Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S

• 129 replies

TONYD3

Re: Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
Just wanted to bump this here. Our PG and shooting woes could have solved in early spring. While we showed mild interest in Thornton we didn't inquire about Hyland or Mack.

Hyland is breaking out for VCU just dropped 16 on Dayton then 21 in big win over St. Bonny.

Mack has been really good for Clemson all year. Was instrumental in their wins over UNC & Duke.

Derryck Thornton hasn't set the world on fire but leading scorer on bad Boston College team.
If you are asking me I don’t know. I have watched all of these teams once or twice. What year are these kids? Would the have prevented us from getting posh?
As for Rutherford. He has been very good. He can’t shoot for shit. But the kid played his heart out yesterday. He seems like a quiet kid. But I have to think he is a great leader. This kid is certainly limited. But he brings it every game. This is the kind of kid you bring in.
It would be hard to see how hard he was working on TV.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:56:40 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
If you are asking me I don’t know. I have watched all of these teams once or twice. What year are these kids? Would the have prevented us from getting posh?
As for Rutherford. He has been very good. He can’t shoot for shit. But the kid played his heart out yesterday. He seems like a quiet kid. But I have to think he is a great leader. This kid is certainly limited. But he brings it every game. This is the kind of kid you bring in.
It would be hard to see how hard he was working on TV.

This wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular.

Hyland is a true freshman.

Mack is grad transfer as is Thornton.

Did McGriff prevent Posh? Then Hyland shouldn't have either. Vastly more talented.

Swing and miss on Thornton then Rutherford it is. Mack would have essentially replaced Sears. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
Just wanted to bump this here. Our PG and shooting woes could have solved in early spring. While we showed mild interest in Thornton we didn't inquire about Hyland or Mack.

Hyland is breaking out for VCU just dropped 16 on Dayton then 21 in big win over St. Bonny.

Mack has been really good for Clemson all year. Was instrumental in their wins over UNC & Duke.

Derryck Thornton hasn't set the world on fire but leading scorer on bad Boston College team.
Tevin Mack of Clemson is a swingman not a PG.

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2020, 02:34:20 PM »
Tevin Mack of Clemson is a swingman not a PG.

That is correct
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
I believe we just have to trust the staffs judgment on this. He’s trying to build a culture and seeing the effort Rutherford plays with I can see why Anderson would want him. I’m not familiar with those other players, but similar to Steere, it’s not just about talent but attitude as well.

« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »
digging back into not too distant history, he reminds me a bit of brownlee; both really good around the basket, don't try to do too much, defend 3-4 sufficiently.  if champagnie puts some more arc on his 3, i could see him being a 35% shooting from long range too.  this was a really nice late pickup.

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2020, 01:40:18 PM »
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:40:52 PM by gonzalo »

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »
Congrats young man. Has had a great year, defying expectations set here. Looks like he will be an excellent 4 year kid for us. Hope he has a few more top performances in him this year.

Johnny23

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »
Like I said when we got him it was a good get by Anderson and staff. Penny had a very nice frosh campaign and only going to get better. And to think some on this board thought he couldn't play at this level. Way to prove the doubters wrong.

Foad

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »
Like I said when we got him it was a good get by Anderson and staff. Penny had a very nice frosh campaign and only going to get better. And to think some on this board thought he couldn't play at this level. Way to prove the doubters wrong.

Now do Earlington Garfinkel.

goredmen

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
Great way for this staff to make recruiting inroads by having their first NYC area kid greatly exceed expectations right out of the gate. Should help Van Macon bigtime because local kids and coaches have noticed

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2020, 03:02:26 AM »
He is the lesser of the two brothers. I thought he was gonna wind up at A-10 level but thought if he went lower he'd be real impact. So definitely feel it's a reach for us.

;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Johnny23

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2020, 06:55:01 AM »
Now do Earlington Garfinkel.

Doubter #1. Own it.

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »
Doubter #1. Own it.

Champagnie looked rough his first few games, as most freshman do, but he has really figured out his role and plays smart.

I had a good feeling about a guy like ME who turned down offers to play football as a well regarded DE. Clearly a good work ethic and desire to find his strengths. Still surprised how athletic and fluid he has been with the ball this year.

Foad

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »
Doubter #1. Own it.

I'd never heard of Champagnie before he signed, which is why I didn't comment on him in this thread. What I said about him after seeing him play was that the front line of which he is a part was being overrated in the preseason based upon the ridiculously poor OOC schedule, which turned out to be spot on, that he was "impressive" and that "I wouldn’t want to play this front line in two years" and that he's "been a pleasant surprise and looks like an excellent four year player - he reminds me of Kyle Cuffe, except with a functioning frontal lobe." All of which makes you a liar. Own it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:28:29 PM by Foad »

« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »
I could care less if a player is 3, 4, or no stars. It's more about potential, production, and how the player has competed against his peers. For instance he wouldn't sniff Gregg Gant at Providence, Dahmir Bishop at Xavier, or Khalif Battle at Butler. He might be on par with Oscar Lopez at DePaul who's also a bit of a reach but Lopez who's nickname is the Lion plays incredibly hard.
I guess I don't know exactly what "wouldn't sniff" means.  Battle's averaging 3 ppg, Bishop averaged 1.6 over 10 games then transferred, Gantt's averaging 2.6.  He's on par with Lopex, who's averaging .7 ppg.   Champagnie's averaging 10 ppg, 6.5 rebs, shooting 45% from the field and 32% from 3.  The craziest part is that he's actually improved over the last 10 games, as his usage has increased against really good competition.

I'm not trying to pile on, because there were a lot of bad takes in this thread.  This is just to say that maybe this staff of professionals really does know how to identify talent and we should give them some time to build the roster with their guys before saying they can't recruit.   

Foad

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
I guess I don't know exactly what "wouldn't sniff" means.  Battle's averaging 3 ppg, Bishop averaged 1.6 over 10 games then transferred, Gantt's averaging 2.6.  He's on par with Lopex, who's averaging .7 ppg.   Champagnie's averaging 10 ppg, 6.5 rebs, shooting 45% from the field and 32% from 3.  The craziest part is that he's actually improved over the last 10 games, as his usage has increased against really good competition.

I'm not trying to pile on, because there were a lot of bad takes in this thread.  This is just to say that maybe this staff of professionals really does know how to identify talent and we should give them some time to build the roster with their guys before saying they can't recruit.   

I like Champagnie and don't want to pile on either, but what would the players Dave mentioned - none of whom I've ever heard of - done if they'd been third in minutes played and 4th in FG attempts on the 8th worst team in the conference? Probably they'd have better numbers. It's like what Branch Rickey told Ralph Kiner when he asked for a raise, we can come in last place without you.

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2020, 08:30:18 PM »
I like Champagnie and don't want to pile on either, but what would the players Dave mentioned - none of whom I've ever heard of - done if they'd been third in minutes played and 4th in FG attempts on the 8th worst team in the conference? Probably they'd have better numbers. It's like what Branch Rickey told Ralph Kiner when he asked for a raise, we can come in last place without you.
I mean I could imagine a whole lot of things in a world that doesn’t exist, but I’d rather focus on what they really are doing. Champagnie is the the only one with an Ortg over 100, he’s at 107.8. Some of those guys are in the 40s and 50s. He also has a 102 drtg during conference play. Ortg and drtg are not minutes dependent.

But yea, I guess champagnie is worse than the guy who couldn’t crack the lineup at 7th place Xavier and transferred out

Foad

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
I mean I could imagine a whole lot of things in a world that doesn’t exist,

And you just did, which is why you ignored what I said in constructing your straw man, which they call them a straw man because straw men don't have brains, as evidently you don't, thanks for playing.

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
And you just did, which is why you ignored what I said in constructing your straw man, which they call them a straw man because straw men don't have brains, as evidently you don't, thanks for playing.
good job. You win the internet today