Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »
Absurd. Why would anyone at St Johns even think about welcoming him back

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 10:31:04 PM »
How about Mullin be a recruiter? He can’t even keep kids on his roster. For every kid matty a lands, Mullin loses 2 more. Guy f’n blows as a coach.

Ya Matt A deserves another raise.

Along with Mullins extension.

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
SICK AND TIRED OF THIS - YEAR AFTER YEAR - players leaving, de-comitting...WHEN WILL IT END?!?!?! ENOUGH ALREADY

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
I still expect him back.

He isn't getting 30 + mins in a power conference. Look at Tennessee.

He is a DECENT player but overrated by fans.  Regardless, All kids should explore their best option.

Next man up.

I agree and quite frankly if they were coming off a 20+ win season I wouldn't care much but considering the lack of progress the first 3 years and with what everyone agrees is a HUGE year 4 this type of news is likely to be met with more consternation.

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:48 PM »
How about Mullin be a recruiter? He can’t even keep kids on his roster. For every kid matty a lands, Mullin loses 2 more. Guy f’n blows as a coach.

Ya Matt A deserves another raise.

Along with Mullins extension.

Nah Matt's salary will bankrupt the program no money left over for Chris.

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »
I rather not go in to next year worried about how many shots and touches Owens is getting. It's selfish on his part. He has been given plenty of freedom here offensively. If this is about increasing his shots then he can sneaky bounce out. He's capable of making a 3 occasionally but he's not Kevin Durant. He can barely post up and make a solid move (assuming he's been encouraged to).

His value is shot-blocking, rebounding, setting strong screens and running the floor. Leave the scoring to our scorers.

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »
Poorly handed by both he and his father. Pretty sure St Johns can finish in 9th without Owens and his fathers heartfelt tweets

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2018, 10:43:21 PM »
Statement from his dad:   

https://twitter.com/eljefe132/status/974469144958652416?s=21

He clearly states that his decision is a "business decision" and solely about what is best for his son's basketball career. The problem is that graduate transfer exemption is only available for student athletes that have found a graduate major not offered at their current school. Let's see him back track off that.

TONYD3

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Maybe the dad isn’t looking for shots or minutes for his son. Maybe the dad wants a PG that can play. Or acoach that is competent and will work. This family could be mad that they thought they were going to a big time program coached by hall of famers instead of a 23 year old novice. Maybe the family wants some assurance that this staff has the vaguest clue how to do their jobs.  Winning games might be important to them. As is getting a chance to play pro ball.

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:01 PM »
Maybe the dad isn’t looking for shots or minutes for his son. Maybe the dad wants a PG that can play. Or acoach that is competent and will work. This family could be mad that they thought they were going to a big time program coached by hall of famers instead of a 23 year old novice. Maybe the family wants some assurance that this staff has the vaguest clue how to do their jobs.  Winning games might be important to them. As is getting a chance to play pro ball.

Fair points. I'd like to see Owens embrace his role and stick it out but what you are saying may be a factor.

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:32 PM »
From Zach...

Update on Tariq Owens: The release has been requested, per his dad, Renard Owens. "That doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. He's going to explore his options, if there is a better option out there for him." #sjubb

So basically Zach was wrong trying to correct Evan Daniels. These guys are hysterical.

He did try to contact father first but was unsuccessful initially.

Hahahah c'mon! I know he's your guy, but he got outscooped by Evan Daniels and felt compelled to interject without an answer. Of course he doesn't tweet that Evan was correct or that Evan had a better source after he learns the truth. These guys are funny.

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:09 PM »
Norm Roberts is in Wichita you think Chris has his number??? :)

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »

Then maybe his son should report at an acceptable weight with a post move instead of showing up looking like he's been tied to a chair in a basement for two months without food?🤔

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Actually pretty funny Lavin is in Wichita doing the games for TBS as well.

Maybe Chris can get both on retainer as assistants...:)

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 10:55:50 PM »

Then maybe his son should report at an acceptable weight with a post move instead of showing up looking like he's been tied to a chair in a basement for two months without food?🤔

Seems like a ballsy blind move, unless they have some insight that he is wanted somewhere. I wonder if he staff was expecting this was a possibility.
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
From Zach...

Update on Tariq Owens: The release has been requested, per his dad, Renard Owens. "That doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. He's going to explore his options, if there is a better option out there for him." #sjubb

So basically Zach was wrong trying to correct Evan Daniels. These guys are hysterical.

He did try to contact father first but was unsuccessful initially.

Hahahah c'mon! I know he's your guy, but he got outscooped by Evan Daniels and felt compelled to interject without an answer. Of course he doesn't tweet that Evan was correct or that Evan had a better source after he learns the truth. These guys are funny.
Yes he was scooped, that’s fair. I was just pointing out he did try contacting father, but had not gotten a response.

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »

Fair points. I'd like to see Owens embrace his role and stick it out but what you are saying may be a factor.

And that right there is the problem. His current ‘role’ won’t get him to th NBA. he needs a PG who will feed him the rock and not take horrible 3 pointers when Tariq is  wide open under the hoop. 

Mullin needs to squash the horrible shot selection by ponds.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Tariq’s dad is just fed up with ponds  can-do-no-wrong approach. I think it was the Seton hall game where Tariq’s frustration with the horrible shot selection was most visible. Tariq was clearly not happy.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:04 PM »
So the guy we shoulda hired as coach just won a tourney game today and the loser we hired is losing yet another player. What a joke this school and program are.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »
Who cares why he is leaving, seriously?  The why does not ultimately change the roster.