Marquette prediction thread dos

• 15 replies
Marquette prediction thread dos
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:11:56 AM »
Al McGuire    - 84
Dick McGuire - 69

Too much of a revenge factor for the team in general and Howard in particular. They've been lights out at home.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:12:14 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Marquette prediction thread dos
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 07:47:28 AM »
SJU-94
Marquette-76

jsk

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 07:51:04 AM »
Johnnies 84
Goldie’s 79

cjfish

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
sju 86  marq  82

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »
Payback's a b*tch.

Mil-a-wah-kay 87
SJU                75

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
To win at Marquette:

Forget the zone. It takes years to work a good 2 3 zone. The idea is have the guards play up, not back with the hands down. One guard should be in the face of point guard. A pass to either wing produces an immediate double team. Syracuse has had much success with the 2 3 as they play it well. Our laid back zone in the Duke game let Duke get 9 quick points to start the game. The switching man to man works well, stick with it. For St. John’s win they need the turnovers, which the switching man to man produces.
Ponds can’t do everything. Drive, pass, rebound, steal, are there but like anyone else there is a stamina factor. A one four offense can be beat with a guard as quick as Duke’s Jones. The best idea here is to have Simon be the point. Trimble could also do it. With Ponds as the two, he will more easily get his drives and uncontested threes. If he is doubled off the ball, then LJ, Huron or Clark should be open.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
To win at Marquette:

Forget the zone. It takes years to work a good 2 3 zone. The idea is have the guards play up, not back with the hands down. One guard should be in the face of point guard. A pass to either wing produces an immediate double team. Syracuse has had much success with the 2 3 as they play it well. Our laid back zone in the Duke game let Duke get 9 quick points to start the game. The switching man to man works well, stick with it. For St. John’s win they need the turnovers, which the switching man to man produces.
Ponds can’t do everything. Drive, pass, rebound, steal, are there but like anyone else there is a stamina factor. A one four offense can be beat with a guard as quick as Duke’s Jones. The best idea here is to have Simon be the point. Trimble could also do it. With Ponds as the two, he will more easily get his drives and uncontested threes. If he is doubled off the ball, then LJ, Huron or Clark should be open.

The reason you play a zone against this duke team isn’t to force double teams or pressure the ball, it’s to force a bad outside shooting team (and yes this duke team is a bad outside shooting team) into taking outside shots. Did it work? No, but I can understand their reasoning.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:03:40 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
The reason you play a zone against this duke team isn’t to force double teams or pressure the ball, it’s to force a bad outside shooting team (and yes this duke team is a bad outside shooting team) into taking outside shots. Did it work? No, but I can understand their reasoning.
Zone was the only chance they had.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:55:53 PM »
Since this is a Marquette thread, I sincerely hope that the team will be prepared to play man. And not just any man defense, but intense man to man and they need to take it seriously. They should be feeling the pressure of crunch.

Johnnies - 80
Marquette - 78

Ponds bounces back with 33.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »
I had this down as an 8-12 pt loss prior to the soul-stealing embarrassment at Duke.  I assumed a respectable game--which it obviously was not. 

Marquette is a nasty home team, but you can't take a beating like we just did and not come back with ferocity.  Ponds needs this game so bad for his NBA chances.  Howard is direct competition and currently ranked above him.  This is a kid he can school physically.  Howard can also go off for 40 at home.

My mind says Marquette, but my heart says that Ponds and company can gut out 40-45 minutes and steal it.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
Since this is a Marquette thread, I sincerely hope that the team will be prepared to play man. And not just any man defense, but intense man to man and they need to take it seriously. They should be feeling the pressure of crunch.

Johnnies - 80
Marquette - 78

Ponds bounces back with 33.
They guarded them well last time. Best defensive effort in the mulllin years. Even ponds was interested. Best game I was at in years.
Last year after Marquette home game I thought we figured things out. I was away for the game at Marquette. Wasn’t able to watch live. First thing i did 3 days later was watch when I got home. We got killed for those who don’t remember.
They played an awful zone.
Wojo- 90
Mullin- 72

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 12:36:43 AM »
Dogs by a touchdown

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »
I had this down as an 8-12 pt loss prior to the soul-stealing embarrassment at Duke.  I assumed a respectable game--which it obviously was not. 

Marquette is a nasty home team, but you can't take a beating like we just did and not come back with ferocity.  Ponds needs this game so bad for his NBA chances.  Howard is direct competition and currently ranked above him.  This is a kid he can school physically.  Howard can also go off for 40 at home.

My mind says Marquette, but my heart says that Ponds and company can gut out 40-45 minutes and steal it.

what record did you have us at this point in your predictions?

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:15:22 AM »
Marquette- 84
St. John's- 73

We have been playing poorly and will have tough time at their place. Marquette is way more talented than Creighton.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
Where is our friend who predicted a 90-72 loss and is first to comment on this board when we lose???? 8) 8)

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
They guarded them well last time. Best defensive effort in the mulllin years. Even ponds was interested. Best game I was at in years.
Last year after Marquette home game I thought we figured things out. I was away for the game at Marquette. Wasn’t able to watch live. First thing i did 3 days later was watch when I got home. We got killed for those who don’t remember.
They played an awful zone.
Wojo- 90
Mullin- 72

Where you at son? Negative Nancy.