Game 15: @Georgetown, 1PM (CBS National)

• 86 replies

cjfish

Re: Game 15: @Georgetown, 1PM (CBS National)
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
Need Keita to rebound the ball. 1 rebound in 25 mins? That needs to improve

Keita's rebounding is the only negative I take away from this game BUT he did a good job in the middle boxing out and allowing our athletes to bound and a good job on Govan.  After reviewing the box score I noted several things:

1. Ponds' line was incredible, dominated.
2. 5 guys in double figures....as this continues opponents, who need to focus on Ponds, will pay the price, particularly from 3
3. Clark's fouling improving, still had some stupid fouls but GT's big guys are a handful

4. 23 assists and 15 steals overcame a big rebounding deficit
5. As I have been saying, quickness will usually beat size, to once again
 quote Mugsy Bogues, "basketball isn't for bigmen it's for basketball players"
6.  We are 8 deep, like the bench and I think by March we may see some Roberts.  I like him from the little I have seen but with him on the court we have a 4 man offense.
7. 11 TOs at the pace we play is excellent.

My Crystal ball sees a top 10 ranking after we go 4 of 5 in the next few weeks. ( I am an eternal optimist about 2 things, SJU hoops and my golf game)

Johnny23

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »
Keita moves his feet well for a big guy. He needs to get more boards and keep working on a little offense and he'll be a good contributor.

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »
Keita moves his feet well for a big guy. He needs to get more boards and keep working on a little offense and he'll be a good contributor.

Rebounding and defense is what is needed from him. A put back here and there always a plus

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »
Does LJ just make huge, clutch defensive plays at the end of every tight basketball game? Maybe that's just what he does.

Fouling 3 point shooters twice late in overtime was not smart basketball.

Ponds is mired in a, for him, FT shooting slump. 18 for 26 - 69% in conference play.

He's already made a career's worth of game-saving defensive plays at the end of games.  Some guys are just clutch.  Those long arms of his will produce plenty of nightmarish results for opponents at the end of close games when people tend to freeze up and short arm passes. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
Keita's rebounding is the only negative I take away from this game

I would like to see us play more of a traditional man to man and not switch ALL the time. Teams are starting to take advantage of the matchup off the switch. If we don’t have to, we shouldn’t have our bigs covering the opponents guards.

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »

I like the little I've seen from him thus far.  He's more held up at this point from the lack of minutes than the knee. 

If he could dominate the glass for 15-20 minutes and score a few inside buckets we become a top 15 team IMO.

We probably don't need him to play more than 5-7 against Nova and 8-10 against Depaul given their smaller rosters, so he should be well rested to give us minutes against Creighton on 1/16.

SJUFAN

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2019, 05:52:53 PM »
I like the little I've seen from him thus far.  He's more held up at this point from the lack of minutes than the knee. 

If he could dominate the glass for 15-20 minutes and score a few inside buckets we become a top 15 team IMO.

We probably don't need him to play more than 5-7 against Nova and 8-10 against Depaul given their smaller rosters, so he should be well rested to give us minutes against Creighton on 1/16.

That depends on Clark not being in foul trouble.