Patrick Beverley to St Johns?

• 15 replies
Patrick Beverley to St Johns?
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »
leaving Arkansas

Any chance of him coming here now? Would we want him?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/08/08/bc.bkc.beverley.ap/index.html

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Arkansas guard Patrick Beverley won't play for the Razorbacks this season, the school said Friday.

A news release from the Arkansas athletic department said: "junior guard Patrick Beverley will not compete for the Razorbacks in the 2008-09 basketball season" and offered no further details.

The 6-foot-1 Beverley started 33 games last season, averaging 12.1 points and a team-high 6.6 rebounds.

Re: Patrick Beverley to St Johns?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
Is he going to transfer or this another Stanley Robinson case?

If he does transfer will he be a one year wonder?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
Latest is he may head to Europe.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
If he could qualify, I would want this kid in a heartbeat. He is good enough right now to play professional ball and pretty sure he will go that route.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:12 AM »
I really don't think he'll be able to qualify.

He's certainly very capable of contributing and if he could qualify I'd love Roberts to go get him.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »
What would everyone prefer assuming in a dream world that either or of the two choices would happen if we wanted it to?

Beverly for 1 year or a stud 2010 recruit?

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »
What would everyone prefer assuming in a dream world that either or of the two choices would happen if we wanted it to?

Beverley for 1 year. If it's an actual stud 2010 recruit (top 10-20) and he's interested in Norm, he'll probably be here for only one year anyway. Beverley has at least been through the ropes of D-I basketball so from a conditioning and preparation standpoint he should be a ahead of the curve.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:48 PM »

Not even close... i'll take say "Air Jamaica" or Lamb over this kid in a heartbeat..  ;D .. btw - just imagine if Beverley had chosen SJU & than preceeded to fail out.... the so-called "super-fans"(lol) on all these boards would be killin' Norm & Co.. ::) .. good luck in europe kid... ur not worth the headache!!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
i guess you have to love eleven win seasons in year four to be a superfan.  count me out.  i like results.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »
patrik beverley is heads over heels what joel wright will be as a college player. i would take beverley in a second.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 01:05:56 AM »
Beverly produced at a higher level than any of St John's transfers.  He'd be worth the headache, just to have players who can hang in the Big East.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/08/15/PATRICK_BEVERLY_HEADED_OVERSEAS_ELITE_75_NEWS_AND_NOTES

Patrick Beverly is headed overseas.

The former Arkansas guard, who was slated to be the lone returning starter for John Pelphrey this year, told FOXSports.com that he’s signed with BDA Sports and will play professionally for a year before entering his name in next year’s NBA Draft.

Beverly was terrific last month at the LeBron James Skills Academy in a setting with many of the other top college players. Sources told FOXSports.com that he was suspended for this season due to academics.

However, Beverly said that wasn’t the case.

``It had nothing to do with academics,” Beverly said. “I violated NCAA rules and what happened went over the coaches’ heads. A lot of people thought it was because of grades, but I go to class every day.”

``I’m going overseas for a year and hopefully I’ll be able to come back and get picked in the draft,” Beverly said. ``This was hard because I was working out with the team every day and getting ready for the season.”

Now expect Arkansas to take a hit this season despite the fact that Pelphrey and his staff are bringing in plenty of talent. They’ll be extremely inexperienced having lost six of their top seven scorers from a year ago.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »
i guess you have to love eleven win seasons in year four to be a superfan.  count me out.  i like results.

Yeah, that's the ticket krusty.. ::) .. we all like/want results buddy... and i did expect more than 11 wins in year 4... what i didn't expect was for us to lose our BEST player for the last 3 years for most/all of the season & didn't realize it would take as long as it did to repair the damage with the local h.s./aau coaches... which in case u forgot, were severed & pissed upon by that bald stooge Jarvis... IMHO, anyone who knows anything about college hoops realized it would take a MINIMUM of 3-4 years to completely re-build this program. Unfortunately, thanks to a few key injuries(hill. mase) & a 3 year long NCAA investigation(once again, courtesy of ur pal baldy) we are, IMHO, one year behind schedule. Contrary to popular belief, Norm's "extension" was basically cosmetic in nature & because of the factors mentioned above the "brass" is giving him one more season to produce the desired RESULTS we all want & expect : post-season play(NIT/NCAA) & commitment(s) from local "star" recruits..  ;D .. U can take it to the bank, if this team falls on it's face again, we strike out with the locals & the student section is chanting "Norm Must Go" at seasons end... he will be history... and the "super-fans" who have been callin' for his head from day ONE will get their wish... but i think most actual fans of the program are rooting for a return to the post season & commitments from the likes of Lawrence, Parrom, etc..  8) .. It's put or shut up time for Norm & Co... let the games begin!!!

p.s. - When did Patrick Beverley become Ray Allen?.. lol ... once again, i'll take a "stud" 2010 local kid over a "head-case" who has done basically NOTHING on the college level & won't be doing so ever... psssst... he's headed to europe for a reason.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:15:39 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
joel wright is hardly a stud recruit at this point...
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »

p.s. - When did Patrick Beverley become Ray Allen?.. lol ... once again, i'll take a "stud" 2010 local kid over a "head-case" who has done basically NOTHING on the college level & won't be doing so ever... psssst... he's headed to europe for a reason.

Since Donald Williams was Ray Allen....

June 09, 2008

As for the St. John's visit, Williams, who has been compared by his coaches to Ray Allen of the Celtics, said: "It's a wonderful place, wonderful environment."

Haha. Kidding but anyways Beverly is damn good but I don't think anyone is overrating him. He'd be a serious upgrade to anything we have or had under Roberts. 

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »

Yeah, that's the ticket krusty.. ::) .. we all like/want results buddy... and i did expect more than 11 wins in year 4... what i didn't expect was for us to lose our BEST player for the last 3 years for most/all of the season & didn't realize it would take as long as it did to repair the damage with the local h.s./aau coaches... which in case u forgot, were severed & pissed upon by that bald stooge Jarvis... IMHO, anyone who knows anything about college hoops realized it would take a MINIMUM of 3-4 years to completely re-build this program. Unfortunately, thanks to a few key injuries(hill. mase) & a 3 year long NCAA investigation(once again, courtesy of ur pal baldy) we are, IMHO, one year behind schedule. Contrary to popular belief, Norm's "extension" was basically cosmetic in nature & because of the factors mentioned above the "brass" is giving him one more season to produce the desired RESULTS we all want & expect : post-season play(NIT/NCAA) & commitment(s) from local "star" recruits..  ;D .. U can take it to the bank, if this team falls on it's face again, we strike out with the locals & the student section is chanting "Norm Must Go" at seasons end... he will be history... and the "super-fans" who have been callin' for his head from day ONE will get their wish... but i think most actual fans of the program are rooting for a return to the post season & commitments from the likes of Lawrence, Parrom, etc..  8) .. It's put or shut up time for Norm & Co... let the games begin!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop blaming Jarvis...    maybe 2 years ago but come on...    its all on Norm now..      his program..   his recruits...   his assisant coaches...     AND  his team getting blown at home by 20 regularly..     his team losing to the likes of OHIO, TULANE & ILLIINOIS STATE..    him not "keeping the locals home" like he said he would....

Mason might have been the difference in two more wins last year. .   MIGHT HAVE...   so we win 13, not 11...   his two big performances of the season were in blow out losses..     give it a rest...    he sure wasn't hurt when he followed up the Lousiville game with that 9 point outburst against Georgetown. . I was courtside for that...    one word summed that up: EMBARRASSING

Last year you said it was make or break and now again its this year...  we were all going to "eating crow" come January...    when are you going to stop making excuses for this guy and realize he is not a good coach and not nearly the recruiter he has been made out to be...     if truly was a top level recruiter. . why the need to bring in OZ Cross and Kiami Young..    he is admitting he CAN'T recruit the city...    I think both moves are great but they reek of desperation by Norm...

None one on any St. John's site questions your level of being a fan but yet you ALWAYS take shots at people you refer to as "super fans"...   but take the rose colored glasses off...  we are tired of being a laughing stock...    that quote by the Big East asistant after it was announced Norm would be back says it all..    "there were 15 other happy coaches.."

As many people have stated before. .  our HOME RUN hire has turned out to be a pop to the catcher...