Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
It's hard to tell with Mullin but it really seems like the transfers don't faze him. I'm not suggesting he's pushing kids out but is he really persuading them to stay? Feel like the attitude is ok, there is the door. That is fine but you better go out and get a player better than Tariq for next year's team. Don't just give us Josh Roberts and expect this team to compete for the tournament. If you get a grad transfer better than Owens fine...but they couldn't do that last year.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
From Zach...

Update on Tariq Owens: The release has been requested, per his dad, Renard Owens. "That doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. He's going to explore his options, if there is a better option out there for him." #sjubb

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 10:09:23 PM »
9th place with Bashir and Owens.
Without......................................................?
Fire Mullin.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 10:11:25 PM »
From Zach...

Update on Tariq Owens: The release has been requested, per his dad, Renard Owens. "That doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. He's going to explore his options, if there is a better option out there for him." #sjubb

So basically Zach was wrong trying to correct Evan Daniels. These guys are hysterical.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 10:11:37 PM »
From Zach...

See Zach should have gone to the kid's father from the beginning....LOL!

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:18 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Was told Tariq Owens father Renard is going to meet with Chris Mullin soon. #sjubb

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
Looks like someone wants to be in the spotlight a bit.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »
It's hard to tell with Mullin but it really seems like the transfers don't faze him. I'm not suggesting he's pushing kids out but is he really persuading them to stay? Feel like the attitude is ok, there is the door. That is fine but you better go out and get a player better than Tariq for next year's team. Don't just give us Josh Roberts and expect this team to compete for the tournament. If you get a grad transfer better than Owens fine...but they couldn't do that last year.

It seems that is his attitude for everything. I would have had a meeting with he and Clark the day after the season ended to talk about their roles for next year and name them captains. Maybe he's right to that for kids that don't want to be here. Time will tell.

ras

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »
That flat out sucks.  He’s showcasing himself very well here at SJU.  He’s improved consistently.  Not sure what he’s gonna gain by transferring?  We are certainly hurting if we lose Owens.  He’s been a big difference maker...  I’m bummed to hear it...  it’s a no win because it’s not like we have any too 100’s in the wings for 18’...
I agree. Although Owens wasn’t great. He’s 6 11 and good. We can’t afford for him to leave. He would get plenty of burn here, so I don’t see how transferring benefits him. Bummer.

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:57 PM »
How about Mullin be a recruiter? He can’t even keep kids on his roster. For every kid matty a lands, Mullin loses 2 more. Guy f’n blows as a coach.

Ya Matt A deserves another raise.

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
That flat out sucks.  He’s showcasing himself very well here at SJU.  He’s improved consistently.  Not sure what he’s gonna gain by transferring?  We are certainly hurting if we lose Owens.  He’s been a big difference maker...  I’m bummed to hear it...  it’s a no win because it’s not like we have any too 100’s in the wings for 18’...
I agree. Although Owens wasn’t great. He’s 6 11 and good. We can’t afford for him to leave. He would get plenty of burn here, so I don’t see how transferring benefits him. Bummer.

Probably wants to play in the tournament

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Was told Tariq Owens father Renard is going to meet with Chris Mullin soon. #sjubb

So he's going to use it as leverage for a bigger role for his son. Why not meet first? So strange.

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

So he's going to use it as leverage for a bigger role for his son. Why not meet first? So strange.
Very

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
His father posted an explanation on twitter:

https://twitter.com/eljefe132/status/974469144958652416

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
From Zach...

So basically Zach was wrong trying to correct Evan Daniels. These guys are hysterical.

He did try to contact father first but was unsuccessful initially.

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

That's what it sounds like to me, too.  Kinda like a free agent move in professional sports.  If that's the deal, then I'd move on.

Or, Mullin has already met with the Owens's and someone is trying to save face here.

If it's the former, then I'd press on.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23:43 PM »
His father posted an explanation on twitter:

https://twitter.com/eljefe132/status/974469144958652416

Sounds like they don’t want to return, they will come back if there is nothing better. Does not sit well either way. He’s either looking for greener pastures, or he comes back to a team he tried to bail on...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 10:24:35 PM »
Classic St. John's.

I'd take him back but I wouldn't hold out on offering his scholarship to a 5th year or impact juco.

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Very

Sounds like he is gone.  Let's rub a couple of nickels together and hope they have a few bigs ready to pop.

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »
I still expect him back.

He isn't getting 30 + mins in a power conference. Look at Tennessee.

He is a DECENT player but overrated by fans.  Regardless, All kids should explore their best option.

Next man up.