DJ Kennedy is getting big

• 43 replies
Re: DJ Kennedy is getting big
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
This is crazy that people are actually concerned about him getting stronger.  Last year people were saying the kid needed to get stronger, now hes stronger and people think he might be too strong?? 

I think alot of posters are talking in general terms rather than just about DJ.  Sometimes when people add muscle it can affect them negatively in other areas(Geno).  I do agree that it won't be the case with DJ. 

I think some of you are overreacting to the posters that overreacted to DJ getting bigger. ;D
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
quentin richardson always got bigger in the offseason but always got slower, less fliexble during the season.  it's a legit concern.

Terrible terrible analogy....Q Rich had bad knees which was the cause of him to get slower.....also he got bigger with age as in fat. Usually you get a little bigger when you're 28 than when you were 20. Q-rich was far from a hard worker.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
Geno was always big and stocky and he actually slimmed down for his senior year. Bottom line is DJ is going to need to bang on the boards and added size will only help him get better position and allow him to play better defense. I can't believe anyone would even consider disagreeing.

As for it effecting his shot? It might in a positive way. He might add some more range with more strength fact of the matter is his shot will be his shot. I heard he has been working on his J all summer long so if he is practicing we can all hope for improvement. I think what really needs to improve is DJ's shot selection.

Randomhero423

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »
he's not fat at all and he's a hard worker.  his back injury has something to do with it, but q-rich will be the first one to say the added muscle is what got him slower.  this year he is working to get rid of the added weight and to focus more on speed and quickness.  we do'nt know DJ's limit to where he will slow down, it may be with 10+ pounds, or with 20+ pounds, we just odn't know and it's a legit concern.  it's not hating to  have a concern.

from this off season:

"That was the most fun season we’ve had,” said Richardson, who called D’Antoni over the weekend to congratulate him. Richardson acknowledged that he needed to slim down and regain his conditioning to thrive under D’Antoni again. He is working out in Chicago with the renowned trainer Tim Grover.

“I’m here this summer working my butt off to get back in playing shape and to getting back to the Quentin Richardson that I used to be,” said Richardson, who gained weight and lost mobility after back surgery in 2007. “I know I’ll be a lot better if I get my speed and quickness and explosiveness back.”

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »
Geno was always big and stocky and he actually slimmed down for his senior year.

it took Geno (and his strength coach) until his senior year to figure out that he needed to slim down.  He was always jacked but should've put more emphasis on quickness versus adding bulk...JMO
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
he's not fat at all and he's a hard worker.  his back injury has something to do with it, but q-rich will be the first one to say the added muscle is what got him slower.  this year he is working to get rid of the added weight and to focus more on speed and quickness.  we do'nt know DJ's limit to where he will slow down, it may be with 10+ pounds, or with 20+ pounds, we just odn't know and it's a legit concern.  it's not hating to  have a concern.

from this off season:

"That was the most fun season we’ve had,” said Richardson, who called D’Antoni over the weekend to congratulate him. Richardson acknowledged that he needed to slim down and regain his conditioning to thrive under D’Antoni again. He is working out in Chicago with the renowned trainer Tim Grover.

“I’m here this summer working my butt off to get back in playing shape and to getting back to the Quentin Richardson that I used to be,” said Richardson, who gained weight and lost mobility after back surgery in 2007. “I know I’ll be a lot better if I get my speed and quickness and explosiveness back.”

Talk is cheap. Q-Rich's body has been on a downward spiral since he got into the league. He used to be a slasher type player but has been restricted into somewhat of a jumpshooter. Every season he says the same crap....what year has he actually come back in great shape? The answer is none.

Also you're trying to compare a player who was in premiere shape after college when he was an NBA pro who gained not good but bad weight over the course of his 8 year NBA career where he has had multiple injury problems.

to

A skinny college freshman who gained good not bad weight(strength) for his upcoming sophomore season.

Do you see the difference? There is a large difference between maturing into a man and maturing into an old man.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
What was wrong with DJ's shot selection?  I thought he drove to the basket well; and he just didn't shoot for half the Big East season.  Then again, I'm not sure anyone knew when to shoot... and someone has to save us from Mase's low percentage nights and shot selection -or more charitably put, since Mase has some scoring talent- diversify the offense.

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
You get mo range on yo J from yo legs.
Arms really aint got nuthin to do wit it, fo real.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
What was wrong with DJ's shot selection?  I thought he drove to the basket well; and he just didn't shoot for half the Big East season.  Then again, I'm not sure anyone knew when to shoot... and someone has to save us from Mase's low percentage nights and shot selection -or more charitably put, since Mase has some scoring talent- diversify the offense.

Well I should say his shot and non shot selection(or just overall decision making). There were times I thought DJ should shoot the ball and he didn't and he dribbled it too much which would result in a TO. He would drive the ball nicely, get by his defender, but then he got too deep into the paint. Maybe in highschool he could get away with that but I thought he should stop and pop a foot or two outside of the paint. Instead he got into paint and got blocked or realized he couldn't get a shot off and would travel or fumble the ball or kick it out for Geno to launch a deep 3 with seconds left on the shot clock.

I think DJ is more apt to shoot off the dribble since he doesn't get much arc on his shot anyways whereas a guy like Paris Horne is much better catching and shooting the ball. I also think DJ can have a nice lefty runner.

We'll see how DJ adjusts and adapts to the level of play this year. I think he showed flashes last season but hopefully the game slows down for him a bit this season. I think added strength will only help because we got out muscled a ton a last year. Also its not like DJ is Craig Smith all of a sudden but he looking more like a Big East player rather than a High School Player.

pmg911

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »
how does gaining weight help with shooting?  i'm asking this respectifully, since you coach and i don't.  maybe others who know can answer.

geno seemed to get bigger and stronger every year...but his shot, if i remember correctly, remained the same.

The bulking up could impact mechanics of shooting, in a negative way....    I have seen it happen many times before...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »
One thing I think he needs to improve on is his dribble.  He has the urge to speed up the offense and look for early opportunities, but he lost his dribble at times.  And if he could be a secondary ballhandler (or even run the point for a few minutes, but that's a pie in sky dream right there) that would be a help.

Having said that, EVERYONE needs to be better with protecting and dribbling the ball.  They were awful last year, and when they didn't turn over the ball, the ball handling/ movement slowed the halfcourt offense

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
how does gaining weight help with shooting?  i'm asking this respectifully, since you coach and i don't.  maybe others who know can answer.

geno seemed to get bigger and stronger every year...but his shot, if i remember correctly, remained the same.

The bulking up could impact mechanics of shooting, in a negative way....    I have seen it happen many times before...

Tru.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »

Its not like DJ is looking like this. If he did then you'd have a point but he is basically catching up to what Big East players should look like. You complain when our players don't develop and you complain when they do. Sure this time its a physical development but it should help his style of play no doubt.

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »

Bulking up  never affected my killer j

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008, 07:50:53 PM »
I can see this year a full court press with some combo of 4 of our guys who are 6'3 or bigger (with quickness and long wing spans) and 1 big man.

For instance:

Edmondson, Horne, Kennedy, Mase - then Coker/Wait/Evans/Burrell
'

kob24

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »
not to get off topic but mike jarvis was at the hall of fame induction sitting begins jerry west. I never met the man but he seems luke he holds some weight

Randomhero423

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »
didn't jarvis coach ewing in HS

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 08:03:34 PM »

Yes, he also coached Willie Shaw in college

sjd8886

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 09:48:17 PM »

yes, he was Ewing's coach at Rindge and Latin high school in Boston.