DJ Kennedy is getting big

• 43 replies
DJ Kennedy is getting big
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:22:58 PM »
Looks like DJ has definitely been hitting the weight room hard.... He already has a knack for grabbing boards his added size should only help.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:23:30 PM by JJ »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: DJ Kennedy is getting big
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
Looks like DJ has definitely been hitting the weight room hard.... He already has a knack for grabbing boards his added size should only help.

NICE.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
I guess the strength and conditioning coach is doing is job well! I would like to see a pic of Coker.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »
Hope that dont take away no flexibility.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »
I hope he added some quickness to his first step.  If he ever gets a midrange jumper he could end up being real good.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kob24

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
he looks good and has confidence in his jump shot. Dele looks good but I said dj body was crazy and he looks more agressive

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »
Hope he is quick enough to defend; if he's stronger at the finish, he's an "and-1" machine.  When he was offensively aggressive, he drew a number of fouls at the hoop but didn't get the shot to go.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:13:06 PM »
I remember on media day last year that DJ told me he had gained 13lbs since the beginning of that summer. So if he did that again wow thats awesome. Also remember that DJ was a very very young freshman. I think he turned 18 sometime in Oct/Nov.

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »
i do think this will help a lot.  i do hope, like people said, he's still quick and flexible. 

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:02 AM »
its not like he went from 250 to 270....he's going to have the same quickness and flexibility i mean come on people. Must we always be such negative nancys?

sjd8886

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 02:18:44 AM »
I guess the strength and conditioning coach is doing is job well! I would like to see a pic of Coker.

was just going to say that...helped mase last summer gain about 12 pounds, now kennedy looks great...cant wait to see the other guys

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »
its not like he went from 250 to 270....he's going to have the same quickness and flexibility i mean come on people. Must we always be such negative nancys?

The concern about flexibility is not being negative..

DJ had a great freshman season for St. John's...   15 - 20lbs of muscle could have major impact on the one part of his game that really needs improvement. .   shooting..   

I hope he continues his solid play from last season...

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »
how does gaining weight help with shooting?  i'm asking this respectifully, since you coach and i don't.  maybe others who know can answer.

geno seemed to get bigger and stronger every year...but his shot, if i remember correctly, remained the same.

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »
Quite honest, big muscles is a bit overrated at the SG, SF position. Look at MJ, Kobe, Pippen, Doc, Malik Sealy. Those playaz had muscles but they wasn't jacked.

Muscles is a tradeoff. Y'all do lose speed and flexibility 'less yo name is Lebron or Ron Ron and you born wit Tyson's DNA.

Not sayin this'll happen wit DJ and all. Just wonderin is all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:10:46 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »
quentin richardson always got bigger in the offseason but always got slower, less fliexble during the season.  it's a legit concern.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
its not like he went from 250 to 270....he's going to have the same quickness and flexibility. i mean come on people. Must we always be such negative nancys?

Exactly JJ... some of these comments are laughable.. ::) .. DJ did what he had to do to be able to "finish" in this league. Plus, like kob said, he has also worked hard to improve his "j" as well.. ;D .. btw - didn't i tell u guys a month ago that he(plus coker/horne/evans) had gotten noticably bigger & stronger.. :) .. peace!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:04:57 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
it is a legit concern...but the fact of the matter is DJ needed some strength because he's a small forward.  I think the areas added strength helps the most is defensively(being able to body up), rebounding, and the ability to finish at the rim.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
This is crazy that people are actually concerned about him getting stronger.  Last year people were saying the kid needed to get stronger, now hes stronger and people think he might be too strong?? 

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »
kob, how is jb looking? has he gotten any bigger
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sjd8886

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
hey, he didn't go on the juice...he added about 12 or so pounds in the offseason, calm down guys...he'll still be quick and athletic...i mean, its not like he was big last year and added 12 more...he was skinny and added 12...look at kobe or lebron, guys who have a bit of muscle on their frame...are they not quick and athletic enough for you?