baseball veterans hall of fame ballot...again

• 16 replies
baseball veterans hall of fame ballot...again
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »
from the associated press...

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. (AP) -- Joe Torre, Ron Santo and Gil Hodges are among 10 players on the latest Hall of Fame ballot for Veterans Committee voters.
   Dick Allen, Jim Kaat and Luis Tiant are on the list, made up of major leaguers whose careers began in 1943 or later. Tony Oliva, Al Oliver, Vada Pinson and Maury Wills also were among the candidates announced Tuesday.
   Voting results will be announced Dec. 8 at baseball's winter meetings in Las Vegas. A player needs 75 percent to be elected -- the living 64 Hall members will vote.
   Torre was a nine-time All-Star, and hit .297 with 252 home runs and 1,185 RBIs in an 18-year career. He was the 1971 NL MVP.
   Now managing the Los Angeles Dodgers, Torre guided the New York Yankees to four World Series championships. The Yankees made the playoffs in all 12 of Torre's seasons in the dugout.
   Hall voters are allowed to combine Torre's accomplishments as a player and manager. Torre fell short in Vets panel elections in 2003, 2005 and 2007, with 45 percent his highest total.
   "I don't remember getting any more hits since the last time they turned me down. But that's certainly an honor. It's nice to still be in people's memories as a player," Torre said before Tuesday night's game at Pittsburgh.
   "But I don't spend any time thinking about it. This is something that's out of my control and I really haven't spent any time thinking about it. They've changed the rules so many times," he said. "I've seen players politick and lobby for it and I've just never been that guy. I may be doing it right now without knowing, but I'm really uncomfortable talking about it."
   Last month, a ballot of 10 players from pre-1943 was announced: Bill Dahlen, Wes Ferrell, Joe Gordon, Sherry Magee, Carl Mays, Allie Reynolds, Vern Stephens, Mickey Vernon, Bucky Walters and Deacon White.
   A 12-person panel that includes Hall of Famers Bobby Doerr, Ralph Kiner and newly elected Dick Williams will vote on the older players, with nine votes needed for election.
   Induction ceremonies will be held on July 26.

Re: baseball veterans hall of fame ballot...again
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »
Question??? Is Albert Belle not in the Hall because he was a jerk....or are his numbers not good enough?

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
the baseball writers didn't like him because he didn't grant pre-game interviews...so they're screwing him.  they also screwed him out of an mvp award.

he was an honor student in high school who received an appointment to the air force academy.

i looked up some of his stats:

College (LSU):

1st team All-SEC (1986, 1987)
South 1 Regional Tournament MVP (1986)
2nd team All-America (1986)
3rd team All-America (1987)
Major League Baseball (Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles):

AL home run leader (1995)
AL RBI leader (1993, 1995-tied with Mo Vaughn, 1996)
AL doubles leader (1995-tied with Edgar Martínez)
AL runs leader (1995-tie with Edgar Martínez)
AL slugging percentage leader (1995, 1998)
AL outfield assist leader (RF) (1999-tie)
Named to Silver Slugger team (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998)
All-Star (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
First player to ever hit 50 HR and 50 Doubles (1995)
The Sporting News Player of the Year (1995)
Baseball Digest Player of the Year (1995)
Led major leagues in the 1990s with 1,099 RBI
Led major leagues in extra base hits in the 1990s with 711
4th player ever to have 8 straight seasons with 30 HR and 100 RBI
Inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame (June 2005)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »
i should add bill madden's comment after belle retired in 2001:

He was no credit to the game. Belle's boorish behavior should be remembered by every member of the Baseball Writers' Association when it comes time to consider him for the Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:31:57 PM »
i should add bill madden's comment after belle retired in 2001:

He was no credit to the game. Belle's boorish behavior should be remembered by every member of the Baseball Writers' Association when it comes time to consider him for the Hall of Fame

Belle was full of roids

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:16:27 AM »
Thanks for the info. Never liked the guy myself but he was one of the most feared hitters during my generation....put up HOF numbers as far as I am concerned. The reality is the HOF have racists and anti-semites.....no room for Albert Belle????

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:25 AM »
If Albert Belle gets in, so should Mookie Wilson

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:05:32 AM »
Who feared Mookie Wilson?

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:25:17 AM »

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 07:01:25 AM »
no jim rice?

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
jim rice should also be there.  belle isn't even on the ballot anymore.  gone after two years of eligibility.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »
Thanks for the info. Never liked the guy myself but he was one of the most feared hitters during my generation....put up HOF numbers as far as I am concerned. The reality is the HOF have racists and anti-semites.....no room for Albert Belle????

Belle averaged nearly 40 HRs and 120 RBIs for 10 years...sounds like hall of fame numbers to me.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »
Who feared Mookie Wilson?

Opposing team catchers and Bill Buckner of course

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
from the associated press...

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. (AP) -- Joe Torre, Ron Santo and Gil Hodges are among 10 players on the latest Hall of Fame ballot for Veterans Committee voters.
   Dick Allen, Jim Kaat and Luis Tiant are on the list, made up of major leaguers whose careers began in 1943 or later. Tony Oliva, Al Oliver, Vada Pinson and Maury Wills also were among the candidates announced Tuesday.
   Voting results will be announced Dec. 8 at baseball's winter meetings in Las Vegas. A player needs 75 percent to be elected -- the living 64 Hall members will vote.
   Torre was a nine-time All-Star, and hit .297 with 252 home runs and 1,185 RBIs in an 18-year career. He was the 1971 NL MVP.
   Now managing the Los Angeles Dodgers, Torre guided the New York Yankees to four World Series championships. The Yankees made the playoffs in all 12 of Torre's seasons in the dugout.
   Hall voters are allowed to combine Torre's accomplishments as a player and manager. Torre fell short in Vets panel elections in 2003, 2005 and 2007, with 45 percent his highest total.
   "I don't remember getting any more hits since the last time they turned me down. But that's certainly an honor. It's nice to still be in people's memories as a player," Torre said before Tuesday night's game at Pittsburgh.
   "But I don't spend any time thinking about it. This is something that's out of my control and I really haven't spent any time thinking about it. They've changed the rules so many times," he said. "I've seen players politick and lobby for it and I've just never been that guy. I may be doing it right now without knowing, but I'm really uncomfortable talking about it."
   Last month, a ballot of 10 players from pre-1943 was announced: Bill Dahlen, Wes Ferrell, Joe Gordon, Sherry Magee, Carl Mays, Allie Reynolds, Vern Stephens, Mickey Vernon, Bucky Walters and Deacon White.
   A 12-person panel that includes Hall of Famers Bobby Doerr, Ralph Kiner and newly elected Dick Williams will vote on the older players, with nine votes needed for election.
   Induction ceremonies will be held on July 26.

Back to the point at hand.   I won't speak pre 1943, that's more Newsie's era  ;), but I would think Oliva, Wills and Torre - only because his managerial career counts on this committee - should get in from the not so oldtimers list.  Expect Kiner to make a big push for Hodges.   ;)

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:22:53 PM »
the baseball writers didn't like him because he didn't grant pre-game interviews...so they're screwing him.  they also screwed him out of an mvp award.

he was an honor student in high school who received an appointment to the air force academy.

i looked up some of his stats:

College (LSU):

1st team All-SEC (1986, 1987)
South 1 Regional Tournament MVP (1986)
2nd team All-America (1986)
3rd team All-America (1987)
Major League Baseball (Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles):

AL home run leader (1995)
AL RBI leader (1993, 1995-tied with Mo Vaughn, 1996)
AL doubles leader (1995-tied with Edgar Martínez)
AL runs leader (1995-tie with Edgar Martínez)
AL slugging percentage leader (1995, 1998)
AL outfield assist leader (RF) (1999-tie)
Named to Silver Slugger team (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998)
All-Star (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
First player to ever hit 50 HR and 50 Doubles (1995)
The Sporting News Player of the Year (1995)
Baseball Digest Player of the Year (1995)
Led major leagues in the 1990s with 1,099 RBI
Led major leagues in extra base hits in the 1990s with 711
4th player ever to have 8 straight seasons with 30 HR and 100 RBI
Inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame (June 2005)

he got caught cheating with corked bat. .  everything he did before that has to be suspect...

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
i read belle used more cork than a vintner...

he got caught.  so did greg nettles and sammy sosa.  norm cash admits he did it.  so does amos otis. remember billy hatcher's bat exploding?

hall of famers gaylord perry (saliva), whitey ford (cut ball with wedding ring), don sutton (scuffing) all admitted to getting an edge.

you can't kill these guys for looking for an edge.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
i read belle used more cork than a vintner...

he got caught.  so did greg nettles and sammy sosa.  norm cash admits he did it.  so does amos otis. remember billy hatcher's bat exploding?

hall of famers gaylord perry (saliva), whitey ford (cut ball with wedding ring), don sutton (scuffing) all admitted to getting an edge.

you can't kill these guys for looking for an edge.

Could not agree more. I know the guy was a JERK but you can't argue with his numbers AND the HOF already has some Jerks in there why not add one more. He should be judged more by what he did on the field.....just my opinion.