Student Pep Rally - Stormfest

• 164 replies

mkras99

Re: Student Pep Rally - Stormfest
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »
I am told that StormFest is open to all - not just to students.

kjd01067

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 12:17:57 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/19/st-johns-recruiting-update/#more-3810

Lance to Visit St. John’s Thursday (Updated)
Posted on Sep 19, 2008 9:14 am

Fresh off an in-home visit last week with St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts, Lance Stephenson will visit St. John’s Thursday for the 2008 Red Storm Tip-Off, according to sources close to the situation.

The event will run from 5:45-8 and will serve as St. John’s Midnight Madness event. It is open to students and the media, but not the general public. There will be a free student BBQ and the men’s and women’s teams will be introduced. Both Roberts and women’s coach Kim Barnes-Arrico will speak to the fans, and both teams will then scrimmage.

Other recruits will also attend, as well as members of the current recruiting class, including South Kent standout Omari Lawrence.

As for the 6-5 Stephenson, ZAGSBLOG broke the news earlier this week that Roberts and assistant Fred Quartlebaum had an in-home with the Stephensons last Thursday. He won’t decide until the spring, but St. John’s appears to have as strong a shot as anybody.

Having already locked up a recruiting class of Malik Stith and Omari Lawrence, Roberts has one scholarship remaining for the Class of 2009.

St. John’s is focusing on Stephenson, James Padgett and Jordan Williams. If the Johnnies were to land commitments from two of these players, they would need someone to leave the team in order to free up a scholarship.

Coach Roberts had an in-home visit with the 6-foot-8 Williams on Wednesday and Williams had previously said St. John’s had shown the most interest in him. He recently had an in-home visit with Coach Gary Williams of Maryland, and plans to visit there officially.

“I can tell you that I am going to take an official visit there [Maryland],” Williams told TerrapinTimes.com. “I am thinking about coming down for their Maryland Madness, since it sounds like that is also Homecoming Weekend and a lot will be going on. Right now, that is the tentative plan, but it’s possible I could visit before then. This process is just beginning in terms of home and official visits, and I am not ready to say anyone is leading at this point. But Maryland is definitely going to be in the mix.”

As for the 6-7 Padgett, he had an in-home with Coach Roberts on Monday. The latest on him is that he will NOT take an official visit this weekend to Pitt, where Rice guard Durand Scott will be. Pitt just got a commitment from power forward J.J. Richardson of Pitt, meaning it could be out of the Padgett Sweepstakes.

Lincoln coach Dwayne “Tiny” Morton said coaches from Maryland and Villanova visited Padgett at school Thursday, and Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State will come in next week.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
the kids these days and their spellings.  MC is supposed to be for Master of Ceremonies.  I suppose if you're talking about a performer, who, with a DJ is not the sole master of ceremonies the "emcee" selling is okay, but really.  M! C!

Very common and accepted spelling:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/emcee

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »
So Zagoria get that wrong. There'll be a lot more people that way.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:01:51 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »

I don't think its open to all....students and media
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »

I don't think its open to all....students and media
Now the same person who told me it was open to all is saying it may not be.  Looks like he/I got it wrong, which would be a shame because I was planning on going.

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091908aad.html

2008 Red Storm Tip-Off To Open St. John's Basketball Seasons On Sept. 25

Student-only event featuring men's and women's hoops scrimmages, Red Storm dunk contest,

Sept. 19, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - Head men's coach Norm Roberts, head women's coach Kim Barnes Arico and the Red Storm men's and women's basketball teams invite all St. John's students to the 2008 Red Storm Tip-Off, a season-opening fan celebration scheduled for Sept. 25 at Taffner Field House. A free BBQ and fan fest open the festivities at 5:30 p.m. on the courts at Taffner, with on-court activities are set to begin shortly after.

ADMISSION IS FREE to all students who want to catch a sneak preview of the 2008-09 Red Storm basketball teams, win fantastic prizes or test their St. John's basketball smarts against special guest and 1982 grad Howie Schwab of ESPN's "Stump The Schwab." Members of both teams will be introduced, and Coach Roberts and Barnes Arico will address the student fans about the excitement of the upcoming season. Both teams will scrimmage as part of what is sure to be an outstanding evening of contests, prizes, giveaways and performances at St. John's Queens Campus.

A $30,000 shooting contest highlights the evening's many giveaways, with other prizes including tickets to the St. John's-Duke game at Madison Square Garden, Nike prize packs and apparel, Red Storm gear, gift certificates to the campus bookstore and much more.

Before the Red Storm Tip-Off begins, students will enjoy D.J. music, inflatable games, a free BBQ and giveaways from the Powerade Street Team. The festivities conclude with a slam dunk contest featuring members of the men's basketball team, and all students are invited to stick around for an afterparty featuring D.J. Flo and a step-exhibition by members of ALFSA, St. John's Greek life organization.

Four starters and 10 letterwinners return for Roberts and the Red Storm in 2008-09, including an All-BIG EAST honorable mention selection in senior Anthony Mason Jr. (14.0 points per game, 4.4 rebounds per game), BIG EAST All-Rookie team member Justin Burrell (10.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg), sophomore guard-forward D.J. Kennedy (7.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg) and second-year point guard Malik Boothe (2.5 assists per game). The Red Storm men open their season on Friday, Nov. 14 when local squad LIU visits what will be a newly-renovated Carnesecca Arena.

Fresh off its quarterfinal appearance in the Postseason WNIT, its fifth-straight BIG EAST Tournament berth and an 18-15 record, Barnes Arico and the women's basketball team open their preseason slate on Nov. 6 against the X All-Stars at Carnesecca Arena at 7 p.m. The women return their leading scorer in second team All-Met (MBWA) selection Monique McLean (14.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg) and third-leading scorer in 2008 BIG EAST All-Freshman team selection Sky Lindsay (8.5 ppg). Seniors Kelly McManmon (7.6 ppg) and Kristin Moore (.625 FG pct), and juniors Joy McCorvey (5.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg) and Aricia Mitchell (4.6 ppg) are among the Red Storm's top returnees.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:05:37 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »
the kids these days and their spellings.  MC is supposed to be for Master of Ceremonies.  I suppose if you're talking about a performer, who, with a DJ is not the sole master of ceremonies the "emcee" selling is okay, but really.  M! C!

Very common and accepted spelling:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/emcee
right...like OK and okay.

kob24

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 09:09:18 AM »
I'm in there

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »
I'm in there

I'll see you there then

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 11:00:45 PM »
Students just don't care....

On facebook I helped out the school invite more people....

672 people still awaiting reply.

373 said Maybe Attending.

343 said Yes they Will be Attending.

but

569 said NO they Won't be Attending.

Also you have to figure about 50% of the people who said yes will actually attend and maybe about 10-25% of the maybe's will attend.

Also I invited about 1,000 people for the school if I were them I'd would have invited about 10,000 to the event not just matching my 1,000.

Randomhero423

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »
if the student turnout is weak then that's pathetic.

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 11:57:01 PM »

Your father teaches at the University and you're considering going elsewhere. You aren't any better.

kob24

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »
but isn't the turnout usally bad I mean it is a city school so kids can find other things to do and some don't live on campus

Randomhero423

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:07 AM »

Your father teaches at the University and you're considering going elsewhere. You aren't any better.

or maybe it's because i want to get away from NYC and that some schools (seton hall, syracuse) have better communications programs.

if i go to st john's i will support the team like crazy.

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »

or maybe it's because i want to get away from NYC and that some schools (seton hall, syracuse) have better communications programs.

if i go to st john's i will support the team like crazy.

As a teenager I know I wouldnt want to go to a school where my pops worked

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
but isn't the turnout usally bad I mean it is a city school so kids can find other things to do and some don't live on campus
i don't buy that.  the drinking age is 21 so that eliminates a number of options.  the school is offering free food and a chance to get out and enjoy a fun event.

the school paper. the greeks and other clubs should be out in force.

weak.

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »
Some teachers should just bring their classes to the event

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 01:55:21 AM »
This is classic St. John's here for you. Things like this were very typical during my years of undergrad and I see nothing is changing. I hear people want change, they are doing more, they want to pump up student interest with the basketball team, etc.

Well on the Thursday the 25th(same day as the tip-off) the African Students Association(ASA) is hosting an event right by student housing outside on the basketball courts by Montgoris dining hall directly overlapping the time of the pep rally.

3-on-3 Tournament- First 8 teams to sign up get to play $200 cash PRIZE!
Dunk contest- First 10 people to sign up get to play
$50 cash PRIZE!

FREE REGISTRATION
Sign up with your team of (3 or 4) at the campus concierge located in the lobby of the Library

or email asa.stjohns@gmail.com to register your team.

Registration deadline is Sept 24th

For more info contact asa.stjohns@gmail.com

MUSIC BY DJ ZEKE "THE GO TO KID"

I guarantee this has double the attendance of the pep rally. Also people will be outside all afternoon watching this 3 on 3 tourney as they will hear music from their room and wonder what is going on, will see it on their way to/from class, sit outside hang out watch the tourney or girls walking by and socialize, watch the dunk contest after, say to themselves gee I'm hungry let me go to the dining hall I'm standing right outside in front of, eat, say they're tired, walk back to their dorm, sit on the crapper for 20 min, study/watch tv/play video games etc.

Not once will they think about the pep rally as their attention was completely taken away or their energy is drained and they are too lazy to go to this after. How does the school even allow this to happen?

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
If this is the DJ Zeke that I think it is, then it'll be none other than Isiah Thomas' son playing the music.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap