How would you grade recruiting 1 yr in for Mike Anderson?

• 36 replies
Re: How would you grade recruiting 1 yr in for Mike Anderson?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 01:51:45 AM »
On paper it's a C/C- Usually a new coach and staff come in and make a splash. The fact it hasn't happended is concerning. 2021 isn't looking too promising either.

Of course the results on the court are what matter most. Champiagne had a nice freshmean year. I hope he continues his upward trajectory and does not regress in his sophmore campaign like Reggie Jessie, Eric King, Kassoum Yakwe etc...

Posh is the key guy. IF he works out well then Anderson will have some success here.

Anderson is being piad very well and has a beautiful home in Manhasset. This isn't charity work.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:31:14 AM by Redy2Rumble »

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
On paper it's a C/C- Usually a new coach and staff come in and make a splash. The fact it hasn't happended is concerning. 2021 isn't looking too promising either.

Of course the results on the court are what matter most. Champiagne had a nice freshmean year. I hope he continues his upward trajectory and does not regress in his sophmore campaign like Reggie Jessie, Eric King, Kassoum Yakwe etc...

Posh is the key guy. IF he works out well then Anderson will have some success here.

Anderson is being piad very well and has a beautiful home in Manhasset. This isn't charity work.

+1 except wouldn't give a grade on this year's recruits until I see them perform.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »

Two things.

Champagnie finished the season really strong. No reason to believe that he wouldn’t continue to get better.

Reggie Jessie was a hot mess as a senior, but his sophomore and junior seasons were strong. He filled an important role on the team.

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 03:13:50 AM »
Two things.

Champagnie finished the season really strong. No reason to believe that he wouldn’t continue to get better.

Reggie Jessie was a hot mess as a senior, but his sophomore and junior seasons were strong. He filled an important role on the team.

You're correct about Reggie. I meant Willie Shaw. Both local guys that turned into major disappointments after strong starts.

I like Champaigne. He has a knack for the ball. He showed some good instincts on the court. Hopefully he can stick that jumper this season.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 05:46:10 AM »
You're correct about Reggie. I meant Willie Shaw. Both local guys that turned into major disappointments after strong starts.

I like Champaigne. He has a knack for the ball. He showed some good instincts on the court. Hopefully he can stick that jumper this season.

Wilie Shaw was fine on the court.  His drop in production was mostly due to not getting perfect passes from Omar Cook like he did as a frosh.  We would have beaten Wisconsin in the tournament his soph season if he wasn't suspended. If Glover ever passed out of the post when he drew 2-3 defenders, Shaw could have been a much bigger weapon.

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
Wilie Shaw was fine on the court.  His drop in production was mostly due to not getting perfect passes from Omar Cook like he did as a frosh.  We would have beaten Wisconsin in the tournament his soph season if he wasn't suspended. If Glover ever passed out of the post when he drew 2-3 defenders, Shaw could have been a much bigger weapon.

His jumper suffered after his frosh year. He didn't hit the open look. He also never developed the ability to create his own shot. He was high all the time.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:07 PM »
He was high all the time.

This was what I was alluding to without saying in publicly.  He fell out of favor with Jarvis and inferior players like King and Bangura ate up his minutes. There was no question to me that he was our second best offensive player his first two seasons.  Ingram edged him out his third year.  Glover was a better overall player and I loved his effort, but the kid literally almost never passed out of double and triple teams in the post.

I would agree that his game never grew to create points, but the kid could really shoot.  Cook was a truly ridiculous passer his freshman year.  Hatten wasn't that kind of passer.  Hatten/Ingram and others helped get him better looks as a junior. 

Champ is different he can already score at three levels.  His shot will only improve. I don't know if he'll ever be a guy who can create consistently, though, but you can't cover him with a PF.

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 02:30:04 AM »
Marc Hsu killing it at Depaul. Just got a commitment from their third 4 star recruit in 2021.

Good possibility he would've been on Mullin's staff if he was retained. Anderson wasn't interested.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:31:32 AM by Redy2Rumble »

Poison

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:38 AM »
Marc Hsu killing it at Depaul. Just got a commitment from their third 4 star recruit in 2021.

Good possibility he would've been on Mullin's staff if he was retained. Anderson wasn't interested.

We’ll see how some of these decisions turn out. I can’t get on Coach Anderson for not recruiting a kid I’ve never heard of, but I am, and we all should be at least somewhat concerned that he has landed only one seemingly mid major talent for the 2021 class.

I don’t know what the hold up is, but it’s an undeniably slow start. Any basketball fan can see that. It can still change, and he can prove a lot of people wrong if kids like Alexander and Wusu are able to play at this level without first suffering 3 years of getting eaten alive.

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 02:20:46 AM »
Based on the “recruiting experts” and rankings the recruiting seems to be so-so. The two prior staffs certainly recruited better off-the-bat. We will see how the results translate on the court.

I saw something recently than until Seton Hall landed the Weston kid, they hadn’t landed a top 100 recruit since 2016. It obvious hasn’t stopped them from being solid. My point is outside of perhaps the top 50 kids in a class, I think it is all a crap shoot, and if lower ranked kids fit a system, can be coached up, and stay 3-4 years you can be a solid program.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
Based on the “recruiting experts” and rankings the recruiting seems to be so-so. The two prior staffs certainly recruited better off-the-bat. We will see how the results translate on the court.

I saw something recently than until Seton Hall landed the Weston kid, they hadn’t landed a top 100 recruit since 2016. It obvious hasn’t stopped them from being solid. My point is outside of perhaps the top 50 kids in a class, I think it is all a crap shoot, and if lower ranked kids fit a system, can be coached up, and stay 3-4 years you can be a solid program.

We won’t know if it will work until they get out there and show us. It’s one thing to lose local kids to UCLA and Nova, but we have to get our share. That’s always been the case no matter who the coach is.

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »
To be fair...

Last year; he brought in Penny and Dunn. We wouldn't have been NIT eligible without them.
This year; Coach recruited 4* local PG Posh Alexander, his sidekick Wusu, JuCo AA Cole, and Moore.
Next year; we have an athletic local PF, 3*.

To be fair, I would give him a B, with potential to grow based on how his recruits perform this season.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
To be fair...

Last year; he brought in Penny and Dunn. We wouldn't have been NIT eligible without them.
This year; Coach recruited 4* local PG Posh Alexander, his sidekick Wusu, JuCo AA Cole, and Moore.
Next year; we have an athletic local PF, 3*.

To be fair, I would give him a B, with potential to grow based on how his recruits perform this season.

That is very charitable of you.  I just don't understand why he can't find more talented players that fit his system.  I refuse to accept any excuses on it. I'll happily give him credit for getting pieces he can use that others didn't really want, but why can't he get a top 100 kid? That is so bizarre to me.

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
Rafael Pinzon, listed as a 3*, verbals to St Johns! Welcome Rafael
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:06:19 PM by braintrust »

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 10:25:53 PM »
Rafael Pinzon, listed as a 3*, verbals to St Johns! Welcome Rafael

Very Euro looking game.

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »
Remember when life was normal and by now we would have the complete schedule and would be marking our calendars and looking forward to early November?

Poison

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
Remember when life was normal and by now we would have the complete schedule and would be marking our calendars and looking forward to early November?

I’m looking forward to November.