1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison

• 44 replies

Marillac

1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
Discussed this with WASJU on the other site. I think this team most closely resembles that 99-00 team. They went 7 deep, were small down low, and had to rely on wings to play big. Comparing 98-99 doesn't seem fair because Artest was just so good.

6'1 Barkley    6'1 Ponds
6'4 Bootsy     6'5 Heron
6'5 Postell      6'6 Figueroa
6'7 Jessie       6'5 Simon
6'6 Glover      6'7 Clark

6'3 Gray        6'2 Dixon
6'9 Emanuel   6'9 Keita + Trimble

Simon and Jessie seem very similar...poor shooters, rack up a lot of assists and turnovers, rebound well, etc. Simon has the huge athletic advantage though.

One interesting thing I discovered...in our close second round loss to Gonzaga, Bootsy was terrible. 1-8 from three, 3-13 from the flooor, 4 turnovers, and only 3 boards. He shot only 57.3% from the FT line and 35.5% from deep that year.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:49:36 PM by Marillac »

Re: 1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
Simon >> Jessie

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
Simon >> Jessie

Oh definitely. If things go the way I think, that won't even be close.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Simon >> Jessie

Not sure about that if you’re looking at Simon this season and Reggie Jessie as a junior. As a senior, Jessie couldn’t put it together. Actually, he imploded. But as a junior, Jessie was a great role player.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
Jesse was a heady player. Then again the bball IQ on that team definitely higher than on this team. Simon and Clark are talented but just dense.

Donald Emanuel was hilarioulsy bad until he wasn't as an upperclassmen and actually became decent.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
Jesse was a heady player. Then again the bball IQ on that team definitely higher than on this team. Simon and Clark are talented but just dense.

Donald Emanuel was hilarioulsy bad until he wasn't as an upperclassmen and actually became decent.

I remember Emanuel making bonehead plays, and being pretty far behind the rest of the team, but we could really use a guy who could rebound and I remember Emanuel rebounding as a freshman.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:04:57 PM »
I remember Emanuel making bonehead plays, and being pretty far behind the rest of the team, but we could really use a guy who could rebound and I remember Emanuel rebounding as a freshman.

He could outrebound most of these guys and also could hit the occasional 3 ball as a senior.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 12:26:58 AM »
Not sure about that if you’re looking at Simon this season and Reggie Jessie as a junior. As a senior, Jessie couldn’t put it together. Actually, he imploded. But as a junior, Jessie was a great role player.

My brain is soaked so I would take my recollections with a grain of salt.

I remember Jessie having a very promising freshmen campaign leading to high expectations that never panned out.  I thought he regressed from there commencing with an awful senior season.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 01:47:05 AM »
My brain is soaked so I would take my recollections with a grain of salt.

I remember Jessie having a very promising freshmen campaign leading to high expectations that never panned out.  I thought he regressed from there commencing with an awful senior season.

As a freshman he was part of a big freshman class that Fran brought in with Artest, Felton, Crooks, Thornton and a big man named Ed Brown who like many big men, never even made it to campus.

He held his own, but his PT was limited because we had a lot of guys that season.

The next couple of years he was very good, but as a senior, he was really bad. You’re right. He lost his shit in a bad loss to GW and he never got it together after that. The entire 00-01 Johnnies team wasted Omar Cook’s tremendous season.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »
As a freshman he was part of a big freshman class that Fran brought in with Artest, Felton, Crooks, Thornton and a big man named Ed Brown who like many big men, never even made it to campus.

He held his own, but his PT was limited because we had a lot of guys that season.

The next couple of years he was very good, but as a senior, he was really bad. You’re right. He lost his shit in a bad loss to GW and he never got it together after that. The entire 00-01 Johnnies team wasted Omar Cook’s tremendous season.

I don't think Jessie was ever "very good." He was a slow player who moved oddly and was clearly not as good as the rest of the 99-00 rotation. Good skill but poor IQ. Decent depth guy...nothing more. I remember never ending mistakes coming from him.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 07:55:47 AM »
I don't think Jessie was ever "very good." He was a slow player who moved oddly and was clearly not as good as the rest of the 99-00 rotation. Good skill but poor IQ. Decent depth guy...nothing more. I remember never ending mistakes coming from him.

His IQ wasn’t so poor when he had that put back to beat Syracuse at MSG. He wasn’t a great athlete, but he was a very good passer. He made his teammates better. Averaged 3.6 assists his junior year. Too bad he fell apart as a senior instead of rising to the occasion, because the opportunity was there. That team had talent.

I don’t remember neverending mistakes. Physically and offensively limited, yes. But he wasn’t shooting three pointers to prove a point. He didn’t shoot them. It would be great if Trimble would take notes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:04:21 AM by Poison »

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »

Yeah, I always kind of thought that Fran recruited him, in order to open the door for Artest to come here.  I don't think they were a package deal, per se, but I do think Jessie's early commitment here helped us WRT Artest.

Jessie had his moments, though.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Yeah, I always kind of thought that Fran recruited him, in order to open the door for Artest to come here.  I don't think they were a package deal, per se, but I do think Jessie's early commitment here helped us WRT Artest.

Jessie had his moments, though.

Jesse was a top 75 recruit at least. He was a name recruit that Fran beat out top schools for.
This wasn't a Tristan Smith.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »
Jessie was my favorite player on that team. He played his role fantastic. His senior year was tough. Glover was never as good either.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »

Thanks Michael.  I know I can count on you for historical accuracy.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »
Jessie was my favorite player on that team. He played his role fantastic. His senior year was tough. Glover was never as good either.

Of course he was.  Why wouldn't you like a kid who turned the ball over and had defenses lapses every few minutes. 

He passed well, had a good handle for his size, and played physical.  But he couldn't shoot and he had a low basketball IQ.

Youtube has our tournament game against Gonzaga in 2000-2001.  Count all of his mistakes.  You won't be able to use just your fingers.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
Of course he was.  Why wouldn't you like a kid who turned the ball over and had defenses lapses every few minutes. 

He passed well, had a good handle for his size, and played physical.  But he couldn't shoot and he had a low basketball IQ.

Youtube has our tournament game against Gonzaga in 2000-2001.  Count all of his mistakes.  You won't be able to use just your fingers.
But he didn’t shoot. He did what he was coached to do. He played well even though he had limitations. Jessie also was a good offensive rebounder. Maybe Simon, who you are always hating on could be also if he wasn’t standing behind the 3 point line.
 And that’s why that team would kill this team. That’s why this is such a stupid comparison.
You are full of shit. One day playing this ridiculous schedule makes sense. “Perfect schedule”
The next day you compare this group to the 99 team.
Don’t remember the specifics of the game. Conceding he played awful. He still was a big part of the season. Whatever his stats might have been.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:12:18 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »
But he didn’t shoot. He did what he was coached to do. He played well even though he had limitations. Jessie also was a good offensive rebounder. Maybe Simon, who you are always hating on could be also if he wasn’t standing behind the 3 point line.
 And that’s why that team would kill this team. That’s why this is such a stupid comparison.
You are full of shit. One day playing this ridiculous schedule makes sense. “Perfect schedule”
The next day you compare this group to the 99 team.
Don’t remember the specifics of the game. Conceding he played awful. He still was a big part of the season. Whatever his stats might have been.

Jessie was almost always outside the three point line.  Offensive rebounding...you're thinking of Postell.  Postell was a warrior. He averaged over 3 offensive boards a game.  Jessie was basically the second ball-handler on the 99-00 team when Chudney wasn't in.  He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good.  He was like Trimble if you reversed Trimble's shot and Jessie's passing. 

I don't see how anyone could favor him over the other four amazing starters. Bootsy?  Barkley! Glover?  Postell!  BTW, Glover was awesome both games in the tournament that year.  I want to say he was 9-9 in FGs and they were all bully moves. If he got more looks we would have won.

SJUFAN

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 09:34:08 PM »
Discussed this with WASJU on the other site. I think this team most closely resembles that 99-00 team. They went 7 deep, were small down low, and had to rely on wings to play big. Comparing 98-99 doesn't seem fair because Artest was just so good.

6'1 Barkley    6'1 Ponds
6'4 Bootsy     6'5 Heron
6'5 Postell      6'6 Figueroa
6'7 Jessie       6'5 Simon
6'6 Glover      6'7 Clark

6'3 Gray        6'2 Dixon
6'9 Emanuel   6'9 Keita + Trimble

Simon and Jessie seem very similar...poor shooters, rack up a lot of assists and turnovers, rebound well, etc. Simon has the huge athletic advantage though.

One interesting thing I discovered...in our close second round loss to Gonzaga, Bootsy was terrible. 1-8 from three, 3-13 from the flooor, 4 turnovers, and only 3 boards. He shot only 57.3% from the FT line and 35.5% from deep that year.

The 99-00 team would have destroyed this team. They were both mentally and physically tough. They were battle tested. This team try’s to play too finesse. Heron could have played on that team, that’s about it. Right now he’s our best interior defender. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:53:05 PM by SJUFAN »

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
Liked the entire team. They competed hard Every night. They played smart. They rebounded even though they were small. They guarded the post.

Our current team maybe has similar talent. They play nothing like that team.
That is why I am unhappy watching them. Not a miserable troll. Went to both Brooklyn games. Left annoyed. Also went to Rutgers, impressed with the shooting. It was incredible. Do not think they can sustain.

Harrison and pointers last team, only played a few guys. But that team played hard. That was a team I loved rooting for.
Shooting was off the other night like you said. That game was more then that. That zone wasn’t amazing. Their should have been more of a game plan. Have to attack the zone.
Going forward, teams are going to give our second tier players open looks and beg them to shoot. That’s how I would defend us. Stop ponds and Herron. How would you?
You are choosing to be more positive. Play well and I will be positive. We have played 4 games against decent competition and we played well in 1. Do you disagree?