LJ declares for draft

• 80 replies

Poison

Re: LJ declares for draft
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »
Is McGriff definitely gone? I haven't seen any source for this.

Only rumblings. I guess it would make sense if both Posh Alexander and John McGriff are Freshman points. The injury created an unbalanced roster at the most critical position.

Bringing in a fundamentally sound grad transfer point guard seems like a better way to go. Question is, will anyone come here?

Johnny23

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
Only rumblings. I guess it would make sense if both Posh Alexander and John McGriff are Freshman points. The injury created an unbalanced roster at the most critical position.

Bringing in a fundamentally sound grad transfer point guard seems like a better way to go. Question is, will anyone come here?

I've had enough of the holding out hope for quality transfers to land in Queens. I'd much rather play the current hand which is two quality PG's. Sure they are both frosh however one has already been in Anderson's system for a year.

I'll take my chance with these 2 frosh points. Posh looks talented and McGriff looks scrappy, tough with a good handle. Those are the kind of guys we need quarterbacking the offense. Two REAL pg's instead of these other guys playing out of position. That shit is so old and clearly hasn't paid dividends for us.

We need stability around here for a change. Some posters on here have been preconditioned by the last few staffs to always expect things to change every offseason.

We don't need that right now. Anderson's system is clearly taking hold. There were several on here who either said directly or intimated several times throughout this season that Anderson's non losing record streak was done. Well they were proven wrong and they know who they are.

With the pieces coming in next year combined with the current nucleus this team should improve by a good margin. We don't need anyone else leaving and coming. I think Anderson has this program right where he wants it heading into next season with a chance to dance in 2021.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »
I've had enough of the holding out hope for quality transfers to land in Queens. I'd much rather play the current hand which is two quality PG's. Sure they are both frosh however one has already been in Anderson's system for a year.

I'll take my chance with these 2 frosh points. Posh looks talented and McGriff looks scrappy, tough with a good handle. Those are the kind of guys we need quarterbacking the offense. Two REAL pg's instead of these other guys playing out of position. That shit is so old and clearly hasn't paid dividends for us.

We need stability around here for a change. Some posters on here have been preconditioned by the last few staffs to always expect things to change every offseason.

We don't need that right now. Anderson's system is clearly taking hold. There were several on here who either said directly or intimated several times throughout this season that Anderson's non losing record streak was done. Well they were proven wrong and they know who they are.

With the pieces coming in next year combined with the current nucleus this team should improve by a good margin. We don't need anyone else leaving and coming. I think Anderson has this program right where he wants it heading into next season with a chance to dance in 2021.

Do you think of JUCOs differently than transfers?

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 12:09:58 PM »

Transfers, whatever the reasons may be, have baggage.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:11:44 PM by Poison »

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »
You forgot losing Rutherford, McGriff as well.

Look I'm sure the team will play hard and scrappy but the facts are we are not a very talented or experienced team.
Hey Dave there has been nothing but supposition on Mcgriff leaving so if you have any more info spill otherwise taking your posts in totality just seems like more shade throwing at CMA by you.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
I don't conceptually.  I think it depends on the kid.  But Anderson has had great success with JUCOs throughout his career - looking at the entire body of work -- and we seem to be connected there between him, TJ and Demeo.

Johnny23

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »

I think of continuity above all else and my post clearly points to that. No need to keep shipping guys out in favor of other guys. Obviously there will always be a few but that shouldn't be the norm. We've got a good thing going. You seem to think that the talent coming in next year isn't going to make that big of a difference. I disagree. I think that in Anderson's system we will elevate by a good margin next season. He won 17 games this year (possibly 18 with the lead against Creighton at the half). Most of that core group is returning and some nice reinforcements coming in especially at critical areas of need (point guard) and a big guy. If we make it to next season with the roster as currently constructed I think we'll surprise. Although I wouldn't be opposed to one more big.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 03:24:41 PM »
I think of continuity above all else and my post clearly points to that. No need to keep shipping guys out in favor of other guys. Obviously there will always be a few but that shouldn't be the norm. We've got a good thing going. You seem to think that the talent coming in next year isn't going to make that big of a difference. I disagree. I think that in Anderson's system we will elevate by a good margin next season. He won 17 games this year (possibly 18 with the lead against Creighton at the half). Most of that core group is returning and some nice reinforcements coming in especially at critical areas of need (point guard) and a big guy. If we make it to next season with the roster as currently constructed I think we'll surprise. Although I wouldn't be opposed to one more big.

Big difference between the kid leaving and us asking the kid to leave. IDK if we’ve done that, or if we even do that.

But from what I’ve seen, our program can’t sustain not having continuity. It’s what has hurt us more than anything.

From Cedric Jackson to Quincy Roberts to TyShawn Edmonton to Malik Ellison we’re the suckers here for their growing pains, and then they get it together for another program.

There should be a consistent group of high school recruits that are here to be the program’s rock. That, and they need to get better each year they’re here. It’s not asking too much.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:27:34 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
Big difference between the kid leaving and us asking the kid to leave. IDK if we’ve done that, or if we even do that.

But from what I’ve seen, our program can’t sustain not having continuity. It’s what has hurt us more than anything.

From Cedric Jackson to Quincy Roberts to TyShawn Edmonton to Malik Ellison we’re the suckers here for their growing pains, and then they get it together for another program.

There should be a consistent group of high school recruits that are here to be the program’s rock. That, and they need to get better each year they’re here. It’s not asking too much.

I think we're finally starting to see that with Earlington, Champagnie, Williams and Roberts. A good base of high school recruits to build on and develop. All of these guys clearly got better this year. A model that I'm sure Anderson will continue to deploy.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 05:10:33 PM »
I think we're finally starting to see that with Earlington, Champagnie, Williams and Roberts. A good base of high school recruits to build on and develop. All of these guys clearly got better this year. A model that I'm sure Anderson will continue to deploy.

Absolutely. Earlington, Williams, Roberts and Champagnie all improved. We’ll need them all to take another big step next season.

jr49

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 06:25:47 PM »
I don't think it's about LJ not lining up with style but rather coach's lack of style allowed teams to key in on LJ and wear him down physically and mentally. Losing compounds that.
I think a second season with coach A could make LJ a better player. Somehow he must get better to be a pro anywhere.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »
I think a second season with coach A could make LJ a better player. Somehow he must get better to be a pro anywhere.

I agree, and the team was playing better at the end of the season, stead of spiraling into a never ending slump.

LJ was our best overall player this year, but he lacked consistency, and I think he has to recognize what kind of shape the NBA expects him to be in. It’s not out of the question that he catch on somewhere. It’s not happening this year. He’s behind way too many guys.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 02:04:31 AM »
You can’t have enough PGs. I’d gladly add the Arkansas kid who put up good stats under Anderson two seasons ago if he’s still available.

I wouldn’t hesitate to roll out two PGs and Dunn or Williams 1-3 if the shooting is there. Maybe Champagnie and Moore at the 4 and 5 to help in that aspect. You want to run? Then get the best ball-handlers and passers out there.

UConn won two national championships playing two PGs together.

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
Hey Dave there has been nothing but supposition on Mcgriff leaving so if you have any more info spill otherwise taking your posts in totality just seems like more shade throwing at CMA by you.

I thought it was said he was transferring is that not the case?

Also give it a rest with the shade talk. There are plenty of areas to improve on and there isn't much to be optimistic on. This isn't an anti-Anderson thing its simply current state of the program.

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
Transfers, whatever the reasons may be, have baggage.

So if a kid goes to Arizona his freshman year he's more of a risk than a kid who goes to Northwest Hills Community college?

I fail to see the logic here. They are both transfers in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with either. Has no one ever left a job or taken a new one? Have you dated a different girl?

Poison

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
So if a kid goes to Arizona his freshman year he's more of a risk than a kid who goes to Northwest Hills Community college?

I fail to see the logic here. They are both transfers in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with either. Has no one ever left a job or taken a new one? Have you dated a different girl?

Not in every case, no. IMO, transfers are going to be more likely to be entitled and sometimes even a little delusional.

Like Mikey Dixon and Ian Steere. Should they have left? I don’t think so. They belonged on the bench and they deserved to sit on it and watch until they were earned it.

We wasted a lot of seasons with Mullin taking transfers. Simon, worked out. He’s the only one who did.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:47:38 PM by Poison »

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
there isn't much to be optimistic on.

I’m sure plenty would disagree.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 09:33:10 PM »
I’m sure plenty would disagree.

We are clearly not an attractive destination for grad transfers, but other than that, we should be better next season.

We already saw what it looks like without Heron. We became better instantly after he stopped playing. By next year, we will have shed the dead weight from the Mullin era.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:04:53 PM by Poison »

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 11:22:16 PM »
We are clearly not an attractive destination for grad transfers, but other than that, we should be better next season.

We already saw what it looks like without Heron. We became better instantly after he stopped playing. By next year, we will have shed the dead weight from the Mullin era.

Yes, the dead weight. How about the nucleus... Williams,Earlington,Roberts.

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 11:25:03 PM »
Not in every case, no. IMO, transfers are going to be more likely to be entitled and sometimes even a little delusional.

Like Mikey Dixon and Ian Steere. Should they have left? I don’t think so. They belonged on the bench and they deserved to sit on it and watch until they were earned it.

We wasted a lot of seasons with Mullin taking transfers. Simon, worked out. He’s the only one who did.

Clark and Owens were pretty good.