Rhode Island Scrimmage

• 68 replies
Re: Rhode Island Scrimmage
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »
Zags beat Zach. AGAIN!

This was announced a month ago.

We have no shot. Besides Ponds not one SJ player would start for RI.

You may actually be right.

Keita 7-10 FG, 6 rebounds

Ponds 17 pts / 7 ast / 8 rb

Clark/Herron = 4/21 FG

FT 22 -24

I feel good

Not thrilled about shooting 22-24 FT and still losing by 6 to an average team. Not gonna shoot 92% from FT line with that high a number of attempts too often.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »
2nd half stats looked much better

Our overall record still stands at 0-0.   We're good.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
There are no good signs. Cut the sh*t. We return three Goddamn starters and URI lost everyone. Why are we always the team that needs to gel? Stop making excuses.

These guys need to hit the glass and defend. They clearly did neither. The should have outrebounded URI by 12. The problem is philosophy. You let guys like Dom or Simon live on the perimeter and you are done. Simon is one of the best rebounders in the country and Mullin let's him go game after f*cking game without earning on the offensive end. It's not rocket science.

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
Zags beat Zach. AGAIN!

Clark/Herron = 4/21 FG

FT 22 -24

I feel good

Not thrilled about shooting 22-24 FT and still losing by 6 to an average team. Not gonna shoot 92% from FT line with that high a number of attempts too often.

Well, they were 19-22, so it kind of evened out.

If we can shoot free throws in the 70s for the year, with about 20 average attempts per game, we should finish with many more wins then losses for the season.

Chalk up today's free throw shooting events to a one-game fluke, IMO.

Actually, that's the one statistic from this game that you can probably take the most seriously.  Free throw situations are the same, regardless of the opponent/how seriously you are taking the game.

The FT shooting was a big positive, IMO.  Unfortunately, URI basically kept that even.  Neither percentage will probably happen most games.  Just shoot for what I said in the second paragraph.

cjfish

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 08:50:48 PM »
Its a scrimmage, no reason to be concerned.  I liked the minutes distribution and wonder about what backcourt combinations were tried.  I agree about Simon, want him around the boards.  Keita a surprise, if he can average 8 and 7 this team will be tough.  Wouldn't worry about Clark and Herron.....if they have a game like this together later in the season then worry.  Not surprised by Pond's turnovers....a new team and their first real run together, he will learn where to give them the ball and they will learn when to expect it.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 08:56:20 PM »
Let’s not forget that we’ve played well in these closed door scrimmages before and gone on to shit the bed during the season.

These scrimmages are only being played to see where the team is.

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »
Let’s not forget that we’ve played well in these closed door scrimmages before and gone on to shit the bed during the season.

Don't think we have. Lost to Rutgers and Rhody before and think even Hofstra schooled us a few years back.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »

Don't think we have. Lost to Rutgers and Rhody before and think even Hofstra schooled us a few years back.

There was one year I believe that we beat a competitive Iona team. Can’t recall, but I think there is one respectable program that we beat.

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
No one got hurt so it's a win

Foad

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »
Zags beat Zach. AGAIN!

Clark/Herron = 4/21 FG

FT 22 -24

I feel good

Of course you do.
Lost to a bad team from a low conference.

The team might not be in mid season form but your stupid is.

I am not sure if it is just sheer stupidity. I think this dates back to the insecure avoidant attachment style with his caregiver.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »
There are no good signs. Cut the sh*t. We return three Goddamn starters and URI lost everyone. Why are we always the team that needs to gel? Stop making excuses.

These guys need to hit the glass and defend. They clearly did neither. The should have outrebounded URI by 12. The problem is philosophy. You let guys like Dom or Simon live on the perimeter and you are done. Simon is one of the best rebounders in the country and Mullin let's him go game after f*cking game without earning on the offensive end. It's not rocket science.

If they had only started Simon at the 4....;)

Otherwise, I agree that it's not a good sign. Who knows what happens in a scrimmage but they ought to win these, imo.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 12:08:24 PM »

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
Why did Josh Roberts and Marcellus Earlington play 0 minutes?

Poison

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
We sure have a lot of strong opinions about a game we didn’t see.

Just wondering, why is a college basketball exhibition taken so much more seriously than a baseball or football exhibition?

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »

Just wondering, why is a college basketball exhibition taken so much more seriously than a baseball or football exhibition?
I don’t care that we lost. But it was more then just an exhibition. We didn’t lose with our third sting QB or our 7th starting pitcher. We played our best players. Ponds and Simon players 33 minutes. Wish we could have watched the game .

Foad

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »

Poison, the voice of reason? They could have played a box and one all game or a triangle and two. They might have run sets for Heron and Keita II all game. Nobody knows what went on. The chronic malcontents are happy with whatever supports the narrative - which, evidently, is that Mullin knows so little about basketball that he can coach a team with the NBA players on it down to midpack A-10 level. See? They were right again.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »

I don’t care that we lost. But it was more then just an exhibition. We didn’t lose with our third sting QB or our 7th starting pitcher. We played our best players. Ponds and Simon players 33 minutes. Wish we could have watched the game .

It doesn’t count more than any other game that also doesn’t count. It’s just an exhibition.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »

Poison, the voice of reason? They could have played a box and one all game or a triangle and two. They might have run sets for Heron and Keita II all game. Nobody knows what went on. The chronic malcontents are happy with whatever supports the narrative - which, evidently, is that Mullin knows so little about basketball that he can coach a team with the NBA players on it down to midpack A-10 level. See? They were right again.

I also find it funny that everyone knows how much URI sucks. It reminds me of how everyone knows that Providence is gonna suck just because they graduated seniors.