Game 10: Wagner

• 82 replies

TONYD3

Re: Wagner game thread
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
Norm was horrible but if memory serves me correct we would start games out well and have meltdowns like Hofstra etc
Before the narrative is changed. Who cares? Norm is gone. This team is not prepared, that had nothing to do with norm.

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
Before the narrative is changed. Who cares? Norm is gone. This team is not prepared, that had nothing to do with norm.
If they aren't prepared for the first half and they play completely different the 2nd half isnt it fair to say somehow they were prepared at halftime ?

TONYD3

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »
If they aren't prepared for the first half and they play completely different the 2nd half isnt it fair to say somehow they were prepared at halftime ?
No they just are playing shit. Their 4/5 star players are so much better then 00000 star players.

TONYD3

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »
No more excuses. Not the cupard, cupboard, or the staircase.

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
No more excuses. Not the cupard, cupboard, or the staircase.
Who's making excuses ? I was the first one killing Mullin year 1 for sitting on the scorers table

I haven't been thrilled with his coaching. I'm on record saying he needs to prove himself this year. I wasn't thrilled with the non conference schedule. I think we are going to have an excellent year however and think the end of the schedule is very favorable to us closing super strong

Lavins first year we lost to freaking Fordham. We dint gel till conference play. If Mullin cant win with this group I dont think he will ever win ( and I really hope that's not the case )

This is the most talented on paper team we have in God knows how many years. The recruiting isnt ideal for my tastes as far as HS kids go but if this ends up working this way wtf cares. I'll adjust my ideals

But I'm not going to freak out yet when we haven't lost to some of the other shit teams like we have in the past non conference seasons
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:35:19 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2018, 10:37:28 PM »
Why does any of that matter? People are so focused on these polls and these rankings. The only rankings that matter are the ones that happen at the end of the year. We are 10-0 for the first time in a million years. If we blow a team out, it won't matter to those people anyway because of the schedule that they hate. I have hope in December for the first time in a decade. I hope others join me in keepikg the hope alive.
It is indicative of underperforming despite not losing. The excitement isn’t off the charts because we are actually underachieving a bit. 10-0 is awesome but it won’t start to feel exciting until we beat a NCAA tourney team.

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2018, 11:09:45 PM »
It is indicative of underperforming despite not losing. The excitement isn’t off the charts because we are actually underachieving a bit. 10-0 is awesome but it won’t start to feel exciting until we beat a NCAA tourney team.

Our OOC schedule in the 199-2000 was this: Samford (a loss, by the way) and New Mexico in the Vaunted CoSIDA CLassic, Stony Brook, Coppin St., St. Francis, Niagra, DePaul, Sacred Heart, Hofstra and Duke.

I'm sure our KenPom rating would have sucked then, too. I mean, seriously. You're not excited about this year because the computer tells you so? Sad. You're no TONYD3, but that attitude is bumming me out, bro.

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2018, 12:26:31 AM »
Ponds looking more Nba ready by the minute.

14 assists to 1 turnover is just insane.  That's all-time material.  Phenomenal stuff from him today.

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2018, 03:04:12 AM »
I watched a LOT of games on Saturday.

Michigan was in a dogfight all day with Western Michigan
Syracuse lost to Old Dominion
UConn struggled in the first half with Manhattan
Seton Hall struggled with Rutgers
Nova lost to Penn this week
VIRGINIA LOST TO A 16 SEED UMBC IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT

So I think it's pretty hilarious that St John's even though they're 10-0, pulled away in the second half and had a player a rebound away from a triple double is not good enough for some of you. Go somewhere else and masturbate to your computer numbers I'll be supporting the boys.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:05:12 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Foad

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »
It is indicative of underperforming

[...]

we are actually underachieving

Underachieve means "to do less well than expected." Seriously, what were your expectations? Did you think they'd be 13-0 after 10 games? Would you be happy if they'd won their last three by 25 instead of 15? I've been a SJ fan for a very long time and what I've come to expect is that something awful is going to happen sooner rather than later. Not you though. Your expectations are that SJ is going to win all their games by 40 points, because that is what Ken Pomeroy hath decreed. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Personally I don't think they're "underachieving." I think they're not playing as well as they're going to be playing in a month. Which is good, because it's December and nobody wins anything in December.

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2018, 08:09:43 AM »
Our OOC schedule in the 199-2000 was this: Samford (a loss, by the way) and New Mexico in the Vaunted CoSIDA CLassic, Stony Brook, Coppin St., St. Francis, Niagra, DePaul, Sacred Heart, Hofstra and Duke.

I'm sure our KenPom rating would have sucked then, too. I mean, seriously. You're not excited about this year because the computer tells you so? Sad. You're no TONYD3, but that attitude is bumming me out,

I'm sure our KenPom rating would have sucked then, too. I mean, seriously. You're not excited about this year because the computer tells you so? Sad. You're no TONYD3, but that attitude is bumming me out, bro.
You asked why there was no excitement on the board. I gave you the answer. I don’t care on a personal level. 10-0 is excellent.

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »
Underachieve means "to do less well than expected." Seriously, what were your expectations? Did you think they'd be 13-0 after 10 games? Would you be happy if they'd won their last three by 25 instead of 15? I've been a SJ fan for a very long time and what I've come to expect is that something awful is going to happen sooner rather than later. Not you though. Your expectations are that SJ is going to win all their games by 40 points, because that is what Ken Pomeroy hath decreed. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Personally I don't think they're "underachieving." I think they're not playing as well as they're going to be playing in a month. Which is good, because it's December and nobody wins anything in December.

Again, not my expectations. I was just addressing the question of lacking excitement over a 10-0 start.

If we were ranked, say, 28 in KenPom, we’d be ranked in the AP poll right now. With our schedule, the only way to do that is to win by greater than expected margins. We’ve done the opposite.

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »

Thank you! The next time we start 10-0 (maybe 30 years from now) no one will remember who we played this season.

Also helps to bet they won’t cover. Only thing better than 10-0 is making some coin in the process.

Foad

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
Again, not my expectations. I was just addressing the question of lacking excitement over a 10-0 start.

If we were ranked, say, 28 in KenPom, we’d be ranked in the AP poll right now. With our schedule, the only way to do that is to win by greater than expected margins. We’ve done the opposite.

Fortunately for me I don't care where they're ranked by KenPom in December, so I'm pretty happy. Or at least I was, till I went over to KP to have a look see. First thing I noticed was that SJ's NCSOSAdjEM was -6.63. That's completely unacceptable and embarrassing. Then I saw that there's a team called Saint Mary's, they're 7-5, with losses to 4-5 Harvard (#97) and UC Irvine (#87) and they're three slots ahead of undefeated SJU. I guess if I understood maths better I could figure out why being 7-5 is better than being 10-0. But I don't. Thanks for ruining it for me.

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
Fortunately for me I don't care where they're ranked by KenPom in December, so I'm pretty happy. Or at least I was, till I went over to KP to have a look see. First thing I noticed was that SJ's NCSOSAdjEM was -6.63. That's completely unacceptable and embarrassing. Then I saw that there's a team called Saint Mary's, they're 7-5, with losses to 4-5 Harvard (#97) and UC Irvine (#87) and they're three slots ahead of undefeated SJU. I guess if I understood maths better I could figure out why being 7-5 is better than being 10-0. But I don't. Thanks for ruining it for me.
Fair stance. Not everyone shares it, which is one explanation for the lack of “excitement.”

I regret trying to clarify this dynamic.

Foad

« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2018, 06:51:13 PM »
Fair stance. Not everyone shares it, which is one explanation for the lack of “excitement.”

I regret trying to clarify this dynamic.

You seem like a thoughtful and intelligent poster with whom I don't want to argue. But seriously, if you're not going to get excited now, when are you going to get excited? When they lose some games against some ranked teams? I just don't get it, I really don't.

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »

We just sold out against Wagner. It was a monsoon rain day all day and the stands were packed. That's proof positive of a high level of excitement.

Plus, I was watching one of the late Sunday night network sports wrap up shows and they had an entire St. Johns segment with Zach.

Fortify the bandwagon. It's gonna be carrying a lot of weight if this thing continues.

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »
Good crowd no doubt on a bad whether day but if you were there as I was you know it was not close to a sell out. Been to all CA games and crowd was about the same as last few that is the third deck was less than half full.

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
This is true.  With the Knicks and Rangers being where they are, and no playoff football for the Giants/Jets, the bandwagon is going to be popping especially if this crew gets off to a good start in Big East play.  Probably at its highest level since after the Uconn/Pitt games in Lavin's first year.  There is no other local team that is an appealing alternative for the January - March months.

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2018, 10:00:46 PM »
Good crowd no doubt on a bad whether day but if you were there as I was you know it was not close to a sell out. Been to all CA games and crowd was about the same as last few that is the third deck was less than half full.

I stand corrected then. I didn't go. The announcers described it as "packed" and I saw the sellout amount of 5602 listed in the box score.

However, I'm so excited about the season that I'm going Wednesday.