Poison

Re: STJ IS RANK 6th IN NY PER CHN
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »
Unless he knows something that we don't:

Siena    08 RPI    66/99    & bringing in 1  2 star recruit

St Johns    RPI   156/126                  2  2 star recruits

Niagra       RPI   153/116                  1  1 star recruit

Manhattan RPI   274/226                  2  1 star recruits

Hofstra      RPI   242/208                2 star recruits (same as us)

On paper, not counting injuries, above is my expected order below Cuse.
I really dont know the other teams other than Hofstra & who they lost.

thoughts ?

I agree with that. Thing is Norm doesn't evaluate very well, so a one star recruit at Niagara or Manhattan could be a stud. Where as our kids are probably accurately rated.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
Yeah Niagara and Manhattan are loaded with one star studs.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

Laugh all you want, but they beat us regularly. Personally, I don't find that funny.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:13:32 AM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

Laugh all you want, but they beat us regularly. Personally, I don't find that funny.

Regularly? Haven't we beat Niagara 9 out of the last 10 times we played?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 12:45:52 PM »

I'm surprised at you JJ. They waxed us in 04-05, beat us at home last year.

Regularly? Haven't we beat Niagara 9 out of the last 10 times we played?

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
Poison- this is a fan site- stop wasting our time with your BS
You want to say we've stunk- thats an opinion.

If you want to qoute facts , get them right
I think Niagra beat us twice in last 10 years- thats regularly ?

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/121507aaa.html
The 04 Niagra win was their 2nd in 23 tries in Jamaica
I dont know what our % is away, I'd guess its over 75% over last 15-20 years

I dont think we've played Manhattan in over 5 years ?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:50:44 PM by JJ »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »

Sorry to have hurt your feelings, but apparently you were in grade school when Niagara took an NCAA SJU team to school at MSG. It's homers like you that try to pull ridiculous stats out of their behind to make us seem better than we are.

If I want to say we suck, it's my opinion, and it's also a FACT. Get a grip.

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

Sorry to have hurt your feelings, but apparently you were in grade school when Niagara took an NCAA SJU team to school at MSG. It's homers like you that try to pull ridiculous stats out of their behind to make us seem better than we are.

I don't mean to make you (us) sound old but that was 24 years ago.  All these undergrads weren't even born yet, much less in grade school.   Pardon me while I go strain my carrots.

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »

I agree that we have been terrible- you did not "hurt my feelings"

I'm 55. Been following St Johns since 1972.

Yes I am a "homer". What ridiculous stats did I pull out ?

You said they beat us "regularly"- To me that means often or more than 50% of the time.
I might have it wrong- have they beaten SJU more than twice over last 10 years ?
Molloy '71

kjd01067

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »
To clarify things here... I went back and looked at the schedule for the past 20 years.  In the last 20 years we are 16-4 against Niagara.  2 of those Losses were at home (07/08 and 97/98) and 2 were away(04/05 and 88/89).  Sorry Poison but you are dead wrong Niagara might have beat us last year  but they have been our wiping boys for the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:04:30 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 10:53:48 PM »
no one can debate this program has seen better days pre harrington.

so niagara beat us two of the past four years...and this is a maac team we're talking about.

we're stuck with recent history until the administration shows a willingness to turn this around.

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »
Play nice boys!

Anyways I think I might have posted this already but if not this article is based upon the last 5 years. So we are 2-2 or 3-2 in that time frame against them(too lazy to look it up). So the author of this article Shawn Siegel(founder of CHN) said this is based upon that and his own subjectiveness. So one could argue for Niagara as one could argue for St. John's. Niagara has made the NCAA tourney even though they got smacked by Kansas while St. John's has been bottom feeding in the Big East. One could argue if you put St. John's into the MAAC and Niagara into the Big East they might have flip flopped identical results. Its a close call but no way no how can you put Hofstra and Manhattan over St. John's in this in my opinion.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »
no one can debate this program has seen better days pre harrington.

so niagara beat us two of the past four years...and this is a maac team we're talking about.

we're stuck with recent history until the administration shows a willingness to turn this around.

So you're saying that lately they own us? Clearly they do.
So much so that we're ducking them now. A staple on the SJU schedule.

The point of bringing them up was that they are evaluating talent better than we are.
Tyrone Lewis may not have been anything more than a 1 star recruit, but he's better than anything we got. 

Poison

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »
Play nice boys!

Anyways I think I might have posted this already but if not this article is based upon the last 5 years. So we are 2-2 or 3-2 in that time frame against them(too lazy to look it up). So the author of this article Shawn Siegel(founder of CHN) said this is based upon that and his own subjectiveness. So one could argue for Niagara as one could argue for St. John's. Niagara has made the NCAA tourney even though they got smacked by Kansas while St. John's has been bottom feeding in the Big East. One could argue if you put St. John's into the MAAC and Niagara into the Big East they might have flip flopped identical results. Its a close call but no way no how can you put Hofstra and Manhattan over St. John's in this in my opinion.

What would make any of us think that we could handle the MAAC?
Last year, it took the only made 3 point attempt ever by Tomas Jasuloines to hold off their worst team. Marist.

Now the Northeast conference is a different story. We're made for the conference.
Although not sure if we could beat Binghamton this year.

sjd8886

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
lets not argue this stupid bs about being in different conferences...put some maac teams in the big east and see how many games they win...if one of those teams isnt sienna then dont expect more than 2 or 3...we're a big east team...if we are gonna leave the big east for a mid major we might as well disband the team, bc at that point the level of caring would be so low no one would care

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
lets not argue this stupid bs about being in different conferences...put some maac teams in the big east and see how many games they win...if one of those teams isnt sienna then dont expect more than 2 or 3...we're a big east team...if we are gonna leave the big east for a mid major we might as well disband the team, bc at that point the level of caring would be so low no one would care

My point was that we are a Big East team and that alone should propel us a bit or give us the benefit of the doubt. If you throw in those teams into the Big East they wouldn't survive.

Play nice boys!

What would make any of us think that we could handle the MAAC?
Last year, it took the only made 3 point attempt ever by Tomas Jasuloines to hold off their worst team. Marist.

Now the Northeast conference is a different story. We're made for the conference.
Although not sure if we could beat Binghamton this year.

Poison I think you are getting pretty defensive and really aren't helping your case with exaggerations. Marist was in the middle of the MAAC last year with 18 wins. I get it maybe you think its pointless debating that we're better than teams like Hofstra, Manhattan, Niagara, Siena when we should be head and shoulders better and we haven't been. Its frustrating for sure but facts are facts and we're just discussing things. Newsman said it before we've seen better days but we're stuck talking about recent history. I think we've been better than we're getting credit for here but then again its not much better nor something to be proud about.

Also side note I like Binghamton a lot next season they are going to be a pretty good sleeper team. They've done a good job at getting some talent in there and they are getting a brand new arena.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »

No one cares now.

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
if no one cared...there would be no one posting here.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
if no one cared...there would be no one posting here.

I wish I didn't care.

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
we will not get respect until we win...you guys need to understand that...they won't even hint that we'll be successful this year bc there's no reason to from their perspective, and you should understand that's warranted...we've had the ability to compete in previous seasons and got our ass kicked...we've had teams before pre season that commanded some sort of optimism and we got our ass kicked...we've had good recruiting classes before, and we've got our ass kicked...so until we win, we will continue to get abused in the press...well, this year we have a bunch of talented sophs, a kid who by all means should be a 2nd round draft pick if he can pull his head outta his ass, and everyones spirits are high bc of whats going on on the recruiting front, so........WIN....its year 5, no more &*%$ing excuses, just win some ballgames

Fantastic post.

Everyone knows nyc is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kinda town. Meaning we are one 20 plus win season and one top 5 recruiting class away from re-gaining all the respect for sju basketball that was lost under the prior regime. Lets hope we accomplish both of the aforementioned goals over the next six months.

Then and only then will ridiculous articles like this one cease to exist.