 100 local talent, we haven't even demonstrated an ability to secure a decent amount of locals that are in Top 500.

We're probably passing up decent kids thinking we can do better.....  How's that working out for us ?

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
forget Top 100 local talent, we haven't even demonstrated an ability to secure a decent amount of locals that are in Top 500.

We're probably passing up decent kids thinking we can do better.....  How's that working out for us ?

There are some blind Mullin zealots on here and we all know who they are. Clearly they don't want to hear the truth and make up all these excuses when the staff keeps going after marginal talent recruits.

No coach who has Mullin's pedigree was brought in here to dig for 2 star scraps who are nowhere near BE level players. It's just more of the same nutwashing that some on here like to do to cover up for the staff's shortcomings.