st johns basketball really trying to get back on track?

• 6 replies
st johns basketball really trying to get back on track?
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:30:48 AM »
I recieved an email about 2 weeks ago from the new chair of school spirit, and she asked if i would be willing to help with basketball this year...they wanted to change things with seating, and organize some pregame festivities....i emailed her telling her i was interested, and this is what she just emailed me back:

"Hey!
Yes, I got your last email and Im sorry I didnt email you back. I am
really glad there are some of you guys that want to help out with
basketball and school spirit is definitely going to accept any help you
give this year. Some things have changed this year. We had a meeting in
June with Norm Roberts and a meeting in July to talk about season
tickets. From those meetings it was decided that we would try a staging
area (they're trying to get the little theater) this year before games,
where Norm or one of his assistant coaches will come and talk to fans
and give them a scouting report. Other than the coaches talking, what
happens in the staging area is mainly going to be handled by school
spirit. So things like giveaways, pep rallys, food or whatever else we
decide to do will happen there. We figure that you guys will probably
be better at getting the fans hyped than us. So we will be having
meetings to talk about what you guys wanna do there once school starts.
When we talked about season tickets, we told them that one of the main
issues was seating because the student section is usually divided. They
decided season tickets would be $99 and they have a definite student
section in CA (behind the two baskets and overflow goes into the
section by pep band that they call lst years student section) They are
still working on a student section in MSG. Tami specifically told them
how sometimes fans are told to sit down by security and other things
negative things about the divided student section at MSG. Athletics is
supposed to be talking to who they deal with at MSG but I havent heard
anything back about that. They are also looking into having a staging
area there.
They are having a basketball "Storm Fest" event like the one that
happened two years ago to introduce the basketball teams. Its happening
in late september. There is actually a meeting coming up about that
soon. I dont have the date yet but probably this week or next week.  I
dont know if you want to help us plan that ... Norm really wants
basketball to change.
We will one day have to chat about that meeting.
it was interesting. I dont know what else to tell you about... but let
me know if you have any questions or anything about anything so far.
and thanks so much for wanting to help!"

the last 2 years or so ive been contacted  by someone asking for help, but nothing ever came of it...this is the first time everyone seems to be taking action...it sounds like norm and the staff\school really are determined to get this program back on track and make us relevent again...i remember last year i was told norm didnt want stormfest and he didnt even want us to plan away trips...its late and im incapable of making very comprehendable sentences right now, so ill stop rambling...just wanted to share with everyone the changes that are being planned...im emailing her back right now and i plan on attending the meeting they're having this week or next week, and i will keep you all updated...and if theres any suggestion just let me know and ill be sure to let them know (please only serious suggestions, nothing sarcastic)

Re: st johns basketball really trying to get back on track?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:44:48 AM »
Well one thing they are doing right is student ticket prices have been lowered to an affordable $99

This photo hasn't seen the streets yet but this is what the marketing plan will look like for upcoming season.....

Also it would be nice to see a "student section" at MSG instead of the BS scattering of students and constant hassling.

One thing I find a bit perplexing is Norm or one of the assistants has the time to take before games to talk to students? Shouldn't they be worrying more about the game than the fans? Its sounds nice in theory but I don't think it sounds too practical.

Also I've been trying to accomplish these things for years with no support from the school which is the whole reasoning and purpose behind Johnny Jungle.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:59:14 PM »
Well one thing they are doing right is student ticket prices have been lowered to an affordable $99

This photo hasn't seen the streets yet but this is what the marketing plan will look like for upcoming season.....

Also it would be nice to see a "student section" at MSG instead of the BS scattering of students and constant hassling.

One thing I find a bit perplexing is Norm or one of the assistants has the time to take before games to talk to students? Shouldn't they be worrying more about the game than the fans? Its sounds nice in theory but I don't think it sounds too practical.

Also I've been trying to accomplish these things for years with no support from the school which is the whole reasoning and purpose behind Johnny Jungle.

I got that sheet in the mail two weeks ago.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »
the school is doing plenty to get us on track.

roberts is a huge problem.  they're giving him all the tools they wouldn't give anyone else.  he flat out has proven he has no intellect as a coach.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »
Norm really wants
basketball to change.

I would hope Norm wants a change, because if there isn't a change, and I said this to my buddy last year, but I couldn't post it on any of these intahnets, that if there isnt a change at St John's then there will be a coaching change, which, unfortunately for Mr. Roberts will mean the end of the 15,000 pay checks and other nice perks he receives as head coach of SJU, so I really hope there is a change because either way, we (the FANS, will be winners!
This signature has been edited at the request of the Mighty Mods of the Jungle.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »
if norm really wanted basketball to change at st john's, he'd get rid of his inept assistants i.e. braica and bring in a real x and o guy...or he'd quit.

he doesn't want basketball to change.  he wants your perception of how he's doing to change.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »
if norm really wanted basketball to change at st john's, he'd get rid of his inept assistants i.e. braica and bring in a real x and o guy...or he'd quit.

he doesn't want basketball to change.  he wants your perception of how he's doing to change.

Did Norm tell you all this?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle