• 157 replies

cjfish

Re: [Game Discussion] New Hampshire
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
Xavier tied with Missouri, 19 seconds, Miss ball. Great D by X, OT

TONYD3

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
I would give Caraher some burn as the backup center. He can’t move his feet on d. I’m guessing that’s why we’re not seeing more of him.
He lost 35 pounds to get faster. Kind of wish someone would have watched him play 3 years ago.

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
Hey Marillac-we shouldn't be concerned with Vermont?  Number one Kentucky went down at home to Evansville.

cjfish

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2019, 09:08:46 PM »
Wasn't able to catch this one, what happened to Heron?  5 pts?

Had a classic out of sync, timing off game.  Good win against a poor but well coached team, considering his performance.

Dan

« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »

Had a classic out of sync, timing off game.  Good win against a poor but well coached team, considering his performance.

so inconsistent

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »

Agree thought their coach did a great job

Poison

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2019, 09:23:10 PM »
He lost 35 pounds to get faster. Kind of wish someone would have watched him play 3 years ago.

I think he’s going to be very good here. He hasn’t been given enough time to show off everything in one game, but it’s coming. We just don’t have the scoring depth without him.
After losing Heron, who we know has games like this, Caraher stepped up inside and out. I’d like to see him post up more often.

Earlington and Caraher are probably our top scorers next year.

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
I think he’s going to be very good here. He hasn’t been given enough time to show off everything in one game, but it’s coming. We just don’t have the scoring depth without him.
After losing Heron, who we know has games like this, Caraher stepped up inside and out. I’d like to see him post up more often.

If earl and cara are our leading scorers next year we will finish in eleventh place.

ras

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
I think Roberts and Champagnie are pleasant surprises w good bb instincts.

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »
I'm as happy as anyone with these wins, but some people on twitter are ridiculous.

"This is an L in previous years." We were 12-0 last year, and only lost to Missouri and Arizona St. out of conference in 2017-18. Let's not go overboard.

TONYD3

« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2019, 09:38:53 PM »

Never saw it. But I think he did those things at Houston Baptist. He has hit a few and missed badly a few. If he is our 3rd scorer we are in big trouble.

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
Positives:
- roberts is a beast down low on both ends of the floor
- figgy is big time
- duke of earlington continues to make a living off cleaning up others trash
- penny looks poised beyond his years.  Old school 18 ft jumpers are a thing of beauty
- carahar can shoot the rock.  Have to find more minutes for him as we need his scoring

Negatives:
- greg williams.  Ugh.  Offensively inept.  Has no jump shot.  Cant have him on the floor anymore.
- rutherford.  Ugh.  Doesnt bring much to the table.  Also allergic to scoring.  Too many turnovers.
- herron.  He scares me as his disappears too much.  Still cant get that dreadful game from last years tourney out of my head.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:48:26 PM by Mullins Revenge »

Poison

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2019, 09:53:54 PM »
I think Roberts and Champagnie are pleasant surprises w good bb instincts.

Both have had great starts to the season. Champagnie is better than advertised. He was a mess in the exhibition, but since the second half on Saturday, he’s been a very good player overall. It’s also a surprise that he plays within himself, and now that jumper is starting to fall.

Everything I read about him pointed to a guy who was incredibly raw, but talented. He’s not so raw. Could make all rookie team if it weren't for his low high school rating.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:18:24 PM by Poison »

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2019, 10:58:41 PM »
I'm as happy as anyone with these wins, but some people on twitter are ridiculous.

"This is an L in previous years." We were 12-0 last year, and only lost to Missouri and Arizona St. out of conference in 2017-18. Let's not go overboard.

If Justin Simon catches that pass I think we beat Arizona St too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2019, 12:06:22 AM »
- CTC is going to be a lot more popular with the refs then Chris was.

- Gil Scott looks lean. He kept driving right then trying to finish with the left and it wasn't happening.

- Ed took a lot of tough threes. Many went in. Had a Dudleyesque moment in the first half going 0 for 3 after being fouled beyond the arc.

- At least Genesis has a good handle.

- Dr. Roberts and the Duke look much improved as sophs.

- The dance team now has two men and the supreme court has three women. Isn't gender equality grand?

- For 40 minutes of hell we sure start defending at the half quite a bit.

- I like the America East and feel it's an underrated conference (see Saturday at 400pm). Their big 3 of Albany, Vermont and Stonybrook have often been talented enough to defeat high major teams albeit usually not all 3 of them in the same season. Plus, the AE's University of Maryland Baltimore County, it doesn't even sound like a basketball team, became the first ever 16 seed to defeat a 1 seed. The University of Virginia - which does sound like a basketball team. The bottom of the conference, Maine and Binghamton, are so epically weak that the perception of the entire league get's dragged down by them. It's similar to what Depaul and Us do to the Big East.

- Following one of the first two contests, I had posed the question: "How was the crowd?" The admitted ambiguity of my inquiry led one of the many fans of other programs that frequent this board to respond that he's performed a Jungian analysis of the collective consciousness of the crowd and the mood of it is vastly improved under CTC.  I only wanted to know how many.

Which brings me round and round to my point. Tonight's crowd was about 1400 including the band, cheerleaders and dance team. It was general admission seating out there. The upper decks had about 20 people total in them. Last year, without the benefit of coming off a highly successful Ncaa tournament bid season, we routinely had 3x as many supporters midweek versus similar cupcakes. Hmmmph...What could possibly be the difference? I'm stumped.  New York will always support a winner and if CTC does well here, I guess we would eventually draw. But as of this printing...the program is probably getting what it deserves and losing $$$ big time. 4500 folks won't look good in the cavernous WMF arena either. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned after Mercer and CCSU.  Wonder how the fans of other programs on here feel about that?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:56:09 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2019, 01:35:32 AM »
So Carmine you are intimating by your post that the better attendance of last year was because Mullin was the coach. Guess people came out to see him sit on the scorers table, tie his shoes and curse out the refs for the hole game. Has nothing to do with season tickets price increase along with requiring a financial contribution, and Mullin adding 4 more years of futility to a once proud program. You may also want to change from referring to our new head coach as CTC and start referring to him as CFC as during the early season telecasts the announcers have claimed that we offered the job to 3 other coaches before turning to MA.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2019, 01:46:28 AM »
- CTC is going to be a lot more popular with the refs then Chris was.

- Gil Scott looks lean. He kept driving right then trying to finish with the left and it wasn't happening.

- Ed took a lot of tough threes. Many went in.

- At least Genesis has a good handle.

- Dr. Roberts and the Duke look much improved as sophs.

- The dance team now has two men and the supreme court has three women. Isn't gender equality grand?

- For 40 minutes of hell we sure start defending at the half quite a bit.

- I like the America East and feel it's an underrated conference (see Saturday at 400pm). Their big 3 of Albany, Vermont and Stonybrook have often been talented enough to defeat high major teams albeit usually not all 3 of them in the same season. Plus, the AE's University of Maryland Baltimore County, it doesn't even sound like a basketball team, became the first ever 16 seed to defeat a 1 seed. The University of Virginia - which does sound like a basketball team. The bottom of the conference, Maine and Binghamton, are so epically weak that the perception of the entire league get's dragged down by them. It's similar to what Depaul and Us do to the Big East.

- Following one of the first two contests, I had posed the question: "How was the crowd?" The admitted ambiguity of my inquiry led one of the many fans of other programs that frequent this board to respond that he's performed a Jungian analysis of the collective consciousness of the crowd and the mood of it is vastly improved under CTC.  I only wanted to know how many.

Which brings me round and round to my point. Tonight's crowd was about 1400 including the band, cheerleaders and dance team. It was general admission seating out there. The upper decks had about 20 people total in them. Last year, without the benefit of coming off a highly successful Ncaa tournament bid season, we routinely had 3x as many supporters midweek versus similar cupcakes. Hmmmph...What could possibly be the difference? I'm stumped.  New York will always support a winner and if CTC does well here, I guess we would eventually draw. But as of this printing...the program is probably getting what it deserves and losing $$$ big time. 4500 folks won't look good in the cavernous WMF arena either. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned after Mercer and CCSU.  Wonder how the fans of other programs on here feel about that?

Lack of fan support is a St.John’s tradition.

SJUFAN

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2019, 01:48:04 AM »

Really? The crowd size? So we should have kept an incompetent coach cause he put people in the seats?

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2019, 02:23:36 AM »

He’s 220...you’re saying he was 255? Where did you read that? It seems implausible to me.

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2019, 02:24:38 AM »
Really? The crowd size? So we should have kept an incompetent coach cause he put people in the seats?

And improved each season he was here making the NCAA tournament his final season.