Game day at Rutgers

• 71 replies

TONYD3

Re: Game day at Rutgers
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »
Teams don’t get better playing Wagner and other cupcakes.This schedule is just another mistake.

Perhaps you were in the toilet and didn't notice but Louie managed to make the HOF by beating the Wagners of the world.

The last time SJ made the tournament they won 21 games, which wins included 9 cupcakes: NJIT, Franklin Pierce, LIU, Niagara, Fairly Ridiculous, Fordham, St Mary's, Long Beach State and Tulane Was that just another mistake stupid?
Wasn’t in the toilet. I was in nursery school. You fxcking idiot. Louie last coached here almost 30 years ago. Times have changed.
That st. Mary’s team that you call a cupcake is as good as any team team on the OOC besides duke. Also won at Syracuse. Beat Minnesota. Played top 10 Gonzaga very close. Don’t remember rest of schedule.
Just remembered they also played duke.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:26:00 PM by TONYD3 »

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 07:38:53 PM »
Seton Hall lost a ton more than we did, returned far less than we did and have a significantly stronger schedule than us. As do the rest of the BE teams that expect to be in the hunt for an NCAA tourney bid in March.

What's more important: beating the bad teams on your schedule or losing to the good teams on your schedule? If SH loses to Louisville, Kentucky and @ Maryland loses either to Nebraska on the road or Rutgers - which game Rutgers has circled on their calendar evidently - that's 4 OOC losses, which if they go .500 in the BE, that make them carry the one charitably (and approximately) 17-16, five of those wins comprising impressive victories over St Louis, Sacred Heart, Grand Canyon State, New Hampshire and Wagner.

Come on now. That's barely a CBI resume, if there even is a CBI anymore.

You're obviously way oversimplifying things. You have way more to lose playing a bad team while the team playing the good team has way more to gain.

Let's say Team A is playing Loyola, Bowling Green, St Francis and Niagara
Team B is playing Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland and Nebraska

Team A goes 3-1 in their games.
Team B goes 2-2 in theirs.

Obviously Team B is better off than Team A. Team B picked up 2 quality wins. All Team A did is pick up one really bad loss.

There's a reason St. Mary's didn't make the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and 2018 despite winning 27 and 28 games before Selection Sunday in those respective seasons. Now, I understand that they don't have the same opportunities that we do during conference play, but they loaded up on cupcakes in Nov + Dec, picked up nothing but easy Ws and then got sent to the NIT.

I don't think the schedule will necessarily keep us out of the NCAA Tournament. But it will definitely hurt our seeding, which again could be the difference between playing Kansas and playing Clemson with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line

SJUFAN

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 08:09:16 PM »
Now, I understand that they don't have the same opportunities that we do during conference play

That’s it in a nutshell and why all the talk about how weak our ooc schedule is may be overstated. If we take care of business during conference play, we’ll be alright.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »
Now, I understand that they don't have the same opportunities that we do during conference play

That’s it in a nutshell and why all the talk about how weak our ooc schedule is may be overstated. If we take care of business during conference play, we’ll be alright.

Nailed it. We play at least 24 games against high majors (including Temple/VCU winner here) and only NINE of those are at home. We also play BG and Princeton which aren't walks in the park. In fact I think we either lose to Princeton or barely survive.

We play the #1 team in the county in Cameron and we played the #8 team in the country at least twice. What will keep is out is a lack of wins. That's it.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »
I was in nursery school.

How many times did you get left back?

Foad

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
You're obviously way oversimplifying things. You have way more to lose playing a bad team while the team playing the good team has way more to gain.

Let's say Team A is playing Loyola, Bowling Green, St Francis and Niagara
Team B is playing Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland and Nebraska

Team A goes 3-1 in their games.
Team B goes 2-2 in theirs.

Obviously Team B is better off than Team A. Team B picked up 2 quality wins. All Team A did is pick up one really bad loss.

There's a reason St. Mary's didn't make the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and 2018 despite winning 27 and 28 games before Selection Sunday in those respective seasons. Now, I understand that they don't have the same opportunities that we do during conference play, but they loaded up on cupcakes in Nov + Dec, picked up nothing but easy Ws and then got sent to the NIT.

Let's say SJ beats 3/4 of the team on their schedule and SH loses to 2/4 of the teams on their schedule and the 3/4 of the teams that SJ beats are half as good as the teams that SH loses to.  And then let's all jerk off onto a cookie and the last one who comes gets to eat what remains after dancing on the head of a pin.

I could not be less interested in this sort of masturbatory phantasmagoria in November postulating what might happen in March. Winning games is better than losing them. Intercourse Ken Pom and the RPI and whatever else advanced mathematical metrics you masturbate to. If SH is .500 come January one and SJ is 10-2 and they both go 9-9 in the BE I'd rather be me than them, regardless of why St Mary's didn't make the tournament in 2016

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
Let's say SJ beats 3/4 of the team on their schedule and SH loses to 2/4 of the teams on their schedule and the 3/4 of the teams that SJ beats are half as good as the teams that SH loses to.  And then let's all jerk off onto a cookie and the last one who comes gets to eat what remains after dancing on the head of a pin.

I could not be less interested in this sort of masturbatory phantasmagoria in November postulating what might happen in March. Winning games is better than losing them. Intercourse Ken Pom and the RPI and whatever else advanced mathematical metrics you masturbate to. If SH is .500 come January one and SJ is 10-2 and they both go 9-9 in the BE I'd rather be me than them, regardless of why St Mary's didn't make the tournament in 2016

The fact that he even brings up St. Mary's shows how little he understands.

We're not a great team right now. We could be ina month, though. We'd be 2-6 by that point if he made the schedule.

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 10:29:38 PM »
The fact that he even brings up St. Mary's shows how little he understands.

We're not a great team right now. We could be ina month, though. We'd be 2-6 by that point if he made the schedule.

Yeah, it's gonna be super easy winning games as we get better and nobody else does. Give me a break with that.

There's a reason literally everybody that knows anything about college basketball has said our schedule is an absolute embarrassment. Because it is. Yet some can't wrap that little minds around it

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »

Yeah, of course if we go 13-5 in conference then we're fine, but still dropping a seed line or 2. The far more likely scenario is that we go 10-8 in conference and that's when the OOC schedule really bites us.

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
The bottom line is we're better off playing the best team in the Big Ten and losing...than playing the worst team and losing (which we'll probably do).  We have good players but I'm beginning to be skeptical about the coaching.

I don't mind us playing the sisters of the poor...but to lose a scrimmage to URI and eke out a win against Bowling Green look like bad signs to me in advance of the Big East season.  The suction is too great for us to go undefeated going into Big East play...no matter the opponent.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2018, 11:17:42 AM »
Yeah, it's gonna be super easy winning games as we get better and nobody else does. Give me a break with that.

There's a reason literally everybody that knows anything about college basketball has said our schedule is an absolute embarrassment. Because it is. Yet some can't wrap that little minds around it

In the last three contests we lost a scrimmage to a rebuilding URI and escaped BG by the skin of our teeth and you still won't shut up about us not scheduling better opponents! Are you all there?

Guess what? We'd lose dude! We're not good right now. Teams with more skill and better coaching are much tougher early in the year than more athletic teams like us. It's just basketball. Maybe we will never be good, but how many teams have a returning All-American and a kid that was 2nd team all conference with a top 30 former recruit like Simon? Almost nobody can match that and that is what gives us a much higher ceiling than other teams that aren't good right now. 

The ONLY way this team gets left out is if they fail to win 20 games. That's it.

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
In the last three contests we lost a scrimmage to a rebuilding URI and escaped BG by the skin of our teeth and you still won't shut up about us not scheduling better opponents! Are you all there?

Guess what? We'd lose dude! We're not good right now. Teams with more skill and better coaching are much tougher early in the year than more athletic teams like us. It's just basketball. Maybe we will never be good, but how many teams have a returning All-American and a kid that was 2nd team all conference with a top 30 former recruit like Simon? Almost nobody can match that and that is what gives us a much higher ceiling than other teams that aren't good right now. 

The ONLY way this team gets left out is if they fail to win 20 games. That's it.

Yeah, we lose, that's why losing to decent teams is better than losing to bad teams. This is the best team we've had in 20 years, if we are scared to play good teams we might as well move to the MAAC.

20 wins with this schedule puts this team squarely on the bubble. That's not good enough for this roster

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
This is your best post in some time.

Thanks Marillac.  I try.

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
I don't think the schedule will necessarily keep us out of the NCAA Tournament. But it will definitely hurt our seeding, which again could be the difference between playing Kansas and playing Clemson with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line

You do know this is a St. John's message board, right?

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Perhaps you were in the toilet and didn't notice but Louie managed to make the HOF by beating the Wagners of the world.

The last time SJ made the tournament they won 21 games, which wins included 9 cupcakes: NJIT, Franklin Pierce, LIU, Niagara, Fairly Ridiculous, Fordham, St Mary's, Long Beach State and Tulane Was that just another mistake stupid?

Wasn’t in the toilet. I was in nursery school. You fxcking idiot. Louie last coached here almost 30 years ago. Times have changed.
That st. Mary’s team that you call a cupcake is as good as any team team on the OOC besides duke. Also won at Syracuse. Beat Minnesota. Played top 10 Gonzaga very close. Don’t remember rest of schedule.
Just remembered they also played duke.

See if you missed the Louie years you would think you would be more patient. Since you have been a fan we have sucked yet you always seem disappointed.

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
"Let the hype begin."
What hype?

Talent on SJU, but not good enough for hype yet.
Just shhh with the talking, and show it.
Talking the talk is the easy part, now it's time to walk the walk.

derk

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »
JEEZ !

7'0 , 275
6'7 , 240
6'9 , 243
6'9 , 245
6'10, 255
6'6 , 230
6' 10 - 235

Guess who these guys are ?

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »
JEEZ !

7'0 , 275
6'7 , 240
6'9 , 243
6'9 , 245
6'10, 255
6'6 , 230
6' 10 - 235

Guess who these guys are ?

Perhaps we should try to run.

derk

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
Perhaps we should try to run.

You can run but you can't hide. And now -1 Keita.

QuanMan

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
You can run but you can't hide. And now -1 Keita.

But we can run into their bigs with our supremely talented guards, run towards their bigs to create turnovers and run past their bigs with our speed on fast breaks. They've been practicing to counteract this for 4 days now. This game can't be any more imbalanced at this point, we'll see what our coaching can do as they're up against it.
Section 3
Section 116