Redshirt rule ?

• 6 replies
Redshirt rule ?
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »
If we were so lucky, & Williams committs now, and Lance
in the spring (& no transfers) what is the redshirt rule?

(Ignore the likelyhood that if Lance comes, someone would
see the projected drop in time & transfer)

Can Stith come on an "Aid" scholarship & not suit up?

What about the Sophmores?

Is it for medical reasons only?
Molloy '71

Re: Redshirt rule ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »
limited to 13 ships including redshirts.

I've heard people mention the "aid" scholarship before but not sure how that would get by the NCAA unless it truly is financial aid and not a scholly/grant.  But why would a player accept aid if they can get a free ride somewhere else?

If Jordan commits now...and Lance decides to come in the spring the staff will "make" room.  But lets not get ahead of ourselves.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
I believe a player can  redshirt and play a 5th year only if he graduates and is taking graduate classes. Anthony Glover was announced before games not as a 5th year senior (or just a senior) but as a grad student.

LJSA

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
I believe a player can  redshirt and play a 5th year only if he graduates and is taking graduate classes. Anthony Glover was announced before games not as a 5th year senior (or just a senior) but as a grad student.

I think that's because he was Prop 48, though. He needed to graduate on time to be awarded a fifth year. Not sure if same rule applies if you are redshirting and already academically eligible.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »

I think that's because he was Prop 48, though. He needed to graduate on time to be awarded a fifth year. Not sure if same rule applies if you are redshirting and already academically eligible.

Out and out redshirting such as they do in football is very rare in college hoops.  Most hoops redshirts are medical in nature.

That said if a coach chose to do so (and essentially forfeit one of his 13 scholarships for a year as well as delaying that ride getting back into the rotation for an extra year) he can and that player has 5 years to play four if he is fully qualified as a freshman and stays in good academic standing.  He does not need to graduate in four years to get his fifth year.  That only applies to prop 48 partial qualifiers which, I believe I've read somewhere, Big East teams are not allowed to take anymore per conference rules.  Anthony Glover was prop 48.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »
Daryl Hill could have redshirted but he wouldn't have graduated on time so therefore he played.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:56:48 AM »
If Lance commits here there will be room.  Even if we, for some reason, sign six player this next month, there will be room for Lance.  Scholarships are renewed year to year.  My guess would be that Edmonson goes elsewhere if we sign Lance.